PDA

View Full Version : 86-89 250R or 450R????

SLIDEWAYZS
11-19-2003, 05:57 PM
Do you think the new 450R will be better than an 86-89 250R? I just want to trail ride. I'm not into racing, to old and not enough balls. I bought an 87 250R brand new when I was 19 but sold it a few years later to get a snowmoblie[BIG MISTAKE] now I was thinking a geting a quad again. It looks to me like I could get a fairly stock 250R in bretty good shape for $5000 max, So that would be cheaper than a new 450R. What do you guys think I should get? I would leave either one as stock a possable.

gimp419
11-19-2003, 06:31 PM
I love a two stroke so my answer is a bit bias. The new Honda would probably be a better trail bike just cause it is a 4-stroke. But you just can beat a 250R for power and handling. Plus a 2-stroke is a heck of a lot easier and cheaper to rebuild! But I'm a die hard 250R guy so you may get a better answer from someone else. I'll always have my R I wanted one since I got my first Dirt wheels about 12 years ago when I finally got mine I decided that I would never sell it. Long live the 250R.

Bretmd94
11-19-2003, 07:00 PM
well, if you get an R your probably going to have to deal with stuff breaking a lot. Those bikes will be turning 20 soon.

With a new 450r you have a brand new bike. More power stock vs stock. Better handling unless the bike you buy has aftermarket suspension. Thats pretty much it though. The 250R would be cheaper but they are old and finally outdated somewhat. I would bet on the prices for 250R's going down soon with the new 450's.

Im a 4 stroke guy. So I to am biased. The 450R is gonna spank a 250R unless the 250r is rolling with some motorwork.

stabbincabin
11-20-2003, 05:42 AM
I HAVE ALWAYS PREFERRED THE 250R OVER 4 STROKES,I AM 33 AND ONCE HAD AN 86' 250R AND REGRETTED SELLING IT FOR YEARS,LAST YEAR I BOUGHT A STOCK 88'250R AND LOVED RIDING IT WITHOUT MAJOR PROBLEMS FOR A YEAR,LAST WEEK THE ROD STARTED GETTING NOISY SO WE ARE COMPLETELY GOING THROUGH THE MOTOR.WHILE IT IS APART I CAVED FROM ALL THE RIBBING BY MY BUDDIES WHO HAVE 4 STROKES AND ARE STILL RIDING THEM,SO I WENT TO MY LOCAL DEALER AND SIGNED UP FOR THE 450R.I'M NOT SURE IF I WILL LIKE IT BETTER BUT ONE THING IS FOR SURE THE 250R WILL HAVE TO GO. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED I LIVE IN NORTHERN INDIANA AND WILL BE SELLING IT WHEN IT GETS BACK TOGETHER,I'M LOOKING TO GET IN THE UPPER 3'S FOR IT.IT IS STILL BASICALLY STOCK CONFIGURATION INC. FACTORY HEADLIGHT,KEY.ETC. E-MAIL ME IF INTERESTED TEDA@PWRTC.COM

MX#9
11-20-2003, 07:51 AM
I have had 5 250r's,I got them all new 1-86,1-87,2-88's,1-89.Iused to race them from bone stock up to national motor work.In the winter ,or off-season so to speak,we would trail ride the entire winter. When the trails were fast ,the 2-stroke rocked, but, when it slowed down for the real tight stuff or bottlenecks a lot of guys fouled plugs. Like 2-3 a ride. I now ride a mostly stock 400ex on these same trails, sometimes quite aggressive, and of course never foul plugs. The 250r would still without a doubt,totally smoke the 400ex on the fast trails, and there is nothing like the sound of a good throaty 2-stoke launching off of a corner. But, the cost of parts for a 250r compared to the 400ex, well, there is a huge difference,so I am hoping the 450r parts wont be to bad. Someone also said the 2-stroke costs less to rebuild,yes but ,keep the oil changed in the 4-stroke and the air filter clean and I would say the engine will last at least 10 times longer. After all my rambling ,my answer to you for the type of riding you are planning, go with the 450r. To me it is a no brainer.

rtyfz450
11-20-2003, 08:30 AM
My freinds little brother has a bone stock 87 250r except for a pipe, sparky, and air filter. the thing has been rebuilt only once in the last 17 years. He bought it last year from a friend for 3000 and it runs great. It takes one kick to kick it cold or not. If that is not a testiment to that bike as a good quad I can't tell you what is. A guy had an 89 he was going to sell to me for 3400 but he just couldn't part with it. :( anyway great reliable bikes tons of parts from the aftermarket and if you like trail riding I would get it, save the money and buy a woods pipe, some tires and frame guards. that is if you like 2-strokes. otherwise I would buy the 450r because it will have a ton of grunt low end compared to the 250r and that is great for trails.

XANDADA
11-20-2003, 09:11 AM
wait for the 450r to come out, take it for a spin and see which ya like better. In the meantime try out a few 250r's and see what ya think. You can get a pretty darn good & aftermarket moded R for $5,000.

MX#9
11-20-2003, 09:33 AM
17 years with only one rebuild is quite a testimony for any 2-stroke engine,even the bulletproof 250r. That's Honda's biggest advantage over everyone,in my opinion.Slidewayz did not say what part of this great country he is from, but I really don't think anyone should count on getting that kind of life out of one. If he has the hard earned cash though I stick with my answer, get the 450r that he will get to be the first guy to put the first mile on her.Not a 15-20 year old bike that within the course of the next few years he could easy dump another 2000.00 plus into. Now maybe he knows of one that is cherry or whatever and he may only buy maintience type items. In my area though all the used 250r's are ragged out,not taken care of,broken or welded frames etc. I just like being the first one to put the first scratch on my quad. I know, I'm selfish!

CHAR250R
11-20-2003, 07:05 PM
That's a hard decision to make. I love my 250R, but my 400EX is easier to ride when it's tight. I would imagine that the 450R will have the best of both worlds. It should have similar speed to the 250R, and the easy riding of the 400Ex. My 250R is just as reliable as my 400EX. It may need more maintenance than the 4 stroke, but it's worth it to me.

kwatts400
11-20-2003, 11:53 PM
I have an 89 250r, once I get a new carb for it, it should be perfect. Won't matter though, I'm # 3 on the list at my dealership, and when it comes in, I'll have 2 r's two play with. I think I will have a hard time choosing which one to ride when I'm able to ride. I'm giving up my cbr to get it so I hope it is worth it. The best part is, I will have the last 250r in production, and the first 450r.:D The way I have the 250r set up, I should be able to ride it sparingly and have it as my little piece of history in my garage. Not a bad dilema to have.

SLIDEWAYZS
11-27-2003, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I think I will wait till after the 450R comes out and see what it is really like. Unless I find a great deal on 250R that I can't pass up.
Thanks

12-07-2003, 10:14 PM
There is nothing like owning the bike that started it all.:cool:

the bike is so straightforward and simple.

If you have enough guts to take the motor apart yourself youll see they are fairly straight forward and also engineered well.

THE R WILL NEVER DIE!

I believe after a few years the prices of R's will go up again.;)