PDA

View Full Version : MRBP or HMF?

400exdad
11-18-2003, 08:12 PM
Well, I'm seriously thinking about an aftermarket muffler for the 300. We got an oversized head pipe and I modded a 400EX silencer..... I'm just not happy with the muffler routing... my fault. I like the HMF, it sounds like real quality, but I hate the idea of repacks. :( I read about the MRBP... I like the stainless, no need to repack tank, but I'm afraid it won't be much, if any over what I have. Some guy said something about a tiny flow area.... Anyway, your toughts please? The HMF will have the quiet core and the MBRP will be the "non-race" version. Thanks!

Martin Blair
11-18-2003, 09:05 PM
MBRP you losse power get a hmf, or lrd you dont havwe to repack it that often i ahve had my lrd for a year now and i check the pking yesturday it is fine, just a little chared at the end but its fine and it ahsnt gotten anylouder, it only has to be done once a year or two, and its like 10 buck for packing.

jmoney45
11-19-2003, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by HN400exracer
MBRP you losse power get a hmf, or lrd you dont havwe to repack it that often i ahve had my lrd for a year now and i check the pking yesturday it is fine, just a little chared at the end but its fine and it ahsnt gotten anylouder, it only has to be done once a year or two, and its like 10 buck for packing.

Any facts to back that up? I had a big gun and my mbrp is very comparable in power, just much less noise.

forum
11-19-2003, 06:52 AM
mbrp. Mike berkley exhaust systems are pretty crappy. I've heard the same thing. they will decrease power! HMF! all the way! I've heard extremely good stuff about them. Go hmf for sure.

EX-SOTO
11-19-2003, 07:38 AM
What does it mean to repack? Sorry, Im new.

400exdad
11-19-2003, 10:54 AM
SOTO, most aftermarket mufflers use fiberglass for sound deadening material. After awhile, it gets worn or blown out and has to be replaced. Just some more maintenance. The MBRP uses chambers or baffles instead of the fiberglass packing.

Thanks guys for the info.... anybody else have anything good/bad to say about these mufflers? The LRD is out for me... too noisy. Thanks anyway.

Taco
11-19-2003, 11:04 AM
I putta Flowmaster on mine:D

400exdad
11-19-2003, 04:10 PM
Taco, I'm putting an exhaust on my truck tomorrow... not a flowmaster.. :) Dynomax is going on the truck.