PDA

View Full Version : clutch problems

willjoe86
11-20-2003, 02:11 PM
Im having what I think are clutch problems on my 87 250x. Whats really weird is that the problems came on real suddenly without any apparent reason. Whats wrong is that it hardly accelerates at all, and takes a long time to get going. I tried it in a few gears, so I dont think its one of the gears that is the problem. I it is a clutch problem what do I have to replace? How hard is it?
thanks
Will

11-20-2003, 02:48 PM
Have you ever had any clutch components replaced on the quad???

frogburner
11-20-2003, 05:56 PM
I had a similar problem with my 400.. Mine would go through 1st gear alright 2nd gear alright but third on up NOT GOOD... When you would hit third gear, the motor would rev real high, if not hit the limiter, then when you would let off a little, the clutches would start catching.. I ended up changing the clutch basket out to a Hinson Billet, and brand new Dirt digger clutches, with a new clutch cable... The Bike runs great now, NO SLIPPAGE WHATSOEVER>>>>>

11-20-2003, 06:30 PM
my clutch is going out "I Think" & it just made the line real loose to where I had to use spacers to be able to use it.......I ordered some new Tusk plates from rockymountain

11-21-2003, 11:17 AM
If it is the stock clutch components since 1987 i'd say you need to upgrade just about everything in there....:eek2:

willjoe86
11-21-2003, 04:26 PM
i just bought this recently and I dont think any clutch components were ever replaced.
Do you think the problem would be just the plates, would I have to get a basket too, or is there something else?
Anything else that should be done while the side cover is off?
thanks
Will

Aceman
11-21-2003, 07:43 PM
Do you have a service manual? I did this a couple of years ago on my 300ex and I just replaced the discs and the plates. It also helps if you have an impact wrench for the nut holding your clutch on.

willjoe86
11-22-2003, 12:23 PM
I have a Clymers manual

OK-I took the side cover off and took off the lifter plate and springs. Now the manual is telling me I have to grind away the clutch center locknut from the groove in the mainshaft. This doesnt seem to be very self explanatory and Im kind of lost.

Has anyone done this who can explain this a little?
thanks
Will