PDA

View Full Version : Rode a YFZ....not impressed

Evan
11-16-2003, 10:17 PM
Well I finally got to find out what all the hullaballoo is about today when i got to ride a YFZ 450(blue) with a GYTR slipon. My impression was i was not impressed. Take into consideration my current ride is a mildy modded 250R setup for MX which runs and handles like a dream. BUT!....Heres my dislikes, and likes(very few) First off, I hop on take off putt around a lil bit to get the feel of it, then I hammer it after a while, WTF? where is all this INSANE POWER everyone is talking about? , it responds quite well when pinned from mid rpm range on up. It doesnt like to be lugged, just like a 2strk, it likes to be revved. I rode a raptor back to back with the yfz and they are quite simliar in power. That was proably what I liked most about the quad:the motor, but still not all that impressive. We did a few drag races, I beat him a few times, he beat me a few times(even though I did miss shifts, I was right there with him, but thats still considered beating me I guess-and Im severely traction challenged(long swingarm, low gearing, worn tires)Hit the brakes, ugh, they go nearly to the handle bar, how comforting is that, sure when they are nearly pinned to the bar they stop pretty good, but they sure are mushy, most single piston brakes i rode felt better than these. Back brakes, ok, no complaints. Clutch smooth worked great. Handling, well its no 250R thats for sure, it was like deja vu from the brand new raptor days, tippy, jittery, etc... at least it didnt have the narrow axle in the back. Tires:worked great hooked well, predicatable. Jumping, didnt jump a whole lot, just about 30ft on a table top, OUCH! man those things are stiff, proably great for huge air jumps, but smaller stuff is harsh. Seat, hard as a brick, the raptors seat in comparison is like comparing your bed to your floor. Leaning..ugh, same as a raptor, how do they expect you to lean with no room to maneuver? Now im kinda tall..6ft 4in, but im small framed, 170pounds,,,but my knees hit the front fenders and my butt hits the rear fenders when i lean, thats very uncomfortable when racing when you need to lean as much as possible especially on this thing. I wont go into other irritating design flaws that are common on the raptor as well as this machine(swingarm adjustment, tierodends etc) If you ask me, they took the raptor, put a better motor in it, got better shocks and brakes and call it TECHNOLOGY! Im amazed people are saying these things are sooo great. BTW-this guy is already having trouble with 5th gear:huh It shouldnt be to hard for honda to beat this. Ill have to ride the 450R and see how I like it, so far Ill still be keeping the ole two fiddy R for a while.

Ryan8R
11-16-2003, 10:41 PM
Yes i agree totally with you Evan. to let everyone else know, not that you care, i was there and it was my raptor that he rode right after the YFZ. i beat this guy on my raptor drag racing that yfz a few times and the times i didnt beat him i was right there beside him or just barely behind him :eek2: and i only have a pipe no other motor stuff.... not to mention that he has brand new tires that have really good tread and i have turf tamers that have a seasons worth of racing on em and yes they are kinda slick so i wasnt hooking good at all..if i had new tires i would surely get a YFZ off the line and after that those POSs dont have enough power, even though they seeem to have top end, to catch me even on a drag racin spot that is long long long across a field. So as far as im concerned..i have plus 2 a arms ZPS front shocks and ZPS rear shock...any YFZ thats wants some can come get it because they arent at all what they were cracked up to be and im sure its going to be like the raptors when they just came out soon....for sale...for sale...for sale...blown trannny...blown tranny...all over the freakin internet horror stories about yamahas ****ty engineering...in case you havent noticed i hate my raptor and i think yamaha needs to pack it up and concentrate on dirtbikes where they are decent cause there four wheelers are ****....the end peace out yammy luvas :devil: :devil:

3rdtimescharm
11-16-2003, 11:23 PM
dont get me wrong I am not sticking up for them but look at it a 450 and a 660, shouldnt a motor with 660cc beat the 450 by more thana few feet or just barley keep up?????
The Raptor should just go hide in the weeds. 660 and it can hardly get out of its on way.

Evan
11-16-2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by 3rdtimescharm
dont get me wrong I am not sticking up for them but look at it a 450 and a 660, shouldnt a motor with 660cc beat the 450 by more thana few feet or just barley keep up?????
The Raptor should just go hide in the weeds. 660 and it can hardly get out of its on way.

You would think so....but..the raptor is a lower tech motor than the yz motor(SOHC, CV carbs etc) The Horsepower is close, so the deciding factor should be weight, so its a tossup. That being said......I was on a 250, shouldnt the 450 beat me?

seven
11-17-2003, 05:47 AM
I watched a mostly stock 400ex beat a yfz 2 times yesterday! Mostly it was rider but if that yfz was as fast as everybody says I would think that rider error wouldnt matter so much.

FourFiftyFour
11-17-2003, 06:44 AM
cant say ive ridden one yet..... but ive seen the front end come apart and fail.. midair over a 65' table....ended up being a nasty wreck.... and heard from a local yamaha dealer sponsored rider.... that the front end on those quads are squirrely.... Another guy I know has ridden one... and hes about 6'4" also....and he said it just felt way too small...

then again im only 5'6"... i would fit better on it..... but I would have doubts about that front end..... just like cannondales.. yamaha has the makings of a nice quad... they just need to finish it....dont get me wrong.. i love my Dale... but not when i have to drop the motor already after only two months of riding.... a brand new yzf450 should not be falling apart in midair either......

trueblue450
11-17-2003, 09:39 AM
haha just wait till the 450r comes out and see how unruley that power is also.. What hp does your 250 r put out.???? I doubt it is even close to the stock yfz or 450r for that matter. Probably feels slow because the yfz is designed to go fast, you cant tell that you are going that fast on the thing.

Lets not forget how great the 400ex is in the swingarm department and the frame (strenght) department also. You guys gotta realize if you ride any quad hard its gonna break.

XANDADA
11-17-2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by trueblue450
What hp does your 250 r put out.???? I doubt it is even close to the stock yfz or 450r for that matter. Probably feels slow because the yfz is designed to go fast, you cant tell that you are going that fast on the thing.

lmao, excellent :devil:

EvilJester400EX
11-17-2003, 02:49 PM
Not trying to start sh-t or nothing. But, you say the YFZ had new rear tires, I'm guessing 18 inches? If so, was it re-geared, or stock gearing? Re-jetted?

LTandRaptorider
11-17-2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Evan
Well I finally got to find out what all the hullaballoo is about today when i got to ride a YFZ 450(blue) with a GYTR slipon. My impression was i was not impressed. Take into consideration my current ride is a mildy modded 250R setup for MX which runs and handles like a dream. BUT!....Heres my dislikes, and likes(very few) First off, I hop on take off putt around a lil bit to get the feel of it, then I hammer it after a while, WTF? where is all this INSANE POWER everyone is talking about? , it responds quite well when pinned from mid rpm range on up. It doesnt like to be lugged, just like a 2strk, it likes to be revved. I rode a raptor back to back with the yfz and they are quite simliar in power. That was proably what I liked most about the quad:the motor, but still not all that impressive. We did a few drag races, I beat him a few times, he beat me a few times(even though I did miss shifts, I was right there with him, but thats still considered beating me I guess-and Im severely traction challenged(long swingarm, low gearing, worn tires)Hit the brakes, ugh, they go nearly to the handle bar, how comforting is that, sure when they are nearly pinned to the bar they stop pretty good, but they sure are mushy, most single piston brakes i rode felt better than these. Back brakes, ok, no complaints. Clutch smooth worked great. Handling, well its no 250R thats for sure, it was like deja vu from the brand new raptor days, tippy, jittery, etc... at least it didnt have the narrow axle in the back. Tires:worked great hooked well, predicatable. Jumping, didnt jump a whole lot, just about 30ft on a table top, OUCH! man those things are stiff, proably great for huge air jumps, but smaller stuff is harsh. Seat, hard as a brick, the raptors seat in comparison is like comparing your bed to your floor. Leaning..ugh, same as a raptor, how do they expect you to lean with no room to maneuver? Now im kinda tall..6ft 4in, but im small framed, 170pounds,,,but my knees hit the front fenders and my butt hits the rear fenders when i lean, thats very uncomfortable when racing when you need to lean as much as possible especially on this thing. I wont go into other irritating design flaws that are common on the raptor as well as this machine(swingarm adjustment, tierodends etc) If you ask me, they took the raptor, put a better motor in it, got better shocks and brakes and call it TECHNOLOGY! Im amazed people are saying these things are sooo great. BTW-this guy is already having trouble with 5th gear:huh It shouldnt be to hard for honda to beat this. Ill have to ride the 450R and see how I like it, so far Ill still be keeping the ole two fiddy R for a while.

