PDA

View Full Version : Front Elka w Stock Rear

Blackguywithouta400
02-12-2002, 09:32 AM
I am planing on getting my new elka shocks in a few weeks but wanted to know what the handling repercusions would be to run the front tripple rate ssd shocks with my stock rear until i have enough money to rebuild it. Will the quad handle funny with the stock rear? or anyting of that sort. I know with the ssd on the front and the rear with out will i notice a big diffeence. I mainly will be running a smal MX track or just trails but my favoite part of riding is the woops where i like to go practice, there the main reason for the new fronts, will i have a problem over riding the rear with the great new fronts? Will the new fronts throw off my landings by making the rear bottom out first? I weight about 195lbs with gear on i think thats a little over the limit for the rear.

Thanks

kabd69667
02-12-2002, 10:46 AM
When i got my shocks, i sent my rear in first becuase it would take longer with shipping and everything. Elka called me one day after school and asked if i was only getting the rear shock done and if i was planning on getting fronts. I was, but he explained to me that if i wasn't the quad would sit very low in the back and the compression would be weird. I'm not sure if this would be the same for the fronts or not. I'd say you would be okay for a while without the rear shock but it's a must once you start riding harder.

Pepto_Bismol
02-12-2002, 03:41 PM
I have Elkas front TR with rezzies and the rear shock is stock for now. I have NO problems riding through whoops or hitting large jumps. I plan on having the rear converted next month. I don't believe you'll experience any problems. The difference between the front SSD and the stock shock preload gives me no trouble during riding. Don't buy into the hype that you HAVE to get both at the same time in order to be able to ride. There seems to be alot of opinions from poeple who don't do the research themselves, and boast information that is not from experience. However, like kabd69667, I spoke with Elka also, becuase of the wierd compression from a rear shock only, if you do get fronts and rear at seperate times, get the fronts first. I have no wierd compression with just fronts. It works fine for me for now until I get my rear rebuilt, in which case I know the handling will improve much more. :D If you call Elka, ask for Mark or Martin, they're great guys and they will help answer any questions you might have.

I weigh close to 200lbs with gear and do the same style riding as you, and have the exact front shocks you want to get.

Hope this helps.
Pepto

:cool:

02-12-2002, 03:49 PM
I've always been told that you can run front zero preload shocks with stock rear, but not the other way around. I have no experience with Elkas but I ran zero preload TCS fronts with stock rear for a season with no problem. However, I did have to take some preload out of my rear shock to make the quad sit level. This initially led to the rear end bottoming out, but I remedied it by adjusting the compression. I had no problems with handling or anything acting weird, but I soon realized that the rear shock was limiting the potential of the fronts, so I sent my rear off to be converted to TCS as well. Just got it back the other day.:D

countypark
02-13-2002, 04:44 PM
Anyone interested in Elkas email me at countyparkracing@hotmail.com.

Dave400ex
02-13-2002, 04:54 PM
I will also be running a Stock Rear Shock with either Elka SSD/Comp Adj/Triple Rates, or PEP ZPS Fronts.

kabd69667
02-13-2002, 05:51 PM
When they send you the rear shock, thats if you get it revalved and not get a brand new one, it needs some major adjusting anyway. I think maybe you'd be better getting a whole new elka triple rate rear anyway..only $400 more i think. thats if you have the money. I'm not saying the rear rebuild is bad, its the best i've seen.