PDA

View Full Version : 250ex concerns

polabareus
11-19-2003, 09:25 PM
Ok, I just bought my first quad ever today, a 2003 250ex. Sure, it isn't the fastest bike out there, but its a HUGE step up from the only other bikes ive ever owned, a 81 atc 200 and a 84 big red. I mean , I like those three wheelers but now I have suspension!!!!. I can actually hit a jump now without risking my life. So the thing is this, I get the bike home and ride it around a bit and I notice a little popping on deceleration. So, not being a mechanical wizard I call the dealer and ask if thats normal. He said something about it running a little rich or lean and that the popping might go away and it might not but I shouldn't be worried because its rather normal and it won't hurt the bike. Then he says," while I got you on the phone theres something else you might notice". "What's that?", I say. He then tells me that because the muffler isn't dual layer or something that it heats up and glows red, which he says is normal and doesn't hurt anything. I also noticed the engine and exhaust smoking a bit, not out of the tail pipe and it didn't really smell like oil. He said that they put some flame retardant stuff on them when they assemble them at the factory and that it will just burn itself off. Is what this guy said true. I ask because I don't know too much about wheelers and I just want to know if this stuff is normal.

EXDUNER127
11-20-2003, 11:25 AM
What the guy says is true about the coating burning off when you first ride a 2-3 times, and the popping sound is you are running lean bump it up a few jets!

toby400ex
11-20-2003, 05:01 PM
If it is popping on deceleration shouldnt he mess with the air/fuel screw?:confused:

ReconRider25
11-20-2003, 05:28 PM
are you sure the popping your talking about isnt the engine braking system?

polabareus
11-20-2003, 06:44 PM
yeah, it was popping out the exhaust and I took it for a ride last night to a friends house about 3 or 4 miles away and it rode alright on the way there(although it sounded like it was popping a bit louder). But, on the way back it just died while I was in 5th gear. So I stop and put it in nuetral and it wounldn't start like it was flooded or something. So I sat for a while and finally it started and off I go. It does the same thing a couple hundred yards down the road when I was downshifting to stop at a stop sign. After several whirls of the starter it started and ran ok for a ways and then it started jerking really bad like it was out of gas (which it wasn't) and then it died. You know Im glad I got the smallest ex because I had to push the thing about a mile up hill which wasn't fun or expected as its brand new. So I call the dealer today and they said bring it up. He told me that theres some flame retardant stuff they spray the parts with and it might have gotten sucked in the carb and gunked it up. He says it will be done tomorrow if thats what it is. I sure hope my first brand new quad isn't going to turn into a nightmare senario.

TRX~RAT
11-20-2003, 06:46 PM
I have the same thing that goes on w/mine but I don't know how to make those adjustments. Is there a sight with step by step instructions????????????

ReconRider25
11-20-2003, 06:51 PM
i had the same problem when i had a recon.:( its usually just from bad gas.

TRX~RAT
11-20-2003, 06:59 PM
Actually, a friend of mine races 2-stroke bikes and he said to put a couple of ounces of winter fuel treatment in the tank to get the water out of it. How does that sound?

WickedRider
11-20-2003, 07:04 PM
My 250 would back-fired when i first got it. but only when decelerating. just in like 1st-2nd. the second week i had mine i changed the plug, oil & rearend oil. & it ran alot better. have u read your owners manual? oh & wat was the dude talkin about the muffler getting red hot??

TRX~RAT
11-20-2003, 07:07 PM
Thx wicked. "Hot Plug"???????? What did you put in? Does it make a difference?

polabareus
11-20-2003, 07:26 PM
Yeah, about the muffler getting hot I don't know what he was blabbling about. I think whoever I talked to yesterday was a dink because the guy I talked to today said it shouldn't be popping (or backfiring). I did forget to ask about the muffler glowing red though but Ill do that tommorrow when I pick it up. There going to tear down the carb because they think some flame retartant stuff they spray on the bikes in the factory may have gotten sucked in and kind of gunked it up. I mean Im fair and all and can understand its new and maybe something was set wrong at the factory but I bought this bike brand new to avoid any problems and after only one semi day of riding its in the shop. gggrrrrrrrr!!!

TRX~RAT
11-20-2003, 07:32 PM
lol........I understand bro. They'll get you hooked up.

WickedRider
11-20-2003, 07:34 PM
well its better that its in the shop now for only a day or 2 & not for a couple of weeks in a month, right

WickedRider
11-20-2003, 07:41 PM
oh yeah rat, i dont really know how to explain it but a hotter plug uuhhh like burns all the gases in the cylinder faster , yeah sumthin like that. its better than stock so i guess it helps jus go to your honda shop & tell them u want a hot plug for your 250, then they'll say do u want a 5-10 $ or wat ever plug, i think i got like a 8 sumthin plug but i got 2 just incase.:devil: later