The problem is, you should've ridden a white YFZ!!! :D
All kidding aside, good info here, thank you. I have a Raptor (for sale) and LT250R fairly modded out. I've been thinking of getting rid of both for the YFZ, but would definitely want to ride one before doing so. I'm glad to see someone with a 250 2-stroke give their opinion. The handling of my LT is light years better than the Raptor, so maybe I'll hang on to it (LT) a few more years. I put a lot of money in to it to get it where it is now, I don't want to do that for a new quad. the Raptor is definitely going, it always sits! I've really had no complaints with it, just don't like the feel of it. Keep the ride reports coming! ;)

Evan
11-17-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by EvilJester400EX
Not trying to start sh-t or nothing. But, you say the YFZ had new rear tires, I'm guessing 18 inches? If so, was it re-geared, or stock gearing? Re-jetted?

nup, stock tires, stock gearing, rejetted-ran great no bog etc.....I aint a total dumbass like your parents think i am.....

Evan
11-17-2003, 04:20 PM
haha just wait till the 450r comes out and see how unruley that power is also.. What hp does your 250 r put out.???? I doubt it is even close to the stock yfz or 450r for that matter. Probably feels slow because the yfz is designed to go fast, you cant tell that you are going that fast on the thing.

Lets not forget how great the 400ex is in the swingarm department and the frame (strenght) department also. You guys gotta realize if you ride any quad hard its gonna break.

How much does my R have? I have no idea, its defintely not close to what the yfz has thats for sure....Id say proably around 35-38 if im lucky, but its just as fast as that yfz hmm your logic leads no where

BlkSnShn
11-17-2003, 04:37 PM
I've been pretty doubtfull about how all the YFZ Guys say its so fast stock. IMO I've never been impressed with a stock quad. Now i Love My Raptor, but it took alot of work and cash to get it there and I'm not nearly finished yet. The Suspension needs major work. I have it widened right now the cheap way (wheel spaces Rear and Offset wheel front). I would like to ride the YFZ and the 450r once it comes out. I think it sucks that dealers won't let you test ride a machine before you buy it. I bought my 400 EX new and was told how fast it was "You will smoke banshee's" . Nope I don't think so. but it did handle great.

EvilJester400EX
11-17-2003, 04:41 PM
nup, stock tires, stock gearing, rejetted-ran great no bog etc.....I aint a total dumbass like your parents think i am.....

lol, Just asking a question, that's all.

sparky450AR
11-17-2003, 04:44 PM
good info, id like to ride one

Evan
11-17-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by BlkSnShn
I've been pretty doubtfull about how all the YFZ Guys say its so fast stock. IMO I've never been impressed with a stock quad. Now i Love My Raptor, but it took alot of work and cash to get it there and I'm not nearly finished yet. The Suspension needs major work. I have it widened right now the cheap way (wheel spaces Rear and Offset wheel front). I would like to ride the YFZ and the 450r once it comes out. I think it sucks that dealers won't let you test ride a machine before you buy it. I bought my 400 EX new and was told how fast it was "You will smoke banshee's" . Nope I don't think so. but it did handle great.

Ive been kinda the opposite-usally for me when i ride a new stock quad it feels like it has a lot of power i guess because of the new tires new clutch etc....When I first rode a brand new raptor I couldnt keep the front end down and I thought man this is crazy. But with the yfz it was less than impressive-just felt like another raptor to me ergonomics wise, but it would rev faster than the raptor but just didnt pull as hard.

