PDA

View Full Version : XC Skids

Smokey
11-18-2003, 08:07 PM
WHo has the best skidplates for GNCC ??
I know from working with Chad Duvall that he has used Badger Racing skids for the last couple years with no problems . They are very tough and trick looking . If anyone is interested you might contact them now and not wait till Jan. . You can call and tell him the Duvall crew sent you .....He is a great guy and has great stuff .

cdalejef
11-18-2003, 08:26 PM
My vote is for PRM

bradley300
11-18-2003, 09:41 PM
i'm with pappa fro on this one, i can break anything, and my prm skids are still the orignal shape from 2 years ago

pairanutz
11-18-2003, 10:46 PM
i agree i got my prm .190 a-arm-engine-swing arm skids today -i caint beleive how thick they

popo
11-19-2003, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by bradley300
i'm with pappa fro on this one, i can break anything, and my prm skids are still the orignal shape from 2 years ago

Cause your using your buddies quads to bang up instead of yours:blah:

Pappy
11-19-2003, 06:23 AM
nice plug for badger skids:rolleyes:

PRM gets my vote.

Badger_Skid
11-19-2003, 08:50 AM
It looks like Chad will be riding Badger skids next year, I think I might know who posted this post but I'm not really sure. Doesn't matter if you believe me or not but I would appreciate it if you just deleted the post instead of changing my phone number to
1-800-Spammer.

Thanks,
Badger

Dunlap
11-19-2003, 08:56 AM
My vote goes to the Badger Racing. One reason is that he wants to build the best and he listen to the racers and change it to make it better if need be. Also you get more ground clearence and if it holds up to Chad D. it is good!

11-19-2003, 11:57 AM
as far as everything I have ever ran I have been more than happy with PRM products. They have held up great. At the ironman this year I finally got to talk to the guys at badger skids. I was very pleased to see them at the race. Deric seems as though he takes a lot of pride in his work. like I said I have never ran them but from the looks of the design and craftmanship Badger Skids looks top notch!

11-19-2003, 12:17 PM
Are the badger skids made of stainless???

Smokey
11-19-2003, 01:44 PM
Yes they are stainless . I think that if you compare them by weight they are lighter that the PRM's and I think we all know how strong stainless is .
Like Mickey said Badger will listen to the racers and make changes to make them better . This just my opinion and I dont want to offend anyone ..Just give him a call if you need the number PM me and I will give it to you . I dont think you would be dissapointed

jcsact
11-19-2003, 03:25 PM
How thick are they, because Stainless is a lot heavier than Aluminum. :confused: They would have to be considerably thinner than the PRM's. I have .125" PRMS and they have done a great job. There Swing Arm skid has more ground clearance than most if not all of the other manufactures.

chad duvall
11-19-2003, 05:49 PM
My opion on skids is Badger is by far the BEST stuff out there right now! He has been working with me for two seasons and it only GETS BETTER! I look forward to having an even better season of stuff in the season to come! I will be running Badger and wouldnt want to run anything but it on the New YFZ 450 Am-Pro ride. I look forward to a great race year and am very pumped to challange the top riders for that #1 plate. I am in it for the under dogs and up and comming sponsors who do this for us racers and Deric is a #1 sponsor/business man in it for the love of the sport in my book!
MY VOTE IS BADGER

desertsandrider
11-19-2003, 08:24 PM
PRM is the only way to go.........i race desert, and we thrash stuff like, if not more than GNCC..........I just ordered the new .250 thickness PRM swingarm skid, and am selling the original .190 thickness....still in good shape though!!

bradley300
11-19-2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by popo
Cause your using your buddies quads to bang up instead of yours:blah:

so what?:devil:

gizmocor
11-20-2003, 05:10 AM
PRM is IT!!! PRM has been around since I started racing, and don't think that things haven't changed. They are constantly improving what they are doing over there. There new skids are bent aluminum instead of welded, and it is way stronger and returns better after a hit. It also has a lot more ground clearance than they used to have, not that it was a problem before. No one makes skids like PRM, and I won't trust anything else under my quad!!!

JOEX
11-20-2003, 11:54 PM
This started out as a commercial for Badger but there seems to be more info about PRM:confused:

What is more annoying is the blatant promotion a product/manufacturer sponser by respected members of this site/sport.

