PDA

View Full Version : would you like some cheese w/ that wine?

Honda Jay
11-18-2003, 09:50 PM
from what i have seen, the "R" has no cheesy arse parking brake, one more thing not having to worry about, plus less weight!
most of the things that i have found are dang good except that i can't get one 'til march, shucks!

Later Jayson

cgmxer115
11-18-2003, 10:59 PM
Sorry man, but i do believe it has an e-brake. Any quad made today has to have one...racer or utilty. Unlike a 2 wheeler , quads can roll away and some lowlife lawyer will find a lawsuit out of it. I think Honda is a little bit smarter than that. Its a small price to pay for what looks to be a great machine.

rtyfz450
11-18-2003, 11:41 PM
sorry to burst your bubble but all quads have to have a parking brake it is a federal mandate. go wine some more j/k

ATC83
11-19-2003, 06:55 AM
rtyfz450 is right all quads build today have to have a parking brake. It was part of the consent decree with CPSC.

seatec
11-19-2003, 07:53 AM
and to top that, yamaha had the foresight to make the e-brake such that you can easily remove it. Now, dont you wish you wouldnt've made a dumb comment like that.:p

MX#9
11-19-2003, 08:31 AM
Not really the same subject, but, to the guys that have the YFZ,do you like the chain adjustment system? A friend of mine has one and he told me that is absolutely horrible to adjust the chain. Your comments,please

rtyfz450
11-19-2003, 08:35 AM
no I don't like it honda has the best. I would say that the yamaha is ok and it works ok but still the honda remains the best. I really could care less because I will probably get an aftermarket swing with the honda style adjuster. plus you will not have to do it that often because It really doesn't need to be adjusted every race or every couple times riding. I have had my yfz since july and have always checked the chain and never have had to adjust it.

trueblue450
11-19-2003, 09:26 AM
actually it doesnt come loose like the honda style chain adjustment.. :o

MX#9
11-19-2003, 09:48 AM
Trueblue, What do you mean? I have had at least 11 Honda quads, 250r,250x,300ex,400ex. I have never had anything come loose in the chain adjustment. Anyway, I thought the yfz system was a bit time consuming and a difficult to be sure your axle was running true compared to the much simpler Honda design.

TGW_400ex
11-19-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by trueblue450
actually it doesnt come loose like the honda style chain adjustment.. :o

You seem to like to bash honda? Why don't you goto bluetraxx?:mad:

trueblue450
11-19-2003, 05:10 PM
No im just tired of the hostility torwards the yfz.. I had a honda and loved it but everyone on here picks the yfz apart like its nothing. they wont even awknowlege that its atleast a great quad. I dont know why I get mad about it but it just irritates me how someone whose never ridden one says how ****ty it is.

But my 300exs chain came loose all the time.. :eek:

VIC
11-19-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by trueblue450
No im just tired of the hostility torwards the yfz.. I had a honda and loved it but everyone on here picks the yfz apart like its nothing. they wont even awknowlege that its atleast a great quad. I dont know why I get mad about it but it just irritates me how someone whose never ridden one says how ****ty it is.

But my 300exs chain came loose all the time.. :eek:

I see that most people say that both will be great quads and about even. But you have people on both sides saying one is better than the other which none can say just yet untill the R comes out. I like both and probably wait till next year to chose.

skidplate
11-19-2003, 05:42 PM
I got to ride with a stock yfz on the track and talked to the owner, I have respect for the machine. It took its class in both motos, rider was all balls out though. That tends to make a big difference. We all will see shortly what the Honda delivers. I'm sure it will be good.
JB

kajunracing
11-19-2003, 05:57 PM
it is all in what you are willing to risk! before anyone worries about how fast a quad is they need to make sure the quad is holding them back and not the other way around! I have a 400ex slightly modded and for the most part its faster than me, and I love it. the point is it takes a long time to get to the level of riding where you need the fastest quad on the market! have fun with what you have! and be safe ouy there! P.S is it a shame that other brands dont have sites like this. makes you wonder!

Honda Jay
11-19-2003, 08:32 PM
don't be hatin' (j/k)

I REST MY CASE! i found it, it is in the middle of the caliper, unlike the 4EX where it was on the end.

BUT, maybe, this one will actually work. . .

Jay

rtyfz450
11-20-2003, 08:18 AM
lol, the one on the yfz does work an all the ones on my hondas don't so if that was a bash towards the yfz please try the bike before you attack it.

kajunracing,

I agree with what you said, good post except for the ps part.