BlkSnShn
11-17-2003, 05:22 PM
I've allway just been spoiled by being around really fast machines. when I got my raptor it just had the pipe and powerwise going from my 400 to the Rap was pretty good but then I got back on my freinds modded shee's and my sled, that made me very disapointed in the raptor.

Evan
11-17-2003, 05:30 PM
yea that would make sense lol

AlaskaSpeed
11-17-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Ryan8R
Yes i agree totally with you Evan. to let everyone else know, not that you care, i was there and it was my raptor that he rode right after the YFZ. i beat this guy on my raptor drag racing that yfz a few times and the times i didnt beat him i was right there beside him or just barely behind him :eek2: and i only have a pipe no other motor stuff.... not to mention that he has brand new tires that have really good tread and i have turf tamers that have a seasons worth of racing on em and yes they are kinda slick so i wasnt hooking good at all..if i had new tires i would surely get a YFZ off the line and after that those POSs dont have enough power, even though they seeem to have top end, to catch me even on a drag racin spot that is long long long across a field. So as far as im concerned..i have plus 2 a arms ZPS front shocks and ZPS rear shock...any YFZ thats wants some can come get it because they arent at all what they were cracked up to be and im sure its going to be like the raptors when they just came out soon....for sale...for sale...for sale...blown trannny...blown tranny...all over the freakin internet horror stories about yamahas ****ty engineering...in case you havent noticed i hate my raptor and i think yamaha needs to pack it up and concentrate on dirtbikes where they are decent cause there four wheelers are ****....the end peace out yammy luvas :devil: :devil:

Just going by experience of having to put up with these BS reports from you guys....your ride report is nothing CLOSE to what I find with the YFZ...but I own one so I am sure I am just clouded by the brand loyalty....:rolleyes:

Chef
11-17-2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by AlaskaSpeed
Just going by experience of having to put up with these BS reports from you guys....your ride report is nothing CLOSE to what I find with the YFZ...but I own one so I am sure I am just clouded by the brand loyalty....:rolleyes:

Of course Jimbo.:blah:

AtvMxRider
11-17-2003, 06:06 PM
I've seen the yfz on the track but I haven't ridden one and I'm impressed with them. there is not an R out there that can keep up with him.

AlaskaSpeed
11-17-2003, 06:14 PM
Well...maybe Evan and Ryan can give us more Hillbilly test ride reports and we can see what happens when you put 2 boys, their mullets and some rotting 250Rs along the high tech four strokes that are out now.....jealousy soon sets in and we get the infamous "...uhhh...duhhh..rode a YFZ and wasn't impressed....uuhhhh...duhhhh" JIM

Chef
11-17-2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
I've seen the yfz on the track but I haven't ridden one and I'm impressed with them. there is not an R out there that can keep up with him.

No $hit? :rolleyes:

seven
11-17-2003, 06:22 PM
So that means a yfz will smoke one of chefs genesis R???

AlaskaSpeed
11-17-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by seven

Let's not get stupid here.....:rolleyes:

Anyone that dismisses the YFZ as easily as most have in this thread DON'T know shiit about it or have not ridden one. I am not brand loyal, can own any quad I want.....I am performance loyal and the YFZ is for real.

Hell, I don't know why I would even let any of your BS bother me. All you fools did was ***** and moan about the new TRX once it was announced. Complain, complain, complain..........JIM

AtvMxRider
11-17-2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by seven

I am just talking about the R's that come the tracks around here.

seven
11-17-2003, 06:42 PM
Yeah I know, after I seen one run this weekend I wasnt that impressed. They are a great quad I was just expecting more from it. I was working on mine when they were drag racing it and I looked up to A 400ex in the lead.:confused: . They lined up again with the same results. The guy on the yfz was a new rider but I would have thought he would have smoked the 400ex.