I don't know anything about Badger products and there is no info in this thread about their products other than shameless promos.

I like to hear about new products from the underdogs but this is very disappointing.

Joe

chad duvall
11-21-2003, 08:12 AM
Sorry I disagree, there is NO shame in wanting to promote your sponsors and we have been in couraged to do so here. I will get with Deric and see if we can post some spec's for info purpose only. No shame in wanting to that is there? Also anyone of us top riders like to share with you all in what we prefere to run. Like I said I will get back with spec's if deric is comfortable with that!

250EXstud
11-21-2003, 08:27 AM
I am gettin ready to order a pro armor skid. Are they any good?

Motoman440
11-21-2003, 08:42 AM
I ain't no pro level rider just your run-of-the-mill trail beater on a budget and have always had excellent results with PRM. For the money you can't beat it, literally.:D

cinigen9
11-21-2003, 02:40 PM
My limited experience with (PRM) swingarm skids:

z400 - after 2 races needed a 12 ton press to get it back out of the chain. sold the bike soon after. may have lasted alot longer.

400ex skid - 4 races same problem on chain side. After 2 more races now have a groove cut by the rotor on the other side.

I think PRM produces a high quality product (much better than anything else I have seen), but I am always interested in a new and better product. Does anyone have more info on Badger - pictures or prices? Website?

I have heard good things about PRM's new "Z" plates as well - may give one a try.

As far as abuse - this is a direct quote I received from PRM about my skids:

"The GNCC is a very harsh race series for swingarm protection. Most of our sponsored racers go through two a year. So under severe race conditions this is not uncommon."

As before - not knocking PRM's service or products - both 1st rate, but always looking for something better...

balla250ex
11-21-2003, 03:14 PM
I've never owned nor had any experience with Badger/PRM, but from what I've read in Mags and from what I've heard guys talk about I would say PRM.

Wingnut
11-21-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by cinigen9
I think PRM produces a high quality product (much better than anything else I have seen), but I am always interested in a new and better product. Does anyone have more info on Badger - pictures or prices? Website?

Exactly how I feel. After seeing many skids, I think PRM's are probably the strongest aluminum skids out there. But, I still find my self letting off the gas is rocky areas because I just don't trust it to handle the punishment I'm capable of giving it. The way I see it stainless steel is the only way I can get anything stronger.

Deric, do you know how long after the 450R comes it will take you to make some skids?

toby400ex
11-21-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by cinigen9
My limited experience with swingarm skids:

z400 - after 2 races needed a 12 ton press to get it back out of the chain. sold the bike soon after. may have lasted alot longer.

400ex skid - 4 races same problem on chain side. After 2 more races now have a groove cut by the rotor on the other side.

I have heard good things about PRM's new "Z" plates as well - may give one a try.

As far as abuse - this is a direct quote I received from PRM about my skids:

"The GNCC is a very harsh race series for swingarm protection. Most of our sponsored racers go through two a year. So under severe race conditions this is not uncommon."

As before - not knocking PRM's service or products - both 1st rate, but always looking for something better...
Basically any skid plate used in missouri harescrambles and the hillbilly GP series is gonna be chit faced after a hard season of racing. My prm skidplate is still in pretty good shape, but occasionally a big hammer helps it stay in shape after a race. Every race it gets weaker because of the huge rocks gouging so deep its getting eaten away pretty much race by race. But I dont think there is a better aluminum skidplate out there, i cant imagine how strong prm's skids would be if they made them out of stainless.:blah:

JOEX
11-21-2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by chad duvall
Sorry I disagree, there is NO shame in wanting to promote your sponsors and we have been in couraged to do so here. I will get with Deric and see if we can post some spec's for info purpose only. No shame in wanting to that is there? Also anyone of us top riders like to share with you all in what we prefere to run. Like I said I will get back with spec's if deric is comfortable with that!
I know it is your duty to promote your sponsors and I don't have a problem with that. I guess the rules have changed here if you are encouraged to promote your sponsors.:confused: Or at least my interpretation of them.

I belive there is some discrepancy on what pros prefer to run and what their sponsors what them to run. JMO

The main thing that irritated me the most about this thread was the only thing being promoted about Badger was the name. What was heard was 'buy Badger because I run thier products'.
They may be a very good company that produces a quality product but they still need to be proven.

What one or two people use for products if they are pros or not doesn't mean chit to me if there is nothing to back it up.

