PDA

View Full Version : Stage 2 cam suggested jetting for carb

1Fast2003-400EX
11-20-2003, 02:29 AM
i have a Stage 2 hotcam and i have a 170 jet in right now. i was just wondering what people suggest i have in or if that should ok. im running VP red 110 octane, and plan on running VP Ultimate 4 as soon as this can is done. it seems as if this jetting is alright, this machine runs mean, but i was just asking for some suggestions to maybe make it more pissed than it is. Thanks

K_Fulk
11-20-2003, 03:28 AM
Your jetting should be ok, if its running right now.
Sounds like a pretty rich jet if thats your only mod, but i guess if it works for you it should be ok.

You could get a piston to bump up your compression, get your head ported or a fcr carb if you want some more power. Since your already in the motor.

kargaaro
11-20-2003, 05:51 AM
I would suggest trying a smaller main jet. It could be fine but it's likely that you're running a little rich. I have 11:1 416, full LRD, stage 2, K&N w/o lid. 158 main, stock needle, 45 pilot (Michigan).

YZROOSTINYA
11-20-2003, 10:57 AM
4tch clip down on stock needle
155 main
45 pilot
no choke and vented air box lid with k&n

1Fast2003-400EX
11-20-2003, 08:47 PM
im in pennsylvania, but i think im gonna change it to a 155 jet, cuase when the motor is ideling it smokes alittle bit, and it's blue which means it is running rich. but it is fast. so im gonna see what this 155 does for me. thanks for the advice guys

K_Fulk
11-20-2003, 09:25 PM
The 155 should work well. Have you adjusted the airscrew on the bottom of the carb any?

1Fast2003-400EX
11-20-2003, 10:23 PM
yea i tightened it all the way and then backed it out about a turn and a half, you are talking about the mixture screw correct? if so yea

dariusld
11-21-2003, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by 1Fast2003-400EX
yea i tightened it all the way and then backed it out about a turn and a half, you are talking about the mixture screw correct? if so yea I don't know if everyone on this website realizes that the stock jets and the dynojets(they come in the KN jetkit also) are not the same size. People are always giving advice on this subject and not clarifing which jets they are talking about. Especially since this guy is new to this site.
Did you install your jet kit? Do you have the instructions? The instructions say 3.5 turns on the pilot screw. And in my opinion, for the mods you have, 170 main dynojet isn't to rich. I would guess thats its close enough not to mess with. Do you have the stock pilot jet? Is the needle in the stock position? And most importantly how does the bike run? Does is accelerate hard ? Does it miss or backfire?

1Fast2003-400EX
11-21-2003, 12:23 AM
i did install my jet kit, i did follow the instructions, and the instructions do say to turn the mixture screw till it seats and then back out 3.5 turns. it had it there and it seemed like it ran much better with only 1.5 turns. i have the stock pilot jet yet, but i plan on getting a 42 or 45. i moved the e-clip down 1 from stock, so it is on the 3rd slot. it seems to run great, but it just smokes like it is rich during idle. im gonna see what the 155 does, and also my dynojet kit never came with a main jet adapter and i just took out the factory jet the 148 and screwed my 170 in there. i dont know what this main jet adapter does, but i contacted dynojet and they are sending me 1. and also does this main jet adapter screw in to where my old main jet was or do i screw out the original main jet holder also and screw the main jet adapter in there and screw the main jet into that? or do i just screw the main jet adapter into te original holder and then screw the main jet in there? but my quad accelerates fast, it seems pretty nice, except for the blue smoking during idle cuase it is loading up.

cals400ex
11-21-2003, 02:59 PM
406, 11 compression, stage 2, sparks pipe, uni filter, modded lid:

158-162 on the main depending on the season.