PDA

View Full Version : 104 Octane boost

BIGRED400
11-17-2003, 07:04 PM
I am changing to an 416 JE 11:1 piston and might need more octane....Anyone ever use this??? http://www.goldeagle.com/104plus/products.htm

Varmit57
11-17-2003, 07:17 PM
For you guys that still think that more octaine = more horse power, you may want to study up. If I remember right Mickey Dunlap or one for those guys did a great article on what octaine is really for and how to fiugre out how much you need.

This is not a flame, I just want you to be informed.

11-17-2003, 07:30 PM
yes...my friend used it in his & it made his fourwheeler backfire alot & gave it very little performance boost. It will eventually mess up your four wheeler I have heard & it pretty much is a waste of money. I may be misinformed though. :(

F-16Guy
11-18-2003, 10:23 AM
Octane is a rating that measures a fuel's resistance to detonation. A higher octane rating means a fuel is less likely to detonate without a direct ignition source. This is important for high compression motors because when a gas is compressed it heats up, and on a high compression motor it could potentially heat to the point where the fuel/air mixture will ignite without any spark. Raising the octane rating by adding certain things, usually lead, keeps the fuel from igniting until the spark plug initiates it. The rule of thumb is to run the lowest octane fuel you can without hearing any detonation (knocking/pinging), any higher is a waste of money. Additives you buy at the auto parts stores usually only bump the octane a few thenths of a point, and they use harsh solvents like tolulene to do it. You're better off mixing 50/50 super and race gas or avgas (avgas is cheaper, about $2.30/gal). The lead in either is a lubricant, and is good for your motor.

hondafox440
11-18-2003, 03:32 PM
Exactly F16Guy.

Octane booster is a big no-no. It wreaks havoc on reeds, leaves a lot of deposits in the engine, and flattens throttle response.

pnut420
11-18-2003, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Varmit57
For you guys that still think that more octaine = more horse power, you may want to study up. If I remember right Mickey Dunlap or one for those guys did a great article on what octaine is really for and how to fiugre out how much you need.

This is not a flame, I just want you to be informed.

Yeah I agree even though we have bad gas in Cali, I would still rather mix half(maybe a little less) race gas and half 91 octane for a 11:1 motor. That is plenty, alot of people run pure race gas but come one thats more for 12.5:1 and above....

F-16Guy
11-19-2003, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by pnut420
Yeah I agree even though we have bad gas in Cali, I would still rather mix half(maybe a little less) race gas and half 91 octane for a 11:1 motor. That is plenty, alot of people run pure race gas but come one thats more for 12.5:1 and above....
All we have in AZ is that 91 crap, but my bike will run on it as long as I don't work it too hard. If I go to the dunes, or if it's hot outside, I have to run half and half. I live right by a small airport so I use 100LL avgas for the lower price.

pnut420
11-19-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by F-16Guy
All we have in AZ is that 91 crap, but my bike will run on it as long as I don't work it too hard. If I go to the dunes, or if it's hot outside, I have to run half and half. I live right by a small airport so I use 100LL avgas for the lower price.

I did some community service for the local airport by my house, they said they would hook me up with it as long as it was in containers, so as soon as I get the 426 here, Im going to buy some. They said the avgas burns really clean and at a lower temperature...

Britt
11-19-2003, 11:35 AM
You guys are right in not running fuel additives. Most (like 104) will state on the container that it raises octane "effect". Buy cleaning out carbon deposits they feel that the octane effect is being raised. Research on fuel octain will surprise you as well. There is a corolation between octane and the speed of the flame front (as the octain goes up, the flame front is slowed). If you run an octane rating higher than you actually need, not only are you wasting your money, you are decreasing your performance!

wilkin250r
11-19-2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Britt
Research on fuel octain will surprise you as well. There is a corolation between octane and the speed of the flame front (as the octain goes up, the flame front is slowed). If you run an octane rating higher than you actually need, not only are you wasting your money, you are decreasing your performance!

Absolutely. Race fuel burns at a slower rate. In a hign-compression motor, this isn't a big deal, because the high compression helps aid in combustion. However, in a stock or low-compression motor, race fuel burns slower than regular gas.

F-16Guy
11-19-2003, 12:05 PM
I did some community service for the local airport by my house, they said they would hook me up with it as long as it was in containers, so as soon as I get the 426 here, Im going to buy some. They said the avgas burns really clean and at a lower temperature...
Yeah, I run it straight at the dunes with no problems. The funny thing is, it's the same color as race gas (avgas is color-coded by it's octane rating) , it smells the same, and 100LL is the equivalent of 110 octane race fuel (because avgas is rated by the motor octane number only, not motor/research average). Coincidence?? I doubt it. I have no problems paying half the price for essentially the same product. Some claim that you have to run the next richer main jet because of the oxygenation, but I saw no difference.

pnut420
11-19-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by F-16Guy
Yeah, I run it straight at the dunes with no problems. The funny thing is, it's the same color as race gas (avgas is color-coded by it's octane rating) , it smells the same, and 100LL is the equivalent of 110 octane race fuel (because avgas is rated by the motor octane number only, not motor/research average). Coincidence?? I doubt it. I have no problems paying half the price for essentially the same product. Some claim that you have to run the next richer main jet because of the oxygenation, but I saw no difference.

Yeah these guy there were really cool, they said I could run it all day long with no problems, they said you will actually be suprised how much cooler it will run. Im sure the jetting might be a little different, but its not like I dyno my stuff anyway, my jetting will always be a little off. Im in Cali and I think they were gonna charge me $2.30 a gallon, but I thought they had 110 as the lowest..

F-16Guy
11-20-2003, 07:01 AM
...but I thought they had 110 as the lowest..
You can also get 80LL and something a little higher, like 85 or 87. At most airports, the most common are 80LL and 100LL. I think the 80LL is red, The next one is green, and the 100LL is blue (correct me if I'm wrong, but the truck driver told me and I can't remember exactly right now--- it's 7:00am:confused: ).