PDA

View Full Version : dismounting tires

Creech52
11-20-2003, 07:13 PM
OK I have to switch a set of tires and rims, I have good tires on my stock rims but the rims are beat to hell and bent all up, so my friend gave me a set of douglas or ITP wheels with shot tires so I gotta put my tires on the other wheels. I figured it would be kool cuz I work as a mechanic at a car dealership so I could just pop em off and switch them on our tire machine, but it seems as though the 10 in. rims wont fit on the machine, the clamps measure at 11 inches or so in diameter. So whats the best way to go about this, I can easily break the beads (with the machine) but I cant dismount them and we only have one tire iron, and I dont have any other tire tools.... any ideas?

dannyboy20
11-20-2003, 07:53 PM
cut em. My frind works at a gas ststiong and we tried to put some on and broke the machine. Them tires are tough

Creech52
11-20-2003, 08:06 PM
um thatd ruin my tires.... and be pointless

11-21-2003, 05:20 AM
RUN THE BEAD OVER WITH YOUR TRUCK! it works perfect & is really easy unless they are the stock tires, those moth&!#$s suck

Creech52
11-21-2003, 05:26 PM
I can easliy get them off the bead
Its just getting them off the wheels that I need help on. can I do it with a big screw driver and a tire iron and how do I do it.

AtvMxRider
11-21-2003, 05:42 PM
If you have already broken the bead then the hard part is over. Just take 2 big screwdrivers and pry the tire off. Spray the beads with wd-40 helps.

DamageInc
11-22-2003, 11:56 PM
Screwdrivers can tear the bead and cause a leak. Just buy a couple of spoons; they don't cost that much. Also, WD40 is petroleum and shouldn't be used for tire lube; use soapy water or silicone product (spray or grease).

If you have a friend at a different shop, talk to them; some of the tire machines have clamps that will fit an ATV rim.

Creech52
11-23-2003, 01:35 PM
Thanx for the help guys, I used the machine to break the bead then just used a tire iron a screw driver, worked fine. Thanks again for the info.

stupid driver
11-23-2003, 08:05 PM
i took mine off today. well sorta,

Started at 7 am, i got one front rim off 4 hours later. Screwdriver didnt work to well. I figure, what the hell, so i broke down and took them to wally world. 14 buks and 1 hour later, my razors are mounted and done.

Out_Sider
11-23-2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by stupid driver
i took mine off today. well sorta,

Started at 7 am, i got one front rim off 4 hours later. Screwdriver didnt work to well. I figure, what the hell, so i broke down and took them to wally world. 14 buks and 1 hour later, my razors are mounted and done.

thats what i do :blah:

11-23-2003, 08:40 PM
i usually get a friend to help me...its very easy to get it off the tire...the hardest part is the bead...takes me about 30 seconds w/ a friend of 5 minutes by myself