PDA

View Full Version : Chain and Sprockets.. Which brand?

pnut420
11-21-2003, 05:43 PM
Im starting to put my quad back together and plan on getting new sprockets and a new chain. I want to get a 14 tooth front and a 15 tooth, and stock rear sprocket.

Which brand is good and the best bang for your buck(I dont need any to fancy). I mostly ride dunes and MX tracks, I also dont want to get new sprockets, so I want something that lasts, both chain and sprockets. Also what is a good combo for gearing for MX tracks. I have a stage 2 hotcam, 11:1 JE, 426 bore, porting, etc, so I want to try to stay into my topend.(I know a 14 up front does good, but what rear, stock with 14 front?)

Thanks for any help, Im going to order in 2 or 3 days, who has the best deals on this stuff??

skidplate
11-21-2003, 06:30 PM
I went with sunstar sprockets and a DID O-ring chain, they've been holding up well for me. I got them from dennis kirk.
JB

Taco
11-21-2003, 06:36 PM
I got Talon sprockets and a DID xring chain from the quadshop and its been doing great:D

pnut420
11-21-2003, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Taco
I got Talon sprockets and a DID xring chain from the quadshop and its been doing great:D

Yeah for the chain I think I might go DID xring to get better wear than the o-ring. Im not to into maintenence, I just want to ride.

The sprockets is where Im confused where to go still. The front Im not to picky about, but I want a really good rear. The self cleaning aluminum are cool, but have their weaknesses. Any more opinions????

Taco
11-21-2003, 07:05 PM
ive got about 30 hours on mine and they are still holding up great.

JD400exrider
11-21-2003, 09:12 PM
I am having no problems with my rear sunstar. Bought it at C&D It is the steel one rather than the aluminum one. I can't see paying the extra coin for the little weight savings on a rear sprocket.

pnut420
11-21-2003, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by JD400exrider
I am having no problems with my rear sunstar. Bought it at C&D It is the steel one rather than the aluminum one. I can't see paying the extra coin for the little weight savings on a rear sprocket.

Ill probably go with that then. I cant wait to get it back together, we will have to go riding some time. If you dont mind driving, I know of a MX track to ride at about an hour and a half from Sac, let me know if you want to go riding.

JD400exrider
11-21-2003, 10:10 PM
No problem. But I will say we have some real nice places to ride about an hour up the hill. Ride for 5-6 hours and still have not seen every thing.

pnut420
11-22-2003, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by JD400exrider
No problem. But I will say we have some real nice places to ride about an hour up the hill. Ride for 5-6 hours and still have not seen every thing.

Thats sounds like a good idea actually. I wouldnt mind stopping by centerfolds on my way :) . Just have to go when it is not raining. Where are these places you ride and is their any restrictions, exhaust, etc.

simoniz
11-22-2003, 05:02 AM
So what is everybody going with in the rear as far as teeth. 14 tooth front, ?? rear??

Taco
11-22-2003, 06:36 AM
I run 14 -38 or 15-38 depending on the kinda riding im doing

pnut420
11-22-2003, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Taco
I run 14 -38 or 15-38 depending on the kinda riding im doing

For the 100 yard sand drags and comp hill Im going to put a 14 tooth on, but when I want to do 200 yard or more or just go all out for awhile Im going to use a 15 tooth with a 38 on the rear, but Im not quite sure what gearing Im going to run on the MX track, I only ride one so when I get the motor back Ill figure out what gearing I like. Im just going to go with steel sprockets and just get a few rather than getting two expensive sprockets...