PDA

View Full Version : #42 pilot jet

yellow machine
02-12-2002, 01:36 PM
Last night I installed a #42 pilot jet in my 400 ex, checked the valves, put her back together, fired her up and to my supprise it would not idle unless I gave it a bunch of gas. I ended up putting the #38 back in because there is a poker run coming up this weekend and I need the bike running right. Could someone tell me what is going on, I think I probably need to adjust the pilot screw, has anyone else had to do this? Any info from those who have put in a new pilot jet would be helpful.

Blackguywithouta400
02-12-2002, 01:53 PM
What mods have you made to your engine?
Since the jump between the 38 and 42 is kind of large you really need to be carefull how man turns you adjust it at. If you were all the way in on the 38 and needed a bigger pilot then make sure you bring it back out to the stock setting and start adjusting from there. Hope that helps you out. I am running 42 Pilot with Two turns in on the screw i should prob go in one more. I hope this works out for you it should work even with a stock bike but will require a little bit of tuning.

400exBro
02-12-2002, 03:31 PM
Ya, i had the same problem, turn it all the way in , then go to stock, i think i ended up less than what the manual was telling( i think i am at 2 or 2 1/4) me, (mods listed below) and it is still not right on but i'll get it the next time i ride.
I am very pleaed with the 42 it starts up right away and will ideal perfectly
lata
400exBro

yellow machine
02-13-2002, 09:28 AM
400exbro
youre talking about the pilot screw near the pilot jet, not the idle air screw by the choke lever right?
my bike is pretty much bone stock for the moment, I live in Nebraska and I just want it to start easier when it is cold.

by the way has anyone heard anything good or bad about the DMC alien exhaust system? I have not read any threads on it. Looks pretty cool, sounds pretty good, but does it perform? My income tax return is not here yet but already it is burning a hole in my pocket, any input would be great!

Blackguywithouta400
02-13-2002, 09:42 AM
DMC is a very nice pipe that adds a lot of power down low and also lets the bike scream on the top end. It is a little loud i think its 109 db but 93 with Spark Arrestor i would get this pipe for sure, if you plan on doing motor mods its a great place to start.

cbrown400ex
02-13-2002, 09:55 AM
when I installed the 42 pilot jet my bike wouldn't idle either. I had to adjust the Idel screw(Large goldish color one next to the chocke lever) to get it to idle. If you have to give it gas to make it idle you need to turn the idle screw clockwise I think someone correct me if I'm worng, to inc the amount of gas your giving it at idle. Hope this helps