PDA

View Full Version : Oil coolers...

Smokin 440
11-17-2003, 06:56 PM
I'm currently buyin another 440 motor that has a fresh rebuild .10 over w/ a 12.5:1 comp piston at least a 3 angle valve job(possibly 5 angle not sure) oversized valves, springs, rockers and a custom ground web cam, supposedly dynoed at 58 hp at the wheels, and i've seen it radar at 103 mph:D. But my ? is has anybody fabbed up a different oil cooler, im thinkin about using 2 stock coolers if thats possible b/c ill have my stock one and the one that comes w/ the engine(im getting the entire setup w/ it)..... has anyone done it, could i mount it somewhere with more air flow????

thanx

Btw im stroking the motor before i swap it in, and im thinkin my frame is gonna need to be gusseted? And im prob gonna get some elkas or tcs's not sure yet, no matter what im gonna die...:devil:

hotex28
11-17-2003, 07:54 PM
Desert toyz has one that mounts in the stock location and is triple the size of stock.FST has a cooler kit made from an auto tranny cooler and mounts out front on the quad.FDO is in the prosess of developing a dual cooler setup.Before spring I have to get some sort of auxillary cooler & an oversized oil tank too.My 493 is begging to be cooled off!

Smokin 440
11-17-2003, 07:57 PM
493????? holy $h!t what kinda numbers u crankin out, top end hp etc?

hotex28
11-17-2003, 09:31 PM
I don't know any #'s,I havn't had it on a dyno.I've only had it finished for about 2 races.It runs pretty strong,lots of broad usable power.especially bottom end grunt and midrange torque.It revs really quick too.

bmw500hp
11-18-2003, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by hotex28
Desert toyz has one that mounts in the stock location and is triple the size of stock.FST has a cooler kit made from an auto tranny cooler and mounts out front on the quad.FDO is in the prosess of developing a dual cooler setup.Before spring I have to get some sort of auxillary cooler & an oversized oil tank too.My 493 is begging to be cooled off!

270 bucks, 350 bucks...pleeeeaase! by the prices these guys are wanting for 16 ounces of aluminum fins! I guess we are just begging to be ripped off.... you can buy an aftermarket cooler available for a $20,000 dirt track motor for about $375.00 and it is 30 times the size!

trx440
11-19-2003, 12:19 AM
I can by 1 ton of scrap aluminum for less than $200 but it won't make my bike run any cooler

JD400exrider
11-19-2003, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by trx440
We will have a new oil cooler replacement for sale as early as Dec.1.

We are looking at @ $269 for a price.

PM me if you are interested and I will send you pix of the set-up.

I aggree with BMW and Rico on this one. The cooler and hoses can't be more than $ 100.00 in parts if that. Why the 270- 350 for a cooler. I am all for a company making some money but trippling the price is BS Mickey has a great cooler I just don't feel like tapping into my head. He is charging a honest fair price for his. Just explain why so much. What is the difference between the one your selling for 269 and deserttoyz cooler at 350. Both are over priced.

F-16Guy
11-19-2003, 07:28 AM
Come on! Everybody knows, when you put "ATV" next to any part or accessory, the price automatically doubles. If you add "sport" or "racing", it doubles again.:eek2: :blah:

44oEX
11-19-2003, 07:35 AM
58HP and 13 MPH what does he have nos and a turbo:eek2:

The FST 500 only has 45-50 Hp

What gearing does he run to hit 103. 16F, 34R and 25 inch tires:confused: ???

Smokin 440
11-19-2003, 05:39 PM
Not sure, i know a 16t front and somethin really small on the rear, im not sure im gonna ask him though, but i know he was runnin some harder compound flattrack tires which were 22s, i didnt believe it til i saw it.

The motor is tuned for straight race gas not sure which octane, no nos, no turbo. If i get the motor the crank is goin to powroll to get stroked. maybe a boondocker n2o kit is a possiblity to... but i dont wanna die that much....

TravEX
11-19-2003, 05:58 PM
103!:eek2: :confused:

wouldn't that be a new world record???

Smokin 440
11-19-2003, 06:02 PM
i doubt it ive had my current motor up to 85ish and that motor has bout 17rwhp on me and 1000 rpms

TheX1992
11-19-2003, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by TravEX
103!:eek2: :confused:

wouldn't that be a new world record???

i think its around 160 or 170. i was reading a thread about it. i dont think its a new world record. my buddy's 330r cranks 105 no problem

trx440
11-20-2003, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by JD400exrider
I aggree with BMW and Rico on this one. The cooler and hoses can't be more than $ 100.00 in parts if that. Why the 270- 350 for a cooler. I am all for a company making some money but trippling the price is BS Mickey has a great cooler I just don't feel like tapping into my head. He is charging a honest fair price for his. Just explain why so much. What is the difference between the one your selling for 269 and deserttoyz cooler at 350. Both are over priced.

The cooler which I can get is probably identical in size to the $350 unit. It is most likely the EXACT same. It is VERY different from FST's cooler. It would be very good for desert racers, you may not even need it. It is not cheap as it is used for a special application. I challenge you to find it from the OEM. Off the top off my head, my best guess of a Retail price to you would be $325. Add hoses, clamps, fittings and I hope you get the picture.

If you would like a cooler the size of FST's, I can sell them cheaper. If you want one 2 1/2 times as big that bolts into the stock mounts, I can get you one of those for less than anybody sells a kit for. I am not really interested in selling those parts.

I see half the 400ex owners here have scoops. These sell from $45 to $69. I can make you a pair for under $5 in materials. Why don't you question the manufacturers of those parts? They operate at 300% - 450% margins. My margin would be less than 10% of that product.

In the end, I assure you that if I were to sell these I would not be overpriced. You just might not be willing to spend what it takes to buy that particular cooler. However, there might be another upgrade cooler, that better fit your needs, that is in your price range.

I have requested advertising info from EXRiders and may try and sell 3 levels of coolers to fellow members.

pnut420
11-20-2003, 10:53 AM
Buy a cooler from Mickey Dunlap. He will answer every question you have and he will actually tap into the head and clutch cover for you(Cost extra of course).His kit is only $110 plus shipping and it is worth every penny, he also originally started making them, so Im always down to support the maker of a good product.