View Full Version : Wheel spacers

snrobin
11-18-2003, 09:05 AM
I was wondering have any of you guys or gals used or heard anything about those screw on wheel spacers that they sell on e-bay for $50.00? Are they durable or will they bust off my lugs on the first wheelie?? I want to add some width on my front end but i don't want to pay for the spendy a-arms............ Any info on these spacers would be great. Thanks in advance.

4TraxRider
11-18-2003, 11:00 AM
With previous experience, the screw on spacers always broke lugs and bent them. The Dura-blue spacers work OK, and I've never seen a broke set in my experience. You also experience a lot more bump-steer when using spacers and it puts a lot more stress on your upper a arm and spindle.

roostin_dale
11-18-2003, 12:59 PM
i bought those off ebay and i can tell you the are not good for MX. I just bouth some 400ex a-arms for my 250x.

ReconRider25
11-18-2003, 01:22 PM
why dont you just flip your rims around if theyre for the front?

snrobin
11-18-2003, 01:41 PM
I tried flipping my rims when i went home for lunch, The valve stem hits the brake calliper housing so i tried to put some spacers in and i only have about 1/4 inch of threads left on the lug bolts with the spacers on......... So i guess i will be buying some of the real deal thingy's not just jerry-rigging it for now :rolleyes:

ReconRider25
11-18-2003, 01:44 PM
when my friend flipped the rims on his 300ex he put this special plug type thing in where the stem was inside the wheel and theres a cap that screws on that looks like a screw so it wouldnt hit the rotor.

dirtmomma
11-18-2003, 02:23 PM
WEll we just bought 2 sets of those "screw on" type LOL all they are is stud extenders & we haven't had a problem w/ them BUT we only use them for flattracking!! I would NEVER NEVER jump w/ these type of spacers!! If ya got the $$ go w/ the durablue ones, only $30 more bucks I think. Good luck

muff
11-18-2003, 02:57 PM
dont waste your money, theyre good and all but put unnecessary stress on all of your front end....just find some cheap a-arms in the for sale section, quadtrix6 has some houser +2s for like $365 i believe

brazilian rider
11-18-2003, 03:00 PM
how can i flip the wheels on a yfz450
is there any bad thing I should know about doing it, cause i race gncc and go to mx thacks too
thanks

muff
11-18-2003, 04:46 PM
you will get a lot of bump steer...you'd probably be better off without it

JD400exrider
11-18-2003, 06:33 PM
I have run a set on the front and rear before i bought a arms. I had no problems. I weigh in at 200 lbs. You will feel a little more bump steer. I don't jump real big though. I have three riding buddies using the same with no problems. I have a set that i will sell for 45 shipped to your door. I believe they might be better than the yeller ones on e bay. I bought mine back east. 60.00 + shipping. If you are interested shoot me a PM

Diedrich
11-19-2003, 09:59 PM
this is how you flip your front rims:
take the tire off the rim
pull the old valve stem out and then turn it around backwards so its facing inside the tire
then drill a new hole on the other side and put a vavle stem in it
and then you have flipped rims
mine are flipped and havent had a problem with it

dont put wheelspacers in the front..in the back they aint too bad but make sure ya get durablue ones not the cheap looking screw on ones

snrobin
11-20-2003, 03:32 PM
:eek: ........... :eek: ................ :D It worked! I did what you suggested Diedrich. It worked like a charm!!! thanks everyone for your suggestions
:D

JD400exrider
11-21-2003, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by Diedrich
this is how you flip your front rims:

dont put wheelspacers in the front..in the back they aint too bad but make sure ya get durablue ones not the cheap looking screw on ones

I don't know what type of screw on ones you have seen but the ones i have and are using in the rear are a Whole Lot Better than any durablue spacer. I think there are some plastic screw on ones or the cheep ez fit ones from durablue. The ones I use are a chomoly and are very strong.

dirtmomma
11-21-2003, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by JD400exrider
I don't know what type of screw on ones you have seen but the ones i have and are using in the rear are a Whole Lot Better than any durablue spacer. I think there are some plastic screw on ones or the cheep ez fit ones from durablue. The ones I use are a chomoly and are very strong.

DITTO :) Me too on the rear do you know if they make those for the fronts?? That would be nice, I'm going to be making some well I should say one of our friends who's a machinist is going to be as soon as I take one off for him to copy. Might have to see if he can whip up some front ones w/ a pattern from my durablue ones.

JD400exrider
11-21-2003, 10:07 PM
Dirtmomma, I had the same pair in the front also. Both the front and rear ones are 1 1/2 " wider each side. + 3 total I bought them at midwest mini back east. They have a web site I think it is midwestmini.com or something like that. I will be selling a pair of the back when i get an axle soon. For the smaller kids quads i think they have a + 5" kit.

atvrida
11-23-2003, 08:24 AM
donyt bother with those wheel spacers on the front or the back because the back ones can bend your stock axle and it also puts alot of stress an you upper a arms and spindles

so those things are bad
:grr:

quadrider400
11-28-2003, 04:24 PM
I have two sets one for a LT 80 and they are on the front they work great and have decresed my grandsons tipping....

ON my 400 EX I have used them on front and rear and prefer the front.... only for the sand.....

I am refering to the screw on style.... I can not go with the longer A Arms due to riding in the woods and I am wide enough with out the spacers on......