PDA

View Full Version : chain adjustment problems

jtej
11-19-2003, 10:25 AM
I have a 1993 300ex that is pretty much bone stock. It has a newer chain on it. This last time i went riding i unloaded my quad and did a quick check of everthing, and noticed the chain was loose so i adjusted it out and tightened down the bolts. i went out and not 5 minutes later my chain was loose again. I could tell that the carrier had rotated around. I tightened the chain twice more and the same thing happened. My axle bearings are getting a little slop in them and my axle is worn where it rides on the bearings if this makes any difference. So what is the problem?? Carrier worn? Need bearings?

MOFO
11-19-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by jtej
I have a 1993 300ex that is pretty much bone stock. It has a newer chain on it. This last time i went riding i unloaded my quad and did a quick check of everthing, and noticed the chain was loose so i adjusted it out and tightened down the bolts. i went out and not 5 minutes later my chain was loose again. I could tell that the carrier had rotated around. I tightened the chain twice more and the same thing happened. My axle bearings are getting a little slop in them and my axle is worn where it rides on the bearings if this makes any difference. So what is the problem?? Carrier worn? Need bearings?

I'd replace both... carrier and bearings... sounds like that is your issue.

REC
11-19-2003, 10:31 AM
check your swingarm bearings as well

Later

jtej
11-19-2003, 10:42 AM
Where can i get all this stuff for cheap. I'm a broke college kid so of course cheaper is better.

But would it be worth my while to upgrade my carrier b/c i'm having to replace my axle bearings after 3 or 4 rides. If this is the case what would ya'll suggest and how much do i have to scrape together?

Thanks
JT

jtej
11-19-2003, 05:08 PM
Bump

toby400ex
11-19-2003, 06:41 PM
If you are having to replace axle bearings every 4 rides something is wrong with the axle or carrier. Are you packing the carrier with grease when u change the bearings each time?