PDA

View Full Version : which 416 (11;1) is better [ross or je } ?

HOT-ROD
11-18-2003, 07:09 PM
:D

Glamis400ex
11-18-2003, 08:50 PM
Both are equally good. C&D seem to have the JE in stock more often.

Glamis

86atc250r
11-18-2003, 09:16 PM
I've had both, as well as a Wiseco....

The Ross and JE are very similar. Designed by the same guy, in fact. However, the Ross is about 25 grams lighter if memory serves me correctly (without looking at my notes).

The Ross piston assembly ends up lighter than stock by a couple grams. The JE setup ends up heavier than stock by about 20 grams.

Other than that, the JE and Ross are very similar. Currently I'm running the Ross and if I had to purchase another, it would be a Ross.

JE and Wiseco are owned by the same parent company, but the pistons are quite different. The Wiseco piston is the heaviest of all.

One other note, I had to gap the rings that came with my Ross. The gaps were within spec with the rings that came with my JE. The same is true with the replacement rings I got from Wiseco for my JE.

You can order pistons directly from Ross and JE both. I don't believe any of the aftermarket dealers offer any better prices but you might check around.

HOT-ROD
11-19-2003, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by 86atc250r
I've had both, as well as a Wiseco....

The Ross and JE are very similar. Designed by the same guy, in fact. However, the Ross is about 25 grams lighter if memory serves me correctly (without looking at my notes).

The Ross piston assembly ends up lighter than stock by a couple grams. The JE setup ends up heavier than stock by about 20 grams.

Other than that, the JE and Ross are very similar. Currently I'm running the Ross and if I had to purchase another, it would be a Ross.

JE and Wiseco are owned by the same parent company, but the pistons are quite different. The Wiseco piston is the heaviest of all.

One other note, I had to gap the rings that came with my Ross. The gaps were within spec with the rings that came with my JE. The same is true with the replacement rings I got from Wiseco for my JE.

You can order pistons directly from Ross and JE both. I don't believe any of the aftermarket dealers offer any better prices but you might check around.
cool ! thanks for all your help .

cals400ex
11-19-2003, 09:40 AM
i haven't had any problems with my ross. the only thing different i read was that the wiseco is lighter than the je. i don't know this for a fact, i just read a chart before. it showed the ross was the lightest and the je is the heaviest. however, this weight difference might not be noticable when riding.

86atc250r
11-19-2003, 02:56 PM
I've measured the pistons on a scale accurate to .1 of a gram (that's like cutting a paper clip into 10 pieces and being able to weigh the difference).

The Wiseco piston is the heaviest of the 3 mentioned, but it has a tapered wrist pin so, the combined assembly is a little lighter than the JE assembly - I should have mentioned that, but forgot.

I've also got numbers for a stock bore Wiseco high compression piston, but don't have them with me.

Here are the actual numbers of the bare pistons (all measured on the same scale):

Ross 87mm - 275.9g
Stock 85mm - 287.3g
JE 87mm - 291g
Wiseco 87mm - 296.5g
Ross 89mm - 302.4g

Here are the numbers of the whole assemblies (rings, clips, and wrist pin)

Ross 87mm - 376.7g
Stock 85mm - 381.7g
JE 87mm - 400.1g
Wiseco 87mm - 395g
Ross 89mm* - 388g (approx - estimating ring weight) This piston was also ordered with a "Special alloy" wrist pin that is significantly lighter than the normal pin, but supposedly stronger.

"Feeling" piston weight is not a big deal. It's effects on the rod can be a big deal at high RPM.

Colby@C&DRacing
11-19-2003, 11:33 PM
I really like both pistons. Yes it is true that jim at Ross pistons used to work for JE and designed those pistons. I do sell alot of both but have the JE and the ROSS pistons in stock. I run the JE in dusty's bike just because three years ago they were the first ones to make a quality piston for the 400 and I have not had to change it yet. I will be installing a Ross 426 in her bike this winter and making it a full blown race motor. It all comes down to personal preferrence.:)

bmw500hp
11-20-2003, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
I really like both pistons. Yes it is true that jim at Ross pistons used to work for JE and designed those pistons. I do sell alot of both but have the JE and the ROSS pistons in stock. I run the JE in dusty's bike just because three years ago they were the first ones to make a quality piston for the 400 and I have not had to change it yet. I will be installing a Ross 426 in her bike this winter and making it a full blown race motor. It all comes down to personal preferrence.:)

Colby, I am curious...it seems like she had a simple 416 and now your gonna put some serious thought to the build....how about some insight into your next step with that motor??? :cool:

Silverfox@C&DRacing
11-21-2003, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by bmw500hp
Colby, I am curious...it seems like she had a simple 416 and now your gonna put some serious thought to the build....how about some insight into your next step with that motor??? :cool:

