PDA

View Full Version : Which rev kit(426ex) or Dana ignition

pnut420
11-21-2003, 09:13 PM
I am getting my 426 back soon and need to get a rev kit, my buddies have Sparks and they work great, hard starting in cold weather but thats it. What other brands are good? I dont want to get a WB though.

Also I was thinking about getting the dana(sp?) ignition. I plan on putting it on the dyno, so I wanted to be able to mess with the spark curve and have the adjustablilty on hte dana. I know a few people have them on here, so how have they worked up for everyone.(I know they are tricky to dial in, but was the performance gain worth it?)

JD400exrider
11-21-2003, 10:14 PM
I was running one from the local honda shop. (Carmichael Honda Motor Sports) I am thinking it the one off the 250 motorcycle. I never had a problem with starting. I took it off when i went to sand mountain. Did not want to take the chance of over reving. I really could not tell much difference on or off. I would say ride it first to see how it runs.

pnut420
11-22-2003, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by JD400exrider
I was running one from the local honda shop. (Carmichael Honda Motor Sports) I am thinking it the one off the 250 motorcycle. I never had a problem with starting. I took it off when i went to sand mountain. Did not want to take the chance of over reving. I really could not tell much difference on or off. I would say ride it first to see how it runs.

Yeah I might do that for now, but my buddies have 416's with stage 2 hotcams, porting, X-6, and they hit the limiter pretty hard. I tend to over do things sometimes so I might just keep it stock or get the dana and program it like 700 RPM above stock.

Colby@C&DRacing
11-22-2003, 09:56 AM
If you are wanting the best go with the Dyna. They are super adjustable and have no problem starting in the winter.:)

pnut420
11-22-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
If you are wanting the best go with the Dyna. They are super adjustable and have no problem starting in the winter.:)

Sweet, PM me a $ on that. I added some stuff to my order as well. :D

cals400ex
11-23-2003, 12:56 AM
i can tell you that an ignition box help alot on a built bike. i took mine off since it was hard starting in the winter and i constantly hit my rev limiter in drag races. from me having to shift early, i lost several bike lengths in the drag races. by the way mine is not really built either. i just have a 11 compression 406, sparks pipe, stage 2 cam, filter, jetting, etc. i can imagine that the adjustable box has to be better. however, i don't have any experience with it.

400exBro
11-23-2003, 06:42 AM
how much does a Dyna box cost? and how are you able to change the ignition curve etc...?

pnut420
11-23-2003, 12:40 PM
$290 for the dyna ignition, $180 for the stuff to program the curve and Rev limits, etc... I'm going to do this if I do a stroker motor, but for $470 I can do other things to make it faster, like a webcam with hardened rockers.

pnut420
11-23-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
i can tell you that an ignition box help alot on a built bike. i took mine off since it was hard starting in the winter and i constantly hit my rev limiter in drag races. from me having to shift early, i lost several bike lengths in the drag races. by the way mine is not really built either. i just have a 11 compression 406, sparks pipe, stage 2 cam, filter, jetting, etc. i can imagine that the adjustable box has to be better. however, i don't have any experience with it.

Yeah a couple tmes we just started theirs with the stock Rev box, then after it warmed up we would switch over, worked good...

K_Fulk
11-23-2003, 12:59 PM
I have had my 440 for over 2 years and have just run the stock box. If your going to mess with the timing i would get the ignition.

Colby@C&DRacing
11-23-2003, 01:06 PM
The dyna comes set from the factory with four different curves to choose from it is as easy as flipping a switch. If you want make your own curves then you need the software. It provides 800% more spark which mades the bike start better

MarkyNark
11-23-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
The dyna comes set from the factory with four different curves to choose from it is as easy as flipping a switch. If you want make your own curves then you need the software. It provides 800% more spark which mades the bike start better

Don't forget about the Vortex. 10 curves in one box, and two of them are switchable on the handlebar. $399.00.

Big Gun also has the single curve CDI box for $92

You may also want to consider a 7%-9% HP gain with an intellegent performance rectifier. $120

Just some ideas ...

Marky

pnut420
11-23-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by MarkyNark
Don't forget about the Vortex. 10 curves in one box, and two of them are switchable on the handlebar. $399.00.

Big Gun also has the single curve CDI box for $92

You may also want to consider a 7%-9% HP gain with an intellegent performance rectifier. $120

Just some ideas ...

Marky

The Vortex sounds a little more user friendly than the dyna. I dont think I would be able to make my own curves, etc... SO 10 preset sounds good. How do you have 2 of them on the handlebars. Got a link to their website.

The Dyna come with 4 differnet curves to choose from, but what about the Rev limiter, does it keep it the same, give you a couple options... :confused:
Kevin

MarkyNark
11-23-2003, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by pnut420
The Vortex sounds a little more user friendly than the dyna. I dont think I would be able to make my own curves, etc... SO 10 preset sounds good. How do you have 2 of them on the handlebars. Got a link to their website.

The Dyna come with 4 differnet curves to choose from, but what about the Rev limiter, does it keep it the same, give you a couple options... :confused:
Kevin

The Vortex usually has a mix of power curves. The one I have for my DS has some stock curves (with different rev limits), some racing curves for high RPM power (with different rev limits) and some traction curves, where the power is at the low RPM for higher torque (also with different rev limits). The most advanced power curve with the highest RPM for racing is hardwired into a two way switch (in this case the 'A' position) on the handle bar. The 'B' position can be any of the other 9 curves; chosen by a weather proof switch on the CDI itself. The idea here is that you can have a high torque CDI curve to ride in the trails or launch from a starting line, then when higher RPM are reached, switch to the race curve realtime.

Located here at : http://www.on-dunes.com/Details.cfm?ProdID=26

pnut420
11-23-2003, 04:06 PM
After looking at the Dyna I might go ahead and order that. The reason being is that it is only $280 and you get 4 spark curves and 4 rev limits to choose from, then if I wanted to get experimental I could add the programming kit for $180. I just cant come up with $400 for an ignition box right now.

MarkyNark
11-23-2003, 04:11 PM
No problem! Its good to have choices. I have heard nothing wrong with the Dyna.