View Full Version : 6 ply, too much?

dlockett99
11-17-2003, 12:22 AM
I ordered some 6 ply razors from treaddepot.com to replace my stockers for the first time. Got them in yesterday and these tires are heavy duty!! Did I order too much tire for trail riding and moderate jumping? Will I lose much acceleration from a heavier tire? And how will a stiffer sidewall affect my landings from big jumps? Thanks

jtej
11-17-2003, 07:32 AM
i like 6 ply's b/c i run only about 1-2 lbs. of air in them. they conform to any irregularities in the terrain and overall are better for trail riding. i do just fine with jumping but again i run very low air pressure. I do this with both my sur traks and razrs on stock honda rims and never have a problem with them poping off the bead. All i can say is go for the 6 ply it is well worth the piece of mind.

Steve-o 400EX
11-17-2003, 09:50 AM
Yea, I run 6 ply razrs and I have to say it was a great investment. I run 4.5lbs of air in min though. It grips and slides when i want it too and they jump good too. I think the only thing i'll do differently next time is get the razr 2's.;)

jay's 300
11-17-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Steve-o 400EX
Yea, I run 6 ply razrs and I have to say it was a great investment. I run 4.5lbs of air in min though. It grips and slides when i want it too and they jump good too. I think the only thing i'll do differently next time is get the razr 2's.;)

same here! :D

Fat Possum
11-17-2003, 11:10 AM
What he said.....I run the 6 ply razr's.....paid $200 bucks for a full set of 6 plys from Rocky mountain ATV, cost me about $40 bucks to ship 'em to TN. I love mine, and am about to replace due to wear. Will likely go to the razr 2 simply b/c of the added "side bite" that I should get outta' the huge side lug action they provide. I run 5lbs in the front, 3.5lbs in the rear and have over a dozen plugs in one front sidewall and half that on the other front sidewall. I'm sure I'da' torn the punk snot outta' stockers or lesser tires with the riding we do.
to answer your question; "its better to have too much, than not enough." I just read where one of the top riders brought home first in a moto running razr 2's, so they shouldn't slow you down too much.....

2ex1R
11-17-2003, 01:14 PM
I run 6 ply razr's all the way around my 300ex.And I am getting ready to get them all the way around on my 400 to.

I haven't had one flat with the front tires yet.the rears I had a piece of glass go through.I was still able to ride home.The sidewalls are so stiff it held the bike up.

Just to give you an idea.After 30 minutes of riding on stock 400ex tires I already had a flat.On holeshot mx's with my R It took me 20 minutes to ruin a brand new tire.Now if I am going in the woods.It's 6 ply razr's.

Quadfather
11-17-2003, 05:38 PM
6 ply all the way.

nacs400ex
11-17-2003, 06:29 PM
Well if you do a lot of rough trail riding 6-ply is great. For MX or jumping, I would say its too heavy duty. I usually run 4-ply on the trail, but thats not too often.