Ya he thinks that is what he is going to do, but if I have a say :macho I really like my 416 but it is getting tired and starting to burn oil. I have had the 416 in it since april of 2000 but when the machine shop bored the cylinder they bored it with too much clearance and over time it has worn and now burns oil, I still have plenty of power so we shall she what happens, ;) He does have big plans for a 426 new rod ect (but he has to remember this is my bike and he sold his 440 for a cannondale)

bmw500hp
11-21-2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Silverfox@C&DRacing
Ya he thinks that is what he is going to do, but if I have a say :macho I really like my 416 but it is getting tired and starting to burn oil. I have had the 416 in it since april of 2000 but when the machine shop bored the cylinder they bored it with too much clearance and over time it has worn and now burns oil, I still have plenty of power so we shall she what happens, ;) He does have big plans for a 426 new rod ect (but he has to remember this is my bike and he sold his 440 for a cannondale)

Hey Look Honey your new bike! Were gonna go out for a ride, see ya in few months!!! lol

Being that Colby knows his stuff, I was really interested in his choice of Piston, compression, cam, pipe, and how much headwork he would address for for his loving "one and only"!

I think I am like alot of other riders in that we now own your basic 416 and although we may not be ready to grab that new quad yet, we are ready to take the next step and move that basic 416 to a hot 426 over the winter......:macho

Colby@C&DRacing
11-21-2003, 10:26 AM
Ya I like the 416 kits but as dusty said the 416 in getting alittle sloppy and needs a rebuild. I am not going to put a 426 kit in a bored stock sleeve I just don't trust it, so if I have to sleeve the cylinder I might as well go with the 88mm ross sleeve instead of the 85mm stock sleeve. My plans for this motor project are as follows.

Ross 426 11:1 kit including new sleeve.
longer head studs
Still run the hot cam stage II
Install heavier valve spring
Install oversizes valves with a three angle valve job
New valve guides
Port and polish the head
install new carrillo rod

I will use the thin gasket that I sell to get the compression to 11.5:1. I want to use the new rod just for good measure since her bike is a 99 and 11.5 comp is harder on the stock rod over time ( plus it is trick). Port the head for increased flow not to much because she like the motor to pull really hard down low. I will reuse the Hot cam stageII along with the sparks X6 pipe and 39mm FCR carb. Right now I have the sparks timing key istalled but am thinking of change it back to stock so that i can try one of the Dyna programable CDI boxs. I am also looking for a new frame for this bike since her current one is way tweaked from a headon collision in the woods:eek: so if anyone has a good frame let me know

cals400ex
11-21-2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by 86atc250r
I've measured the pistons on a scale accurate to .1 of a gram (that's like cutting a paper clip into 10 pieces and being able to weigh the difference).

The Wiseco piston is the heaviest of the 3 mentioned, but it has a tapered wrist pin so, the combined assembly is a little lighter than the JE assembly - I should have mentioned that, but forgot.

I've also got numbers for a stock bore Wiseco high compression piston, but don't have them with me.

Here are the actual numbers of the bare pistons (all measured on the same scale):

Ross 87mm - 275.9g
Stock 85mm - 287.3g
JE 87mm - 291g
Wiseco 87mm - 296.5g
Ross 89mm - 302.4g

Here are the numbers of the whole assemblies (rings, clips, and wrist pin)

Ross 87mm - 376.7g
Stock 85mm - 381.7g
JE 87mm - 400.1g
Wiseco 87mm - 395g
Ross 89mm* - 388g (approx - estimating ring weight) This piston was also ordered with a "Special alloy" wrist pin that is significantly lighter than the normal pin, but supposedly stronger.

"Feeling" piston weight is not a big deal. It's effects on the rod can be a big deal at high RPM.

yeah, when i read the article, it weighed the piston with the whole assembly. that is what i was getting at when i read the wiseco is lighter than the je. you posted some good info.

Dave400ex
11-22-2003, 08:44 PM
This post has some good info. I am also ready to build up my motor. It has been stock for 2 years now, besides my TC pipe and UNI filter. I was just looking at getting a JE 416 piston, TC cam, TC headstuds, and putting my FCR on. I'm not sure if that will add enough power for me. How much can I expect? I may want to do something else, such as a valve job and port/polish. Also I want this to mostly have bottom-mid power. Any ideas?

frogburner
11-22-2003, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by HOT-ROD
:D

Hey HOT-ROD,,,, You better not let Joe-Boo See this thread, or you may get GIGGLED at,, even though his is broke half the time,, ITS FAST..... And After I decide what my minor winter project will be,, You will be the slowest of the bunch..... No More Mister Nice Guy...:eek2:

I'm Tired of being beat by you,, Next spring that over with... You'll be looking my rearend over good....:muscle:

HOT-ROD
11-23-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by frogburner
Hey HOT-ROD,,,, You better not let Joe-Boo See this thread, or you may get GIGGLED at,, even though his is broke half the time,, ITS FAST..... And After I decide what my minor winter project will be,, You will be the slowest of the bunch..... No More Mister Nice Guy...:eek2:

I'm Tired of being beat by you,, Next spring that over with... You'll be looking my rearend ove
r good....:muscle:

:rolleyes:

HOT-ROD
11-23-2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by frogburner

I'm Tired of being beat by you,, Next spring that over with... You'll be looking my rearend over good....:muscle:

once again i spanked your ***** today . i can give you riding lessons frogburner !:eek2: