PDA

View Full Version : Hotcams - Need Valve Springs, etc?

Quadzilla
11-20-2003, 11:09 AM
Is it true that with HotCams you don't need to replace the valve springs or harden the rocker arms? I just got another 400EX (1999) that has VERY low hrs on it (a Lawyer buddy of mine bought it new in 99 and rode it 4 times). I want to make the a 416 or 426 with a Hotcams Stage 2 (C&D, thanks for quoting some of that work via PM). So again, will I need to do springs or harden the rocker arms. This is strickly a agressive woods machine (with coal hills climbs) not a racer. I even plan on sticking with the stock rev limiter (heard horror stories of aftermarket rev limiters being just a 250r one that make it hard to start) so, little risk of floating the valves. C+D, or anyone, help... Thanks!

F-16Guy
11-20-2003, 01:16 PM
No springs or hardened rockers. The only time you should run hardened rockers is when you run a reground cam. The metal they add to the cam before they regrind it is much harder than the original lobe surface. It will eat the softer rockers unless they are also built up and reground with the harder material. HotCams cams are machined from a solid piece of metal that is almost identical in hardness to the OEM cam, so they're compatible with the stock rockers.

sickmojave
11-20-2003, 01:27 PM
http://www.sweetquads.com/modules/My_Uploads/user_folders/sickmojave/jesus.jpg

I allways wanted to know what the difference was. learn something new every day.