Get some specs, pics and background then go from there.

Joe

Dunlap
11-22-2003, 04:13 AM
I agree with you that just because a top pro races with a product it doesn't mean its the best. They may be swayed by "free product" or just doing it for the "money" and switch to who ever will pay them (Its been knowen to happen) but this is a new company and there product will sell itself in time. Chad didnt sell 500ex motors for me but its good to have riders racing your product so you can make them better. You want to see pics and see what people say about the product, thats why we do mag. articals so you the consumer can see and read if this is somthing you want to buy. You can read about this product in the Feb. or March of dirt wheels on are YFZ 470. Most racers think its all about them and what they say but the sponcers know its the pics and writen word that sells the product and then by word of mouth.

Joe [/B][QUOTE]
What one or two people use for products if they are pros or not doesn't mean chit to me if there is nothing to back it up.

Get some specs, pics and background then go from there.

Smokey
11-22-2003, 07:52 AM
JOEX,
I started this thread to see what everyone else was useing . and to let everyone know my opinion . Deric has a great product and it is inexpesive compared to others out there . I have see what his product has went through and keeps on taking . Let me ask you this , if a pro rider never said who sponsered him what would you buy??? Remember the old saying " What wins on Sunday , sells on Monday " It still holds true it just not as obvious these days . I know there are alot of people that use PRM stuff and I have in the past , but I know a good and wel built product when I see it . If you want specs on this stuff contact Dreic , he is a good guy and wants to built a great product and if you ask me he is .

660bigdaddy
11-22-2003, 07:57 AM
how do i contact badger?

ranger400ex
11-22-2003, 09:44 AM
anybody with some metallurgy background know stainless steel is very soft, very mallable, and hardness is on par with aluminum. I can buy two prm's for the price of most stainless. would be interested to see how the badger's compare and any information. I live three miles from protec...I know the owner, I raced his skids for one season..and all I can say is that they are overpriced tin cans....PRM is getting the nod from me now, but interested to see difference in badger's stainless vs/ protect designs.

Ben

Smokey
11-22-2003, 09:47 AM
I hope someone dont block out this number again . but You can call Deric at 1-859-760-2822 or you can e-mail him at dherrmann@fuse.net ... I think you will like what he has to say . He has a tough product and it looks good too .......

250EXstud
11-22-2003, 11:35 AM
So are pro armor any good?

JOEX
11-22-2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Mickey Dunlap
I agree with you that just because a top pro races with a product it doesn't mean its the best. They may be swayed by "free product" or just doing it for the "money" and switch to who ever will pay them (Its been knowen to happen) but this is a new company and there product will sell itself in time. Chad didnt sell 500ex motors for me but its good to have riders racing your product so you can make them better. You want to see pics and see what people say about the product, thats why we do mag. articals so you the consumer can see and read if this is somthing you want to buy. You can read about this product in the Feb. or March of dirt wheels on are YFZ 470. Most racers think its all about them and what they say but the sponcers know its the pics and writen word that sells the product and then by word of mouth.
I agree with you 100%. Thanks for your input:)

Joe

JOEX
11-22-2003, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Smokey
JOEX,
I started this thread to see what everyone else was useing . and to let everyone know my opinion . Deric has a great product and it is inexpesive compared to others out there . I have see what his product has went through and keeps on taking . Let me ask you this , if a pro rider never said who sponsered him what would you buy??? Remember the old saying " What wins on Sunday , sells on Monday " It still holds true it just not as obvious these days . I know there are alot of people that use PRM stuff and I have in the past , but I know a good and wel built product when I see it . If you want specs on this stuff contact Dreic , he is a good guy and wants to built a great product and if you ask me he is .
It wasn't your post that irked me though it does have a bit of a commercial slant to it. I give you the benefit of doubt that you didn't intend it to be an advertisment.

What did irk me was the others that were saying 'buy this product because I use it'. Like I said before, it may very well be a high quality product, I would just like to see something to back up the talk.;)

Joe

cinigen9
11-22-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by ranger400ex
anybody with some metallurgy background know stainless steel is very soft, very mallable, and hardness is on par with aluminum.

For Ben:
prm uses 6061-t6 I believe - Rockwell of about B40..

what does badger use?? there are 60+ types of ss, but some of the basic comps. (304 430 410) are atleast twice that.. forgive me if I am off the mark here - there is a reason I am no longer a practicing engr!

