PDA

View Full Version : Longer shifter - any ideas?

remlapr
11-17-2003, 04:00 PM
I need a shifter that is at least 1" - 1.5" longer then the stocker. I'm wondering if I could just get one for a bike or something, but I really have no idea how compatible they are. Anybody have any idea?

11-17-2003, 04:42 PM
Have you pulled the shifter off and put it back on with it pointing upward more instead of being parallel with the ground?? After buying my new boots and putting on the peg extenders I rotated mine up about 3 - 4 splines, and it was much easier to shift..:cool:

remlapr
11-17-2003, 04:49 PM
Yeah, I had to do that when I started wearing boots. Problem is I'm rigging something up that is going to make my pegs more forward and lower and it looks like the shifter is going to hit too much in the middle of my foot to shift easily....

11-17-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by remlapr
Problem is I'm rigging something up

:eek:

You in grandpa's cough syrup again....:confused:

remlapr
11-18-2003, 08:14 PM
Nah - I just want to try something. Only problem is I'm going to have to destroy a set of pro pegs to do it. By the way - does anyone know if you can cut steel with a dremel??

redrunner
11-18-2003, 09:00 PM
For the type of cutting you are looking to do you'll probably burn up the little thing along with a 100 or so of those little wheels. I do tool and die work and machining and if you are thinking of cutting up a peg find an aircompressor and a die grinder or a good cut off saw. Slow and steady can work too, get a good quality hacksaw and take your time with a little oil and a vise you can handle it. Torches always leave a big mess behind and alot of extra grinding. Again the key to the hacksaw is take you time and keep it straight.

Martin Blair
11-18-2003, 09:03 PM
dont destroy your pro pegs you idiot, do it without them.yes you can if you have a few cans of disc and a whole weekend to cut crap, get a air cut off wheel or a reciprical saw.

you could take your stock shifter to a wled shop, have them cut it add a bit and there ya go

redrunner
11-18-2003, 09:07 PM
yep 400exracer is right I did that to my kids 250 skyhawk. Welded up about 1.5" to it blended it and had it chromed.

remlapr
11-18-2003, 09:32 PM
I'm not cutting them in two. I'm mainly need to cut off some welded on tabs. So I'm think if I can just weaken the welds them then put the peg in a vice I can break them off. It's impossible to explain without see what kind of Pro pegs I have. They are the magnums if you know what they are. The pegs are actually part of the nerf bar.

Back to my original question, I'm hoping I can just buy one designed for a different quad or dirt bike that is longer?? Does anybody think this will work??

KAWSAM62
11-19-2003, 07:07 AM
they make air powered cut off wheels that will cut in seconds and i cut my shifter and added a inch and heliarc welded it back with ease pm me maybe i can be of service?:D

Silverfox@C&DRacing
11-19-2003, 08:07 AM
As for the shifter I will do some looking. But just a note on the acpropegs for the banshee they make them 1 inch back and 1 inch down. I don't know if you want to use the same concept or not :confused:

Doibugu2
11-19-2003, 08:24 AM
Rempler I have a set of AC propegs where one of the bars are bent up. Not sure if you could use them, but I would be willing to sell them.

They are less than a year old, I just bent one of the sides pretty bad in a roll. Pegs are okay.

And cutting steel with a dremel is probably going to be like cutting frozen food with a butter knife. It can be done, but it's going to take for ever.:eek2:

Braff1
11-19-2003, 08:31 AM
Ryan, the magnum Pro pegs you have will set your foot pegs back 1/2 inch and down 1/2 inch from where the stock foot pegs are located.

remlapr
11-19-2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Silverfox@C&DRacing
As for the shifter I will do some looking. But just a note on the acpropegs for the banshee they make them 1 inch back and 1 inch down. I don't know if you want to use the same concept or not :confused:

Thanks Dusty - I'm thinking maybe one made for a different quad may pretty much be the same thing, just longer??

remlapr
11-19-2003, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Braff1
Ryan, the magnum Pro pegs you have will set your foot pegs back 1/2 inch and down 1/2 inch from where the stock foot pegs are located.

Braff - I looks like 1"+ lower and about 1/2 - 1" back. I'm going to cut them down to just pegs, then mount them on the opposite sides, so they will actually be lower and more forward. It will work, but the left peg will be too close to the shifter to get the front of my foot under - that's why I need a longer shifter...

Runnin Dumb
11-19-2003, 11:03 AM
Just my 2cents ----- Duct tape a cut off broom stick to what you got and make it stick shift. As slow as you ride, shouldn't be nooooo problem:devil:

remlapr
11-19-2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Runnin Dumb
Just my 2cents ----- Duct tape a cut off broom stick to what you got and make it stick shift. As slow as you ride, shouldn't be nooooo problem:devil:

:cuss: :cuss: