PDA

View Full Version : Cannondale vs. YFZ450

exrider123
11-18-2003, 03:58 PM
does anyone have any experience with either of these quads...against each other how do they compare..speed? handeling ?

cody anderson
11-18-2003, 04:02 PM
YFZ IS THE BOMB! And the crack-n-fail... I mean Cannondale blows! Just kidding all you Cannondaler's out there. They are fast too.

2001400ex
11-18-2003, 04:04 PM
I've heard in all the race stores that the YFZ was right at the Cannondale's *** end, but the Cannondale wins in a straight line, by about one length, the YFZ is at the Cannondale's back tires. Not sure about on a course. I would imagine it would be a really close race on a track.

cheetah
11-18-2003, 04:11 PM
They are truly almost even in eveything they do. I raced a yfz with and HMF exhaust and took it by about a foot and me stock. That much can easily be contributed to riders, but the Cdale was stock. It all comes down to do you want a little higher maintenance quad that is more unique or do you want a yfz where you can go to the dealer and get parts in stock, warranty, blah blah. Personally warranty don't mean a thing to me because I usually have at least one mod on before my 3rd ride. The yfz seat is a lot harder thus more uncomfortable. That isn't a big deal if you race MX. Dales are about $2000-2500 cheaper than a yfz which gives more mod money for an awsome quad! Just make sure you get all the necessary updates first. Just look em both over good and pick your personal preference. You can't go wrong with either quad.

jesshamner
11-18-2003, 04:23 PM
My friend and I got our new quads the same day. I got a Cannibal and he got the yfz. He bought an HMF slipon, k&n, and has a 160 jet in. My dale is stock...not even the ohlins shocks. We finally got a chance to test them out this past weekend. In the field we had a drag race. He beat me all 3 times. He is a better drag racer than I am though. We switched quads but didn't race on each other's quads. In the woods, he was leading b/c it was his woods. I had no problems keeping up with him. When I was leading, I pulled on him pretty easy. I have xc experience and he doesn't. When I was riding his yfz, it was horribly uncomfortable. The seat was as hard as a rock, when I shifted my weight, I felt like I was sitting on top of the gas tank, and overall, I felt like I was riding on top of it instead of in it. I like both machines though. They are both very capable of being fast. I will have some more results after Thanksgiving break when I go back home.

TGW_400ex
11-18-2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by jesshamner
My friend and I got our new quads the same day. I got a Cannibal and he got the yfz. He bought an HMF slipon, k&n, and has a 160 jet in. My dale is stock...not even the ohlins shocks. We finally got a chance to test them out this past weekend. In the field we had a drag race. He beat me all 3 times. He is a better drag racer than I am though. We switched quads but didn't race on each other's quads. In the woods, he was leading b/c it was his woods. I had no problems keeping up with him. When I was leading, I pulled on him pretty easy. I have xc experience and he doesn't. When I was riding his yfz, it was horribly uncomfortable. The seat was as hard as a rock, when I shifted my weight, I felt like I was sitting on top of the gas tank, and overall, I felt like I was riding on top of it instead of in it. I like both machines though. They are both very capable of being fast. I will have some more results after Thanksgiving break when I go back home.

I hate to tell you but i garuntee a stock canibal cant beat a YFZ. My 400ex acellerates as fast as a Cannondale Speed and the speed is a little faster in top end. The only cannondale i think that would have a chance against a YFZ is a Moto or maybe a Blaze

YamaWarr0121
11-18-2003, 04:36 PM
well let me say they are both kick *** quads..both handle great in stock form and both haul *** on the mx track. when it comes down to is the rider. Get 2 A class riders, one on a dale with suspension and arms, and a yfz with suspensnion and arms ( even tho your not sopossed to need it on there:rolleyes: ) and you will see the racers neck and neck the whole way. Throw on an exhuast on the yfz ( curtis sparks, and the dale is right on its ***, then have my quad with the Tc, and with mulitple races down the straight after a huge double we both do, it is neck and neck to the next jump, whoever lets off loses...

cheetah
11-18-2003, 04:37 PM
Jess said it pretty well. I too felt the ergonomics of the YFZ was off and that's why I went dale. I felt too cramped on the YFZ. It felt as if I was riding a blaster. Bottom line the machines are pretty much equal.

cheetah
11-18-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by TGW_400ex
I hate to tell you but i garuntee a stock canibal cant beat a YFZ. My 400ex acellerates as fast as a Cannondale Speed and the speed is a little faster in top end. The only cannondale i think that would have a chance against a YFZ is a Moto or maybe a Blaze

You must have the fastest 400 or the slowest speed because your ex could not keep up with dale. I'm not trying to flame, but I had a 400ex with high comp pistons, cam, degree key, full exhaust, modded airbox. Everything you could do short of a bore and stoke and my ex could not touch my dale. You better tell that cdale guy to learn to ride or get his bike checked.

Pappy
11-18-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by cheetah
You must have the fastest 400 or the slowest speed because your ex could not keep up with dale. I'm not trying to flame, but I had a 400ex with high comp pistons, cam, degree key, full exhaust, modded airbox. Everything you could do short of a bore and stoke and my ex could not touch my dale. You better tell that cdale guy to learn to ride or get his bike checked.

amen.

11-18-2003, 05:01 PM

Whoevers dale you raced,,tell them it's a POS because a properly running dale will outrun just about anything... PERIOD

jesshamner
11-18-2003, 05:06 PM
You must have one bad *** 400ex. My 400ex can't even be compared to the 400ex. It is a lost cause. I'm not flaming here either, just stating some facts. You can think the Moto is the only dale with a chance as much as you want, but I actually raced the yfz in the woods and dragging and they are damn close. The speed has the highest top speed of all the dales, so if your speed isn't outrunning your 400ex very easy...you need to have it looked at. Something is wrong with it.

jesshamner
11-18-2003, 05:15 PM
Lets not go into rounds about this. I hate seeing people argue about stupid stuff.:rolleyes: Lets just see other people's reviews of the cdale vs. yfz. This is a cdale vs. yfz thread so lets keep the ol 400ex out of it.

cdalejef
11-18-2003, 06:16 PM
Ok, here is my $.02 worth.
As most of you know I ran a Cannodale this past season in the
GNCC series. It has a Blaze map, Elka shocks, Hipers and HMF pipe, other than that it was bone stock. It is the best quad I have raced in the my 15 year run. Its also the first season that I've not had a DNF.
I rode a YFZ at the 12 Hours of America race last month. It had an HMF exhaust, jetted, stock suspension by Dirisi, Hipers, Houser stem and Houser arms.
First off, the YFZ was very similar to a Cannodale with a Blaze map. The Cdale has more bottom end and revs out a bit higher. The mid range of the YFZ has just a slight edge.
I'm not going to compare the suspension because the YFZ was setup for a person that weighs about 40 pounds more than me.
The Cdale feels more comfortable to me for a couple reasons. I'm 6'1" and the peg to seat clearance is farther than it is on the YFZ making it less cramped on the Dale and easier to stand up on. The seat on the YFZ was my biggest complaint, it is very hard. I had a bruised rear end for a week!:huh
The YFZ ran just as good as it did after 12 hours of torture than it did at the start of the race, so I'd say it will be a very reliable quad like my Cdale.
In my opinon, the Cdale gets the nod. They YFZ is very close but just not comfortable enough for me. The Cdales are going very cheap right now making them a great bargin for serious racers! I believe this is gonna end very soon as ATK and Dinli release their versions of the Cannondales. The prices will go back up.

I hope this helps.

AlaskaSpeed
11-18-2003, 06:28 PM
Thanks for a real ride report, Jeff.......:o

TGW_400ex
11-18-2003, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Rico
Whoevers dale you raced,,tell them it's a POS because a properly running dale will outrun just about anything... PERIOD

I donno i drag raced it and beat it the first time and lost by a little the second time and i rode it and it felt no faster than my ex?

BigAl
11-18-2003, 07:05 PM
It sure is a shame what happened with Cannondale.
I came this close to buying one.

