PDA

View Full Version : sparkplug problems

400woodsrider
11-17-2003, 07:52 AM
my spark plug alawys seems to be loose after I tighten it if I put my finger on the top of it I can wiggel it up and down a little bit do I have big problems on hand and also headers get red hot when warming up any help would be greatly apreacatied very worierd

perry
11-17-2003, 08:10 AM
My plug does the same thing until I have it completely tightened. I think it is just normal. Try spraying a lil wd40 on the threads, seat by hand, tool tighten by hand, then give a 1/8 turn with force. This should stop the wigglin.
As for your headers glowin read, I think I heard someone say that is caused by running lean. Read your plug by going to the faq section and make sure your are not running lean.
Have you had any mods done?

400woodsrider
11-17-2003, 08:20 AM
is the spark plug wernch that comes with the tool kit the only desing of wrench that will fit down it the littel cubby hole they put the spark plug in

cals400ex
11-17-2003, 09:20 AM
are you saying your headers glow when idleing? if so, turn the fuel skrew OUT on the bottom of the carb. you may want to do this in 1/4 turn increments until they stop glowing. also, don't go past 3.5 turns out. if you have to go out this far, go get a bigger pilot jet. what are your mods? what elevation you at? whats the temp your riding in?

perry
11-17-2003, 09:44 AM
Nah, you can buy a socket that will fit the plug. Alot of people seem to just use sockets, but then again some other people warn against it for fear of stripping the threads out. The way I see it is that since you should only be making an 1/8 th or quarter turn with the tool, you shouldnt need to by a socket for it anyways. I kind of like the stock tool. It the next best thing to putting the damn plug somewhere you can get to it :)

400woodsrider
11-17-2003, 08:13 PM
my headers glow when I am giving it a littel bit of gas when it is first started and I am warming it up the temp that I am riding at is statrting to get cold just below 0 celius and I have a socket to fit my spark plug wrench but I cant get it in the slot that the spark plug sits in lost my tool that came with it have to buy a new one

perry
11-17-2003, 08:20 PM
Cant speak on the glowin pipes, but I know that your quad will overheat if you are running lean. Check the tech section and see about reading your plug to see if you are running lean. I hear you on the socket, cant get mine down into the case either, but my dad had one with thinner walls that would fit. I am sure you can buy one. But I suggest getting on eBay or going to a honda dealer to get a new tool kit.