Pappy
11-17-2003, 06:46 PM
All you fools did was ***** and moan about the new TRX once it was announced. Complain, complain, complain..........JIM

i think many a string is hangin out in this thread.

should i change the name to:

"only build and ride one quad so we can all be the same and conform to a standard way of living and never have anything diiferent because that would be bad and lead to us being so alike we would eventually merge into one giant blob of human mass and then we couldnt get **** done because have you ever seen a giant blob check out at the grocery store cuz it takes forever and im about out of things to type so ill end this incredibly long run on sentence now"

seven
11-17-2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
i think many a string is hangin out in this thread.

should i change the name to:

"only build and ride one quad so we can all be the same and conform to a standard way of living and never have anything diiferent because that would be bad and lead to us being so alike we would eventually merge into one giant blob of human mass and then we couldnt get **** done because have you ever seen a giant blob check out at the grocery store cuz it takes forever and im about out of things to type so ill end this incredibly long run on sentence now"

Parts would be easier to get then:D

nacs400ex
11-17-2003, 07:04 PM
I guess I set my expectations too high with the YFZ. With all the hoopla I thought they were going to be unbelievable. I was wrong.

From this past season I realized the YFZ wasnt what it was said to be. All the races I went to, all the R's and ex's beat them.

I must say that it is one awesome stock quad though. But when you are paying that much for one, its cheaper to keep what you have, and spend the difference into your quad.

It was a big step for yamaha and now they have an excellent platform for racers of all types.

I more then happy to ride my old R, but the fact is, I have zero problems with the news quads. Obviously other riders, including pro havent either.

Lets leave it at this, you ride your "NEW" technology, and I will ride my 17 year old rotting heap.

nacs400ex
11-17-2003, 07:06 PM
Oh yeah, how exactly is the YFZ designed to go fast?

AlaskaSpeed, I want to hear why YOU like the YFZ. I am just curious.

11-17-2003, 07:41 PM
yah alaska...enlighten us on why it is so good. :)

AlaskaSpeed
11-17-2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by nacs400ex
Oh yeah, how exactly is the YFZ designed to go fast?

AlaskaSpeed, I want to hear why YOU like the YFZ. I am just curious.

I like the YFZ because it is what I was looking for...a "bike" motor in a quad frame.
I like the YFZ because of the power it has....it's the only 4 stroke that was right there with the Cannondale for power that inspires confidence in any situation...I don't have to hope I have enough power to make a double right out of a turn, I just know it will.
I like the YFZ because it actually handles very well....even in stock form.
I like the YFZ because it revs like a 2 stroke, but is the 4 stroke I was looking for.
I like the YFZ because it responds very well to minor mods. Doesn't take much to get gains out of it.
I like the YFZ because I am not some brand loyal groupie. Simply, the quad does everything I need it to do well.

This BS about losing a drag to a 400ex....please....:rolleyes: And I didn't say you had a rotting heap....so chill. Go read the "unbiassed" ride report and you will see why I directed my sarcasm to the 2 "experts".

The funny part is that most racers don't keep a quad stock, and ALL quads have their flaws. In the end, it comes down to the fact that I can't just sit here and read BS like has been posted here....Anyone that isn't impressed with one of the Big 4 coming out with a high performance 4 stroke needs to think about why........JIM

AlaskaSpeed
11-17-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Crazy400exMan
yah alaska...enlighten us on why it is so good. :)

I am going to give you 1/5 stars in the intelligence department..... :rolleyes:

AlaskaSpeed
11-17-2003, 08:11 PM
WEll......at least now that I saw this same thread started by Evan on Bluetraxx, I know he is just looking for attention.....sad, sad, sad.........

AtvMxRider
11-17-2003, 08:16 PM
I am going to give you 1/5 stars in the intelligence department..... :rolleyes:

