PDA

View Full Version : how to tell if ya ran to lean or rich

tumbler440Ex
02-12-2002, 02:06 PM
i have a 440 ex i just got the motor in anr runnin a lill while ago and the next day wasnt goin fast it went clink clink clink and i shut it off worring it was goin to blow the motor .
i was wondering what colour should the intake and out take valves be the same colour and there was always a knocking noise to the motor i just thought it was breakin in can someone help me out here would it be a spring a valve aint stickin out i have the head cover and head off i see the piston its slnted a bit to the let outtake where the valve would hit its down a bit there but it slides still goos in the cyndler when i move it slowly not alot uncase if scratchs the cynlder so if someone help me out here be great thanxs tumbler:confused:

sprtrx300ex
09-21-2002, 05:57 AM
I have a stock motor with K&N filer. I took out the spark that i had in there for a month and it was black. What could this be? Wrong oil? I have no mods to the engine and run regular unleaded gas

ESR250R
09-22-2002, 09:47 AM
if the plug is black its too rich, if its white then your runnin lean, u want it to be a coffee brown.

stocktires
09-28-2002, 10:17 PM
or a "paper bag" brown
Tumbler, to get help you need to ask a question, not a big long mixed up, crooked, hard to follow sentence

sprtrx300ex
09-30-2002, 07:18 PM
ok, I was running lean so i adjusted the screw. I was then to rich. After going back and forth i took out the plug for another look and it was part black/park white. I ran it for a good 10min before i checked the plug. Why wont it just turn brown!!!!
oh yea, my bike is all stock now.

sprtrx300ex
10-01-2002, 04:37 PM
ANYONE?

10-03-2002, 01:17 PM
well you SHOULD be running 92 octane gas.... but thats not the problem you have just lettin you know! ragular is fine every once and a while but i use premium practically all the time

sprtrx300ex
10-03-2002, 02:19 PM
even when i run premium it is either black or white. I don't need to jet cause it is all stock. What to do

Lorduss
10-04-2002, 11:27 PM
if you have a K&N its not stock, and may need a rejetting by a notice. put in a new plug, then run it for a while and check the color, a old plug well tend to hold its old color from running at a certin mixture for a prolonged perioud of time.

10-04-2002, 11:37 PM
Tumbler it sounds like you may have a broken piston skirt, but its hard to tell by what you tried to say. Since you have it all apart anyway just remove the remaining 4 bolts and pull the jug then see what the piston looks like.

If your not up to doing this then get us a measurement of the diff the piston is down front to back.

sprtrx300ex From what you saying the jetting sounds fine. The info lorduss gave is correct and you will not get any useable info from the used plug. You also need to look way down the insulator to get an accurate reading (even more so on a 2 stroke) since many of the unleaded fuels will discolor the plug.

Hope that helps