PDA

View Full Version : Building a Motor, have a few ?'s

swamprider7
11-19-2003, 08:41 AM
Hey I am going to build a motor for a friend of mine and he rides mostly woods. He would like to have more bottom end power (torque). Ok I already know that I will be using a ross 416 piston(10.8:1) but I am kinda stuck as to what cam to use. It is narrowed down to Hotcam stage 1, hotcam stage 2, xr 400, and TC GNCC(if its a drop in). The cam must be a drop in (no need for springs and rockers) and he prefers it to be cheap(hotcams). I know that this has been asked quite a few times but I have searched through the old threads and am still undecided. I am thinking Hotcam stage 1....but I have heard that they don't make much power(like the xr400 cam). Hotcam stage 2 is supposed to make good power but I hear that you can't lug it very much. TC GNCC sounds like a great cam but I am not sure if it is a drop in. I think it is kinda pricey too...but I can't remember how much. Is it worth the money? Will somebody that has done a 416 with a cam tell me if you lost or gained bottom end power compared to stock. Sorry for long post. Thanks in advance.

cals400ex
11-19-2003, 09:26 AM
with the stage 2 on my 11 compression 406, you just need to keep the rpms up a bit. if the rpm's are up, it actually has more power than stock even in the first two gears. however, this involves using the clutch a lot. i would't recommend this cam if he wants the lowend. the stage 1 would probally suit him better. you will notice a big power increase with that cam and piston. i don't know anything about the tc cams.

swamprider7
11-20-2003, 08:48 AM
I guess that take the Hotcam stg2 out of the equation, I have heard that the stg 1 make a lot of valve noise. Is this true? I know that any cam is going to make more noise, but I don't think he wants anything that's going to be obnoxious.

F-16Guy
11-20-2003, 01:09 PM
My stage one is a stump puller! Lots of bottom and mid, and still a much better top end; very broad powerband. If it's going to be mostly a woods bike, I'd go with the stage one. Mine doesn't make any more noise than any other 400ex I've heard, you just have to make sure you do the initial valve adjustment after you break in the cam.

Chanman420q
11-20-2003, 03:19 PM
i have the TC 926 and its not really a bottom end cam

pnut420
11-20-2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Chanman420q
i have the TC 926 and its not really a bottom end cam

That surprises me cause I have a TC 926 that Im loking at right now and compared to a stage 2 hotcam, the lobes look really broad, but they do drop off pretty hard, I thought the 926 was a great woods cam. Alot of people love their XR400 cams and have never had any issues. I would go XR400 or TC926 before I go hotcams again.

bmw500hp
11-20-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by swamprider7
Hey I am going to build a motor for a friend of mine and he rides mostly woods. He would like to have more bottom end power (torque). Ok I already know that I will be using a ross 416 piston(10.8:1) but I am kinda stuck as to what cam to use. It is narrowed down to Hotcam stage 1, hotcam stage 2, xr 400, and TC GNCC(if its a drop in). The cam must be a drop in (no need for springs and rockers) and he prefers it to be cheap(hotcams). I know that this has been asked quite a few times but I have searched through the old threads and am still undecided. I am thinking Hotcam stage 1....but I have heard that they don't make much power(like the xr400 cam). Hotcam stage 2 is supposed to make good power but I hear that you can't lug it very much. TC GNCC sounds like a great cam but I am not sure if it is a drop in. I think it is kinda pricey too...but I can't remember how much. Is it worth the money? Will somebody that has done a 416 with a cam tell me if you lost or gained bottom end power compared to stock. Sorry for long post. Thanks in advance.

I have ridden the exact same piston with the stage 1. Personally the quad didn't seem overy noisy and the power was quite good. I actually run ( in my 400ex) the Ross 10.8:1 and a Custom Web-Cam, ride mostly woods, and could not be happier!

If your decision is based on a sense of economy, the hot-cams are hard to beat.

Give the site sponsor C&D a call and talk with them personally about the Hot-Cam.

Good Luck :D

swamprider7
11-21-2003, 08:04 AM
Sounds like hotcam stg 1 is the way to go! Thanks guys.

cals400ex
11-21-2003, 02:54 PM
i have heard that the stage 1 is louder than some others. i know my friends is that way. his stage 1 is louder than my stage 2. i know our valves are adjusted the same because i adjusted both of ours. however, his seemed to tick more than mine when ours were both stock.

hawiianpwr
11-21-2003, 03:10 PM
Is there a cam that'll give you a nice steady broad powerband without giving up too much lowend or topend? You know something that you can go right from the trails to a wide open field and be just fine.

Thanks