I wouldn't give him that much credit....:huh

RIDER11X
11-17-2003, 08:18 PM
There has been alot of truth in this thread dispite the bashing. The YFZ in all fairness is a PRODUCTION quad, not custon tailored to everyones needs, much like the 250r was. As was said, almost nobody keeps a quad stock that races or is even a little bit serious about being competitive even if only with a group of riding buddies. So.............there will be shortcomings that need attention.
Take suspension for example, Yamaha and Honda both addressed the complaint with past machines that the shocks are crap and need replaced with better ones right away.............They sell YFZ's with fully adjustable and rebuildable units, and some people are outfitting them with new shocks right away. Cannondale went farther with the idea on the MOTO with a $12,000 price tag, but race ready, didn't sell all that many, and soon the whole division went under.:( Point being, they will never please everyone.
Keep riding what you like and believe is the best till you find something you like better. These companies are stepping up to the plate to give what we want.
The best word I saw used was PLATFORM, because that is what any machine is to a racer, a base from which to build their racer from. Race against any stock 250R's lately?:p

seven
11-17-2003, 08:25 PM
Its not bs about the 400ex beating it! I watched it 2 times. A btter rider would have beat the 400 on the yfz but not by much. And this wasnt a real long drag race either. I just expected it to walk away from the 400 and it didnt. With a better rider on board it would have won, But is the diference really worth 1500$? Also this drag was on a flat road, If it was up a hill then maybe the yfz would ba able to walk away but I dont know.

Ryan8R
11-17-2003, 09:10 PM
All i gotta say is DA#$ cause people get all fired up..Evan has a good point and opinion that i believe cause i was there..you say my raptor should spank it...well then like Evan said..shouldnt the 450 spank the R....and also again lets talk about the almost 100 pound difference between the raptor and yfz...and the yfz has more horsepower...so duh do your homework before you start fussin dude....or else you make yourself out to look very ignorant......peace...Ryan:devil:

Evan
11-17-2003, 09:20 PM
Hey- Jim I will not stoop to your level with name calling etc..I just rode a YFZ and gave my opinion-an unbiased opinion. There was not really much that I liked about it. Ryan was there and he rides blue so your whole brand loyal idea went out the window. Sure the motor has good usable power I never denied that. But my point is, everyone is making it out to be something its not. I want you to show me all this so called technology that went into making this quad. My R is about as simple as it comes and it can still hang with pretty much any quad out there, especially on a local level. Your "likes" for the yfz are all based on rider opinion and preference..basically because you have one and are loyal to what you ride. I rode one and gave my view on what worked and what didnt...the brakes worked but felt really mushy, the seat was hard as a rock as well as the shocks, the power was great but not what I expected, the plastic is a ***** to lean with because my knees hit it, the clutch is great....I could go on...all of these are FACTS my freind, not my opinion or how i feel about the damn thing, cause truely I had high expectations for it before I rode it, not what it really is. If you dont like my review dont read it. But Im sick of everyone raving about it like its the quad that will make all other quads obsolete, when its not.

Ryan8R
11-17-2003, 09:24 PM
call me a post whore...but i have to say it...AMEN!!!!!!

Ryan8R
11-17-2003, 09:34 PM
Alaska speed...yea you...i think you are the brightest man alive...when i grow up i wanna be just like you:blah: thats not stupidity thats ignorance at its best you saying that about trying to get attention. let me ask you this..what were you trying to do when you said that Evan was just trying to get attention..you obviously wanted that attention that he supposedly went out to get and now you got that attention from me..and you can call me a hypocrite if you know what that is for posting about your response earlier in the thread saying that i just want attention...so that could be the case...or it could just be that i cant let ignorant comments go uncommented.....think about it smart guy

hsr
11-17-2003, 10:05 PM
Well...maybe Evan and Ryan can give us more Hillbilly test ride reports and we can see what happens when you put 2 boys, their mullets and some rotting 250Rs along the high tech four strokes that are out now.....jealousy soon sets in and we get the infamous "...uhhh...duhhh..rode a YFZ and wasn't impressed....uuhhhh...duhhhh" JIM

Comparing 18 year old Honda 250r's to brand spanking new four stroke state of the art technology Yamaha yfz450's???

