PDA

View Full Version : tapered bearings for stock hubs

boogiechile
11-21-2003, 02:54 PM
Anyone tried to find tapered bearings to replace the frt hub units? I have located the inner but can't find a match for the outer. I could even use some that are wider and machine the hub a little but the OD and ID need to be the same. I want to go to taper, leave out the sleeve, drill the hub for a grease fitting, and preload the bearings with the spindle nut. It would be much stronger and easier to service and a whole lot cheaper than buying aftermarket tapered bearing hubs.

bmw500hp
11-22-2003, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by boogiechile
Anyone tried to find tapered bearings to replace the frt hub units? I have located the inner but can't find a match for the outer. I could even use some that are wider and machine the hub a little but the OD and ID need to be the same. I want to go to taper, leave out the sleeve, drill the hub for a grease fitting, and preload the bearings with the spindle nut. It would be much stronger and easier to service and a whole lot cheaper than buying aftermarket tapered bearing hubs.

I have some info on the subject and a potential supply. The info's on the palm and at the shop, remind me the week following thanksgiving, will be on vacation next week. :D

K_Fulk
11-22-2003, 10:05 PM
My motor builder has done that with some stock hubs. Pm me and i could give you his number if you want to ask him some questions about it, He could answer them better then i could.