PDA

View Full Version : 250r motor

thunder250
11-17-2003, 10:12 PM
How big of an undertaking is it to change out the left crankcase on an 86 250r? Or will it be better if I take it to a shop and spend $250 for them to do it.

AndrewRRR
11-18-2003, 12:22 PM
Depends on how mechanically inclined you are. Ever taken a 2 stroke down to nothing? It's not too bad but if you are hesitant you might want to pay somebody. I would definately get a shop manual if you don't have one before you start.

airheadedduner
11-18-2003, 12:22 PM
Taking it apart is easy, putting it back together is the *****:p
Whats your mechanical ability? If you have a decent amount of knowlage and a book it should be okay.

XANDADA
11-18-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by airheadedduner
Taking it apart is easy, putting it back together is the *****:p

lol, ain't that the truth. I'll do the top end but splitting the cases no way. Then again I'm sure you'd save a wad of cash doin it yourself...

wilkin250r
11-18-2003, 12:35 PM
Talk to the shop. Perhaps they will let you watch (or help) them take it apart and put it back together. You'll still probably need to pay the $250, but then you can save yourself the cash the next time around.

airheadedduner
11-19-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Talk to the shop. Perhaps they will let you watch (or help) them take it apart and put it back together. You'll still probably need to pay the $250, but then you can save yourself the cash the next time around.
The shops around here won't let you do that for insurence reasons. I know a lot of the shop and parts guys in my area and even then I raerly get to go back there.

If you have never split the cases before see if there is someone in your area that has and will help you. Getting the gears in, and right, is a pain. Assembleing all the ****er linkage and stuff that is behind the clutch basket is also a pain. There is no easy way to do it, especially the left case. You could also consider checking other places, might be cheaper somewhere else.

2ex1R
11-20-2003, 03:03 PM
I am only 18.I have built several small blocks.So I guess I am mechinacly inclined.

I just got both new center cases and crank for my 250r.I did the all the work my self and it started last night.The transmission even works.So is it impossible.No.It's just a matter of putting it back togother everything the way it was.

If you need anyhelp you can always ask.And I know someone will shoot you in the right direction.