Jeff, do you really have hope of a revived cannondale from either Dinli or ATK?

cdalejef
11-18-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by BigAl
It sure is a shame what happened with Cannondale.
I came this close to buying one.

Jeff, do you really have hope of a revived cannondale from either Dinli or ATK? Both are already being built!

2001400ex
11-18-2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
Both are already being built!

You know if they're going to run about the same price as the Cannondales did before they went out of buisness?

cdalejef
11-18-2003, 08:03 PM
I'm told that they will be a little cheaper.

markeg192
11-18-2003, 08:09 PM
YFZs beat the Dales around here. And if they build them again I doubt that they will sellant better this time since the YFZ and 450R are out.

jesshamner
11-19-2003, 12:48 AM
Wow. I'm sensing a lot of hostility towards the cannondales return from Dinli and ATK.

bknight
11-19-2003, 06:10 AM
been comeing here off and on now for sume time.
but could not pass on this one so had to register hi jeff.
one thing i could care less if i can out run one but i will not be back to far from him:D iv never rode one so i cant say how they handell . had a 250r for about 16yrs in tell i got this glamis i will never go back to the 250r this thing rocks.
if you dont know to much about them take the time to look at them its a good atv and so is the yfz.

markeg192
11-19-2003, 07:50 AM
Bknight you're right because the difference is minimal. I am still riding my 440 and am very happy with it . And yes it did just fine against the Blaze I lined up with( pretty much even until 5th where it pulled me just a bit). I want me some YFZ but there's only a couple around here and they aren't real coopertive about it.

seatec
11-19-2003, 08:05 AM
Jeff, and anyone who feels "On top" and cramped on the YFZ. i have to agree that initially the YFZ feels like a breeze, esspecially beeing 6'4". the " sitting on top of the machine" feeling will disappear after a few rides and then the quad actually feels nimble, at least to me. as for tall people having a problem standing up from a cramped position, a higher barclamp and or higher handle bar bend will solve that problem. i do however hope that someone will come out with a softer seat. Monkey butt is not one of my favorite feelings.:rolleyes:

cdalejef
11-19-2003, 08:14 AM
The one I raced had a 1" taller stem and CR high bend bars. It was the sitting to standing that bothered me.

XANDADA
11-19-2003, 08:50 AM
I think Jeffro should start writing comparison & review articles for ********. Good info & straight forward....

....and I didn't have to read 10 paragraphs about your pink fox riding gear:devil: :macho

cdalejef
11-19-2003, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by XANDADA
I think Jeffro should start writing comparison & review articles for ********. Good info & straight forward....

....and I didn't have to read 10 paragraphs about your pink fox riding gear:devil: :macho :o

rookiex
11-19-2003, 12:15 PM
I knew this day would come.The day ,When Dales where compared to YFZ's

I race a lot just about 3-4 times a week.The Number of YFZ's out on the track now are like the number of EX's a short year,Year an a half ago.Sometimes I am the only dale on the line, This weekend I raced 8-10 YFZ's at jackson indoor arena MX.

Off the gate YFZ's are fast but no faster than my dale by any means.The top 4 riders out of the gate to hole shot was Me a YFZ a 450EX an a 426 hybrid.

After a bit of a tangle in the whoop section I had to fight a PACK of YFZ's.I noticed there suspension was severly lacking in the whoop section I would skimm they would double an they would be extremely out of controal in the whoops.Not just the rider fault b/c some of the racers on there new YFZ's are good racers on diffrent machines I have seen before.

But What I liked the most that told me honest results, was the Turn to stright away where I passed 8 YFZ's.I would hit that turn on the inside with YFZ's on the out side an dead drag them to the next turn an beat them everytime One of the happend to be the #1 arena cross rider last year.

Im thinkin if you run a dale like a 2stk an revv the piss outta it an ride it like a good rider should you will beat a YFZ.fASTER bikes no such thing on the track when you got such close bike comparisions now. RIDER is what counts.

rookiex
11-19-2003, 12:23 PM
An whats this B/S i hear about a EX keeping up with a dale. Dude I had a modded out 440ex race Cammed CT vavles CT motor work done an a edelbrock carb that MIGHT be able to hang with my dale. Im sure some of you remember my old EX.There is no comparing.Love the EX to death still a great racer but it will be obsoleat in a year or so.

TGW_400ex
11-19-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by rookiex
An whats this B/S i hear about a EX keeping up with a dale. Dude I had a modded out 440ex race Cammed CT vavles CT motor work done an a edelbrock carb that MIGHT be able to hang with my dale. Im sure some of you remember my old EX.There is no comparing.Love the EX to death still a great racer but it will be obsoleat in a year or so.

I can no joke the speed is stock and all i got is a pipe and silcencer

cheetah
11-19-2003, 06:19 PM
Like we said tell that guy to get his speed checked.:o

rookiex
11-19-2003, 09:33 PM
Alright Ill believe you this once.But race another dale than that one there must be somthing wrong with the poor thing.Or the guy just has fear of speed.

danyeo
11-19-2003, 11:12 PM
I can no joke the speed is stock and all i got is a pipe and silcencer
I had pretty much the same exact EX with the T-4 and everything. My Dale is way faster than my old ex, but i had plenty of great rides on my EX that i will never forget, it's such a great trail quad. If you kept up with a Dale, then he was spinning his tires like crazy or he wasn't that great of a dragger, or you guys weren't revving the piss out of the Dale, remember stock Cannibals go up to 10,600 and Motos, Blaze, and Speed rev to 11600. I remember i raced my freinds 370 Banshee with my EX and i had him up till 4th gear, then he passed me like i was standing still, he was riding with Turf Tamers in loose sand and i had Razrs. He was spinning and i had traction.

86350x
11-20-2003, 02:58 AM
I was looking at both bikes myself, I liked everything about the c-dale except the looks of it, and some of the problem stories and them going out of buisness of coarse.

One thing I find strange, the c-dale bikes were never quite as fast as the yzf's or uncoked wr's. The Yfz must need the compression bumped up to 12.5 or 13 to 1 to really run like it should. Other then the traditional, pipe filter rejet ect.

I'd like to ride a c'dale, to see for myself. I have read great OWNER reports, as well as scary reports. The only people I see flaming yfz's are people who don't own them.

I'll have to look into it more, because if you can get something that good for a little over 4 grand it would be well worth it.

TGW_400ex
11-20-2003, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by rookiex
Alright Ill believe you this once.But race another dale than that one there must be somthing wrong with the poor thing.Or the guy just has fear of speed.

I will when i see one;)

bknight
11-20-2003, 05:44 AM
I'd like to ride a c'dale, to see for myself. I have read great OWNER reports, as well as scary reports. The only people I see flaming yfz's are people who don't own them

86350x

not all ppl here are flaming yfz's just sume. i to would like to try out a yfz. i did like your post about the problem stories i allmost did not buy this glamis because of the reports but im glad i did

RiPPiNiTuP7
11-20-2003, 10:40 PM
the yfz is the better quad for mx. just my opinion.

86350x
11-21-2003, 02:22 AM
Well were are these c-dales for sale, do they offer up a warrenty? And are they sold with all the updates? A blaze would be choice for me, but the ride report on the glamis makes one of those sound good also.

Put up some info, no more "my dad can beat up your dad" stuff. I read enough of that in the other rediculas thread that was closed.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

bknight
11-21-2003, 06:02 AM
try this one http://www.off-road.com/atv/reviews/quads/2003glamis440/glamis440.html this is the sameone that i got

Jeff@QuadShop
http://www.atkusa.com/bikes/specials/index.asp
http://www.cannondaler.com/
www.haydugcycles.com
http://www.cannondaleriders.com/
http://forums.cannondaler.com/viewtopic.p
http://cannondaleriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=3553
ok how that:D :D :D

bknight
11-21-2003, 06:06 AM
o sorry yes on warrenty? updates at atk
and you can try ebay

86350x
11-23-2003, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the links, still reading. More bike reviews then anything. But they are all good.:cool:

raptor_02
11-27-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by cheetah
They are truly almost even in eveything they do. I raced a yfz with and HMF exhaust and took it by about a foot and me stock. That much can easily be contributed to riders, but the Cdale was stock. It all comes down to do you want a little higher maintenance quad that is more unique or do you want a yfz where you can go to the dealer and get parts in stock, warranty, blah blah. Personally warranty don't mean a thing to me because I usually have at least one mod on before my 3rd ride. The yfz seat is a lot harder thus more uncomfortable. That isn't a big deal if you race MX. Dales are about $2000-2500 cheaper than a yfz which gives more mod money for an awsome quad! Just make sure you get all the necessary updates first. Just look em both over good and pick your personal preference. You can't go wrong with either quad. nice to see ya get you a DALE cheetah. I got me a YFZ. I'm heading out to Asheville NC tommorow for an indoor race. We need to rent daniel boone and get some seat time in next year. Seeya bud

cheetah
11-28-2003, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by raptor_02
nice to see ya get you a DALE cheetah. I got me a YFZ. I'm heading out to Asheville NC tommorow for an indoor race. We need to rent daniel boone and get some seat time in next year. Seeya bud

For real man we need to catch up.:D How you been doing lately? I raced some MX with the EX last year, but I think this year I'm gonna try and run the GNCC circuit. Looks like we both dumped our 400s to upgrade.;) Good luck at Asheville and PM me sometime about renting DB. I can't get enough people interested on my side to cover the charge, but maybe we could find a few people from the site to help out and have some kind of ride or something up there. I get my license next week so I may head up your way if you know some trails. Good luck and have fun.

cheetah
11-28-2003, 09:06 AM
Okay I want to stress one last time these bike are so close it too tough to call. What decided it for me was price. Had cdale still been in business and they were still charging retail for the cdale I probably would have gotten the YFZ. But the fact that I was able to sell my ex and shocks to cover the cost of the dale and come out $300 to the good was what did it for me. On my dale I have/have ordered Elka shocks all the way around, X-Factor Nerfs, Full HMF Exhaust, Tag Handlebars, Burgard Beadlocks all the way around, and have the diagnostics and maintenance software to map it and help with maintenance. I have got all of this for just $700 dollars over my dealer's price a YFZ. I feel that is a very good deal and I feel that it would be slightly more competetive in than a stock YFZ in my riding style which is XC. I'm not flaming the YFZ at all I think they look awesome as well, but it's all in personal preference.

.....oh yea and that's not to mention the great stuff the dale comes with stock like a hydraulic clutch, Galfer SS brake lines, holeshots, and some even have Ohlins on them stock you just have to look around. That was with all the updates too.

Sandgod4
12-09-2003, 07:59 PM
You will have to go inside a YFZ to catch me. My bro has a cam modded piped YFZ. I should know..

cannondale4good
12-15-2003, 09:01 PM
My first quad was a 400ex. Everyone else had raptors. I struggled to keep up. Tried a raptor. Loved the power hated the rest of the bike. I road the crap out of my EX and learned to keep up and became really fast. I sold my EX, heard of the YFZ's birth and put money down on one. The high price got to me and I checked out the cheap Dales. I got a new cannibal for $3500. Then came the YFZ's..test road one and hated the seat. The rest of the bike felt just like my dale. Before long they were everywhere. But I still ran neck and neck with them....bone stock dale. But what people don't realize is that every dale is different. It's like Ford building a drag car line. And hiring 30 different hot-rod mechanics to work for them. (Obviously some lazy ones too.) At the end of last season I had a timing chain tension bolt come loose and scattered my engine. I'ts now at Southbay Moto, getting very fast and RELIABLE. I'll will still have less in my dale than most YFZ guys. One good thing about the YFZ is when aftermarket goodies go on.... that thing COMES ALIVE!!!!!! YFZ's are BAD TO THE BONE. But I'm still DIE-HARD-DALE. My advice to anyone considering both.....Dare to be different.