PDA

View Full Version : Longer swingarm or not?

Ty's400
11-17-2003, 06:55 PM
I was wondering everyone's opinion on the +1-1/4 swingarm for the 400ex. Is it worth it to have the extra length or not? How much difference does it make, if any? I have heard that it is good to have the longer swingarm if you have a lot of engine mods or a lot of power to keep the front end down. But then I've heard with the longer length you tend to slide around in corners worse, making you have to sit clear back to keep the rear end from sliding out. Let me know what you think. Thanks

K_Fulk
11-17-2003, 09:02 PM
It depends on rider prefrence, I like to have them.

When i first had my motor doneand didnt haveany suspension mods i would hit a bunch of trees. After i got the swingarm i didnt hit as many trees beacuse my frontend wouldnt come up all the time going around a corner or whatever.
Awhile later i went back to stock suspension and did ok beacuse i think i was used to the power by then. But i still prefer to have an extended swingarm. I run a laeger +1 1/4.

Silverfox@C&DRacing
11-18-2003, 02:01 PM
Yep I would have to say rider preference.. if the front end is comming up on you all the time they I would go with the longer swingarm.. but if you are like me and can't get the front end off the ground then stick with stock. (I can't ride a wheelie to save my life :rolleyes: ) even when drag racing I see people stand there quads up all the time not me maybe I have the right amount of clutch control (who knows)

Out_Sider
11-18-2003, 02:08 PM
everytime i hit the gas, my front end wants to come up...but i am also running completely stock suspension, and a blown rear.......:p

Ty's400
11-18-2003, 07:06 PM
Thanks for your opinions. It sounds like most prefer longer though when they have engine mods or more power. I know what you mean though Silverfox...haha, I'm not much of a wheelie rider either (no matter how hard I try). Tricks aren't my game though, I'd rather race!

Greg Z
11-18-2003, 07:12 PM
wont a longer swing arm though screw up the balance of your quad and give u wheel spin?

K_Fulk
11-18-2003, 07:55 PM
at the start of the race when i take off it usually just spins a lil bit then takes off, starting in 2nd gear. Sometimes its nice to have a lil wheel spin but it isnt excessive.
I still dont have any problem doing 4th or 5th gear wheelies either.

Dave400ex
11-18-2003, 08:13 PM
Tyler what you need to do is get the Elka linkage for the rear with the Elka shock. :blah:

Anyways, I would get the longer swingarm. I know you plan on getting motor work sooner or later so you might as well get it.

bradley300
11-18-2003, 09:32 PM
the longer swingy, even only 1 1/4 inch is a night and day difference on how much smoother the ride is with the longer swing arm. traction is a little loose, but you get used to it, and its not a problem

k2-dawg
11-19-2003, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by bradley300
the longer swingy, even only 1 1/4 inch is a night and day difference on how much smoother the ride is with the longer swing arm. traction is a little loose, but you get used to it, and its not a problem

I agree wit him^^^. I like my set up with the +1 1/4.

400grl
11-22-2003, 07:52 AM
I had +1 up front and went +1 in the rear - and the difference was amazing!!! For MX it worked out awesome for me - you stick the corners better and the whoops are much easier (not so much swapping out!). I had a problem wheelieing on my holeshots, but the longer swinger and a-arms helped fix that!