MX#9
11-20-2003, 02:46 PM
rtyfz450, I don't think that was a YFZ or Yamaha bash at all. The way I read it, that was a Honda bash [fact]. All the Hondas that I ever owned the parking brake system never worked, it blows.

stryker
11-20-2003, 03:06 PM
Who use's the parking break anyways? That's the first thing to come off for anyone I know. As stated before by others it's just a legality for manufacturers.:)

TGW_400ex
11-20-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by MX#9
rtyfz450, I don't think that was a YFZ or Yamaha bash at all. The way I read it, that was a Honda bash [fact]. All the Hondas that I ever owned the parking brake system never worked, it blows.

I havent seen a yamaha one that did either;)

Mr_Bub400ex
11-20-2003, 04:31 PM
i had a warrior and the ebrake never worked and would stick... my 400ex's was trash and i took it off. imo they all suck lol honda or yamaha. Personally, i think the yfz is awesomea nd i am waiting till the R is tested againt it to make my decision.

TGW_400ex
11-20-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Mr_Bub400ex
i had a warrior and the ebrake never worked and would stick... my 400ex's was trash and i took it off. imo they all suck lol honda or yamaha. Personally, i think the yfz is awesomea nd i am waiting till the R is tested againt it to make my decision.

I think Suzuki and Kawasakis r that way too who want a e brake anyways park in 1st gz:rolleyes:

Honda Jay
11-20-2003, 09:20 PM
no, it wasn't meant to be a yammy bash, just a honda bash (in fact, i am a honda guy for life)
but every owner of something can find at least one thing to "bash" or think that could of been better.

just think. . . in a couple weeks we will have new Honda's with some huge jumps for us, compared to the 4EX.
1) 450cc
2) H2O cooled
3) 10.5:1
4) shirt skirt, now were talking! (hint: piston skirt, hopefully does well)
5) kick
6) 42mm carb
7) HRC kit (for the rich one's)
8) rezzies + adjustments galore
9) sick styling (IMO)
10) 350 dry lbs.

can't wait to see the finished product, the "R" of my kind, that has four beefy strokes

Jayson

rtyfz450
11-21-2003, 08:39 AM
sorry didn't mean to get all defensive on you guys anyway I really like the yamaha parking brake only because it is the first one I have ever had that actually works and it is really easy. you just flip a lever. I like it for parking on dunes that are steep and keeping the quad from rolling around in the trialer, yes I use tie downs also I am not dumb. I agree that it is the first thing to go on most peoples lists and that is why yamaha made it detachable on the yfz. Anyways doesn't matter I think I am the only one dumb enough to use one anyways:D

MX#9
11-21-2003, 10:02 AM
You know,I would probably use it to since it works. But I have been riding Honda since 1984 and quads since 86. I guess I have got used to the fact that the parking brake blows and I expect the 450r will too. I will say that my dad has a 87 trx250 utility quad,you know, with the racks and all. Anyway, the parking brake on it DOES work, but it is a different style with a little clip on the lever to lock the lever. Simple is better.

Honda Jay
11-21-2003, 10:35 PM
yes all of the utility honda quads have the clip type brake and they all work

but the sport type on the 4ex and the 250X they all haven't worked, only for the few weeks of use

they work good until it looses in tension and you pull the cable tight until you are at the end of the adjustment

MX#9
11-22-2003, 07:05 AM
You can keep them working if you want to jack around adjusting and re-adjusting the little arm that the cable hooks to. The problem with that is when you go to change pads,which we do often in the Northeast, your piston in the caliper won't go back in unless you reverse the entire process. Now that would'nt be to bad except the worm gear gets all rusty and freezes unless you make sure it has a healthy helping of some sort lube every time you change pads. Just to much of a pain in the rump for something that I rarely use.

TGW_400ex
11-22-2003, 09:06 AM
my parking brake worked for 3 days:(

MX#9
11-22-2003, 09:19 AM
TGW-400EX,I notice you are from DuBois, I,m only about 45 min. from you. If you feel like coming to my place for a good ride somtime let me know.I have probably 45-50 miles of trails with hillclimbs and jumps. We tend to ride at a pretty good clip if the group for the day is capable. Riding tomorrow, Sun. Nov. 23 if your interested.

TGW_400ex
11-22-2003, 11:11 AM
TGW-400EX,I notice you are from DuBois, I,m only about 45 min. from you. If you feel like coming to my place for a good ride somtime let me know.I have probably 45-50 miles of trails with hillclimbs and jumps. We tend to ride at a pretty good clip if the group for the day is capable. Riding tomorrow, Sun. Nov. 23 if your interested.

Sounds fun but I dont know if i could this Sunday

zfire_28
11-24-2003, 02:51 AM
If you feel like coming to my place for a good ride somtime let me know.

This has gotta be about the cheepest come-on line that I have ever heard.:devil:

J/P:devil:

MX#9
11-28-2003, 10:50 AM
I guess I need to be more careful with my phrasing.

zfire_28
12-02-2003, 01:11 AM
I guess I need to be more careful with my phrasing. :devil: