PDA

View Full Version : Grease zerk on Swing Arm bolt... Anyone do it?

k2-dawg
11-18-2003, 02:16 PM
I've been thinking about putting a grease zerk on either end of my swing arm pivot bolt and drilling two small holes in it where the needle bearings are on the s-arm.... Any body try this before? And is it advisable?

11-18-2003, 02:25 PM
I've been using one Jeff@quadshop made me for about a year now. I used JB weld on one end and a zerk on the other. 2 small holes that line up with the large bushings and waa laa...:blah:

Jeff's been doing this for years so I'd say it will hold up pretty good if he's never bent or broke one..:macho

I'd say once a month I'll loosen the nut and turn the bolt several times while pumping grease in it. Having zerks on my swingarm in the same area is very nice also (houser racing and it came with the zerks installed). I had 1 nightmare with that got dam pivot bolt and that'll be the last...:mad:

Jeffksf
11-18-2003, 02:33 PM
I did it on my old YZ 250, my only tip is tap both ends of the bolt and when you grease it put a grease fitting at both ends, then when your done put a threaded pipe plug in its place. Why grease it from both ends? Because grease will take the path of least resistence therefore; the grease will have a tendency to only go to the nearest exit hole and not reach the further hole effectively. It can also be tricky to actually get grease to the needle bearings because the spacer the needle bearings ride on may block the grease.

k2-dawg
11-18-2003, 03:07 PM
Thanks fellas for the advice.

nacs400ex
11-18-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Jeffksf
I did it on my old YZ 250, my only tip is tap both ends of the bolt and when you grease it put a grease fitting at both ends, then when your done put a threaded pipe plug in its place. Why grease it from both ends? Because grease will take the path of least resistence therefore; the grease will have a tendency to only go to the nearest exit hole and not reach the further hole effectively. It can also be tricky to actually get grease to the needle bearings because the spacer the needle bearings ride on may block the grease.

Which is why you put JB weld on the other end ;)

Doibugu2
11-18-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by nacs400ex
Which is why you put JB weld on the other end ;)

He is saying grease it from both ends. So if you put JB weld on one end, that is the end that will never get grease. All the grease is going to go out before than. But I think either will work.

Takes me about 5 minutes to take the bolt out and grease it by hand.

Thanks Rico for warning me, so I don't have to go through what you and others did.

remlapr
11-18-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Rico
I had 1 nightmare with that got dam pivot bolt and that'll be the last...:mad:

I'm going to be taking mine out for probably the first time ever here in a couple of weeks and I'm scared :(

Jeffksf
11-18-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Doibugu2
He is saying grease it from both ends. So if you put JB weld on one end, that is the end that will never get grease. All the grease is going to go out before than. But I think either will work.

Takes me about 5 minutes to take the bolt out and grease it by hand.

Thanks Rico for warning me, so I don't have to go through what you and others did.

You got it.

Doibugu2
11-18-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by remlapr
I'm going to be taking mine out for probably the first time ever here in a couple of weeks and I'm scared :(

How old is your quad. I didn't do mine till the end of the first year and it was okay. I don't ride everyday, but I do ride in a lot of mud.

Start praying!:D

ILGNCC400EX
11-18-2003, 04:35 PM
thats the first thing i do when i get a new bike b 4 i ride it 4 the first time i take everything apart and grease it up. i can pee more grease than they put in at the factory

Juggalo
11-18-2003, 06:52 PM
do it if you got the means. getting my pivot bolt out was a *****!! i tried everything. finally i just had to get the blue hammer out (cuttin torch) to get that mofo out of there!

QuadTrix6
11-18-2003, 06:55 PM
I have an extra swingarm pivot bolt with nut if you want to experiment on it. PM me with an offer.