PDA

View Full Version : Bigger oil cooler and tank???

speedy
11-17-2003, 12:35 PM
I am geting a 440 kit for my 2000 400ex and i was wondering if i needed to buy a bigger oil cooler and a bigger oil tank so it wont seize up like ive heard:confused:

11-17-2003, 12:48 PM
Just get a 416 and be done with it. YOu'll save twice the amount of money probably....:cool:

Colby@C&DRacing
11-17-2003, 01:09 PM
Come on Rico there is nothing wrong with the 440 kits:) I do agree the 416 is a nice kit but a 440 rips when built right. I run a larger oil tank along with a synthetic oil after breakin, I would also buy a set of air scoops to help with cooling

11-17-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
Come on Rico there is nothing wrong with the 440 kits:) I do agree the 416 is a nice kit but a 440 rips when built right. I run a larger oil tank along with a synthetic oil after breakin, I would also buy a set of air scoops to help with cooling

NOthing wrong with a 440 at all but I"m thinkin this feller (along with a lot of others) thinks just going with a 440 kit, no cam, or other upgrades is gonna make their 400 into a banshee killing machine, when he can get the same power from a 416 kit for less money and hassle. :cool:

Speedy what all do you plan on getting with this kit????

Colby@C&DRacing
11-17-2003, 01:20 PM
I see were you are coming from but I happen to know that this feller has called me and discussed his options on the pistons kits and I have explained the need for a cam and other parts to make the piston kit work to its full potential.

hotex28
11-17-2003, 07:41 PM
Has anyone tried the new oil cooler from deserttoyz? I know its not worth $350 but it looks like a cleaner install than the FST cooler.Is the quality high?

400exdad
11-18-2003, 11:41 AM
My vote is a cooler. Someone once posted that with the larger tank, it just takes longer to get just as hot. Makes sense to me.

11-18-2003, 11:47 AM
$350 for that cooler is friggon nutz..:rolleyes:

It looks like a really hot item that would work great but is it made of gold or something:huh

remlapr
11-18-2003, 12:07 PM
I couldn't agree with Rico more. I would be willing to pay $200, that would make it comparable to a nice oversized oil tank. I bet even at $200 they would still be making a killer profit. Maybe we could get them to work us a deal on a group buy? What would you guys be willing to pay?

mxracer111
11-18-2003, 12:29 PM
i dont agree with the price of their $350 cooler....

but from my experiances with this subject, the stainless braided lines are not cheap..... i had a company make stainless brainded lines for my yz400 motor in my ex.... the lines alone cost over $200. its mainly because of the special fittings and all....

Dunlap
11-18-2003, 01:22 PM
The price is not the problem, its the way it works. By the time the oil goes through all the gears,cases,oil pump ect. the oil is back up to its highest temp. again before it gets to the place it needs to be 50* cooler, the head. Cooling the head with that 50* cooler oil is the best thing you can do for a RFVC type motor. You will not have to harden your rockers,the valves,valve springs and valve seats will last longer and the valves will seal better, making more power at the same time. Each motor has its high wear areas. Most of the Hondas its the rockers,Yamaha warriors is the bottom end rod bearing. As an motor builder I see what fails first and then build a cooling system that takes care of the problem. Its doesn't hurt to cool the oil the way they do its just not the best.

pnut420
11-18-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Mickey Dunlap
The price is not the problem, its the way it works. By the time the oil goes through all the gears,cases,oil pump ect. the oil is back up to its highest temp. again before it gets to the place it needs to be 50* cooler, the head. Cooling the head with that 50* cooler oil is the best thing you can do for a RFVC type motor. You will not have to harden your rockers,the valves,valve springs and valve seats will last longer and the valves will seal better, making more power at the same time. Each motor has its high wear areas. Most of the Hondas its the rockers,Yamaha warriors is the bottom end rod bearing. As an motor builder I see what fails first and then build a cooling system that takes care of the problem. Its doesn't hurt to cool the oil the way they do its just not the best.

I agree with you completely Micky, but where the hell do we get a good cooling sytem for a good price then, yah make one??? :)

Dunlap
11-18-2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by pnut420
I agree with you completely Micky, but where the hell do we get a good cooling sytem for a good price then, yah make one??? :)

Yes Iam the one that came up with this and that everyone has tried to copy.

pnut420
11-18-2003, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Mickey Dunlap
Yes Iam the one that came up with this and that everyone has tried to copy. I sell the kit for $110 plus shipping.

Do you offer one that just bolts on, or do you have to tap into the engine to make it work?

Dunlap
11-18-2003, 10:22 PM
There is only one way to get the cool oil into the head and that means tapping into the clutch cover and valve cover. If you cant do it we do it.

bmw500hp
11-18-2003, 10:49 PM
If anyone dissagrees with Dunlap, go out and get yourself an RF temp guage. (actually a good investment)

Now throw it in your pocket and go out for a ride with about 4 to 6 other ex's....preferably one with a Dunlap cooler in the pack.

After the motor's are good and hot, click the cooler on various areas of the engine and cooling systems on the bikes.

Prove it to yourself!

The oil is brought back to near original tempreture via passage back through the cylinder enroute to the head.

Why just throw away your your $350.00 HARD EARNED bucks on something that was sub-contracted for manufacture at presumably less than $30.00! ALL TOLD...

Anyone who spends $350.00 for that western oil cooler needs to examine his head, and not the one on the quad!:blah:

speedy
11-19-2003, 08:14 PM
How does oil get to the piston if u have to tap in to the valve cover and clutch cover? (just curious how it works.)

Dunlap
11-20-2003, 08:37 AM
The piston gets its oil from oil that is pumped in to the end of the crank and it comes out from around the bottom rod bearing. As the crank turns the oil is thrown on to the cylider walls and under the piston.

bradley300
11-20-2003, 08:49 AM
mickey, what about your cooler for the 300, does it work that same as the 400's? i know the 300 has an external line going from the bottom to the top, do you just tap into that line with your cooler or is it more complicated than that?

pnut420
11-20-2003, 10:48 AM
Hey Mickey what do you guys charge to tap into the head and the valve cover? I can do it, but dont want to risk it. PM me if people are getting mad about putting prices on here.

Dunlap
11-20-2003, 01:26 PM
The 300ex cooler cost less and no drilling or tapping. I can do the drilling and tapping for alittle more than it would cost to ship it to me on the 400ex.

speedy
11-20-2003, 08:31 PM
Does the Jagg coolers require tapping like the Fcr's do on a 400ex??

y2k400ex
11-21-2003, 11:22 AM
Hey Mickey,
I'm running a larger oil tank on mine. I'm thinking about adding one one of you oil coolers. Does the stock motor have enough oil pressure to handle it?

Dunlap
11-21-2003, 11:46 AM
It doesn't matter if its stock or full race the RFVC motor needs one and the pressure is the same on both.