For the rest of us with no Metallurgy background:
I would have assumed ss had real advantages over alum. (look at boat props for example) for hardness, but maybe that is not what you want.. 6061 is actually one of the softer alum., with the biggest problem being at a weld. Maybe a more mallable (softer) plate is better.. Perhaps a little give is better when encountering large rocks! I would rather bend a $80 skid plate than break a $500 swinger.

Has anyone tried one of prm's "z" plates where they eliminate many of the welds??

RIDER11X
11-23-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by gizmocor
There new skids are bent aluminum instead of welded, and it is way stronger and returns better after a hit. It also has a lot more ground clearance than they used to have, not that it was a problem before. No one makes skids like PRM, and I won't trust anything else under my quad!!!

Welded is BETTER than bent...........when aluminum is bent it gets weak there. Aweld should be stronger than the material it bonds.;)

RIDER11X
11-23-2003, 08:01 PM
Nobody ever mentions ARMADILLO skid plates though Rocky
Mountain ATV. I have been running one for 3 seasons now, hitting big nasty rocks and stumps all the time with no bending or breaking. And I'm no lightweight at 265lb.. They are .250 aluminum and tough!:cool:

LTandRaptorider
11-23-2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by RIDER11X
Nobody ever mentions ARMADILLO skid plates though Rocky
Mountain ATV. I have been running one for 3 seasons now, hitting big nasty rocks and stumps all the time with no bending or breaking. And I'm no lightweight at 265lb.. They are .250 aluminum and tough!:cool:

I second that on the Armadillo skids... and you not being a lightweight! :p

I'll have to see if I can get one for my Lonestar swing arm on the LT.

BTW... Crazyhonda isn't gettin any slimmer! From what I hear, the last time he got on a scale it said, "One at a time"!!! :devil:

Ha! That will teach him to knock my woman up, and not send any support money... :huh Next time you get in an argument with her, knock her DOWN!

ranger400ex
11-24-2003, 06:28 AM
Welds produce weaker aluminum near the weld, unlike steel , the aluminum chages propertes slightly, which makes for a weaker skid, hence PRM going to less welds on the Z plates.

Depending on stainless used (Which I would thing Badger is using base grade SS) it is softer, and tends to be very prone to bending, and gouging (ever tried a stainless pivot bolt? take a screwdriver and drag it down, and curls of stainless will come off, same as the protect skids do to)

again, never tried the badgers, and won't comment on something I have not tried/raced, but just looking at how stainless and aluminum compare across the board, and experience with protects versions.

any body got a pic of badger skid??

ben

LTandRaptorider
11-24-2003, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by ranger400ex
Welds produce weaker aluminum near the weld, unlike steel , the aluminum chages propertes slightly, which makes for a weaker skid, hence PRM going to less welds on the Z plates.

Depending on stainless used (Which I would thing Badger is using base grade SS) it is softer, and tends to be very prone to bending, and gouging (ever tried a stainless pivot bolt? take a screwdriver and drag it down, and curls of stainless will come off, same as the protect skids do to)

again, never tried the badgers, and won't comment on something I have not tried/raced, but just looking at how stainless and aluminum compare across the board, and experience with protects versions.

any body got a pic of badger skid??

ben

Very interesting... heat is definitely an enemy for aluminum.

250exlogan
11-26-2003, 08:53 PM
AC or PRM

250exlogan
11-26-2003, 08:53 PM
AC or PRM

RIDER11X
11-26-2003, 10:50 PM
I called PRM a while back, and the guy told me their .250 thick skids are .250 on the bottom rails and .190 throughout the rest of the skid. My Armadillo is .250 all over. Why wouldn't that be better?:huh

cdalejef
11-27-2003, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by 250exlogan
AC or PRM AC makes one of the weakest skids available!

Dave400ex
11-27-2003, 07:43 AM
I just got my PRM Z-plate for my 400ex and it is very well built and heavy duty. I will get to test it this Saturday at the Badlands.

gizmocor
11-27-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
AC makes one of the weakest skids available!

I would disagree with that. I am totally a PRM man, but I wouldn't say that the heavy duty AC plate is that weak. The biggest thing I hated about the one I had was the ground clearance. It hung very low and would get stuck in every little rut.