PDA

View Full Version : Dropping Motor Out of Frame - Help

Quadzilla
11-21-2003, 01:27 PM
Hopefully this is easy. I'm going to drop the motor out of the frame to send it off to get rebuilt in the next week or so. Is it as easy as disconnecting the fuel and ignition systems, pulling the chain (I still have the stock one on with no master link) off of the counter sproket and then un-bolting the motor mounts and dropping out of the bottom, or is there more to it? Does having the stock chain still on with mo master link cause an issue? Other issues or advice? Thanks!!!!!!!

11-21-2003, 01:44 PM
I didn't have that hard of a time but I also had the entire quad pulled apart. The motor was the last thing i took out. Not hard at all.

You should add what type of quad you have in your sig so we all know what your wanting help with...;)

Quadzilla
11-21-2003, 01:53 PM
400EX, soon to be a 424 (Ross Piston). So the chain does not affect anything or did you have yours off? Thanks again. I'll update my sig now.

Doibugu2
11-21-2003, 02:08 PM
you can take the small sproket off in the front, so you can take your chain off. You will have to adjust the tension on the swinger.

It took me less than an hour to take off the swinger, a-arms and a few other things.

Have you ever greased your pivot bolt? What year is yours?

Quadzilla
11-21-2003, 02:12 PM
No I can't say that I have. It's a '99. It has low hrs on it. I sold my old '99 400EX (lots of hours) and bought my friends who rode it all of a handful of times since he bought it in '99. The cool part was he sold it to me for the same price I sold my old one for. Anyway, back to the pivot, should I use lithium grease? Does the swingarm have to come off (or be loosened) for the motor to come out? Thanks!

Doibugu2
11-21-2003, 02:15 PM
do you have a repair manual? You should get one if you don't.

If the pivot bolt has never been greased, you might have a serious problem on your hand. Rico can post a pic to show you what he went through getting his out.

Yes you will have to take the swingarm off, or at least disconnect it.

I've just used waterproof grease on mine.

kgbg
11-21-2003, 02:16 PM
Cross your fingers. The swing arm pivot bolt must come out, it goes through the motor, most that have not been greased will kick your butt. Do a search for swing arm bolt, if you get stuck.
You don't have to loosent eh chain to remove it:
Just un bolt the rear sprocket and rotate it until it comes off the hub, then the chain is loose wnought to get off the front and chain.
Its easy to yank the motor.

Juggalo
11-21-2003, 04:42 PM
yes, pray to god your pivot bolt isn't stuck. mine was horrible, i had to use the cutting torch to get it out! nothing else would work!