Ryan8R
11-17-2003, 10:29 PM
all i can say is wtf you touchy freakin baby....hillybilly test rides..would you like to come take a hillybilly test ride...you are just mad cause your new "high tech four wheeler" is just a poorly engineered piece just like the freakin raptor...the yfz is a raptor with a better motor in it and lighter...its going to be falling all to **** soon and there will be hundreds of them for sale....and back to ground zero...which is the 250r thats raping the YFZs nuff said

XANDADA
11-18-2003, 07:12 AM
Let's not get stupid here.....:rolleyes: ..........JIM

tooo late :blah:

LTandRaptorider
11-18-2003, 10:42 AM
Ummm... after reading all these, I'm not sure what to do... should I grow a mullet, or not??? :devil:

RIDER11X
11-18-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
Ummm... after reading all these, I'm not sure what to do... should I grow a mullet, or not??? :devil:

If you ride an LT250r or drive an IROC Z w/ T tops.........................You MUST have a mullet!:devil:

raptor_02
11-18-2003, 12:45 PM
all I have to say to you bunch of idiots is go look at something called race results MORONS!!! Kory Ellis took a YFZ with just a pipe , jet kit, and filter to help his power and got a podium against the fastest racers in the world against 20000 Z400's. Lets see your panzy 250r's or craptors do that. Also I believe during that race he was the only person of the hole day to do the masssive stepup at high point due to muddy conditions and it takes power to clear jumps and guess what done it, a YFZ. Also guys like John Natalie, Tavis Cain, Harold Goodman , Kory Ellis all are swithing to that YFZ for some reason. hmmmmmmm wonder why???????? And the best part of all this great news I have provided you idiots is the YFZ's 3rd race ever in history , IT WON!!!!! Also on the same quad in the pro race he competed against mighty 250r's and CRF's and got an impressive 4th place finish on roughly an 11000 dollar quad. Your little panzy 250R would have to have 25000 to be as good as a YFZ with 11000 in it. And for those of you that think the YFZ is weak in the power department I would be willing to put up some cash against any of the guys thats dissing the YFZ's power and we will line elm up and i'll smoke your *****. RACE RESULTS DON'T LIE. Hell how many wins did Kory Ellis have before this year. I think 1 last year, 1 this year in the pro class on the CRF, and one on a YFZ. So Korry isn't really the best rider out there and is still winning on that YFZ. That just shows you how good this quad really is. Kory also give up racing his CRF quad for his YFZ cause he said he feels faster on it. I know you idiots are going to reply oohhhh he is just doing that so yamaha will sponsor him. Well you know you may be right, but the bottom line is he is as fast if not faster on an 11000 dollar quad than he is on a 30000 dollar quad. THAT"S IMPRESSIVE. RACE RESULTS DON"T LIE SO ALL YOU BRAND LOYAL HONDA RIDERS NEED TO GIVE YAMAHA CREDIT. THEY FINALLY MADE A GREAT QUAD. INFACT IT'S THE BEST QUAD EVER BUILT AS OF NOW. BUT THAT'S AT THE MOMENT,I'M SURE HONDA'S WILL BE VERY CLOSE TO AS GOOD AS THE YFZ BUT WE WILL HAVE TO WAIT AND SEE

raptor_02
11-18-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Ryan8R
all i can say is wtf you touchy freakin baby....hillybilly test rides..would you like to come take a hillybilly test ride...you are just mad cause your new "high tech four wheeler" is just a poorly engineered piece just like the freakin raptor...the yfz is a raptor with a better motor in it and lighter...its going to be falling all to **** soon and there will be hundreds of them for sale....and back to ground zero...which is the 250r thats raping the YFZs nuff said :rolleyes: idiot

XANDADA
11-18-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by raptor_02
all I have to say to you bunch of idiots is go look at something called race results MORONS!!!

This moron forgets, what was Ballance riding at Ironman when he got first place? What was Borich riding at St. Claisville when he got the #1? Both those in Oct. 2003. Jeramiah Jones, Travis Cain, Shane Hitt, etc. etc. etc.

peace bro, lets not get angry, breath, hold, exhale....
http://www.rriders.com/trx250r_forum/images/smile2/rasta.gif

raptor_02
11-18-2003, 01:01 PM
Hey- Jim I will not stoop to your level with name calling etc..I just rode a YFZ and gave my opinion-an unbiased opinion. There was not really much that I liked about it. Ryan was there and he rides blue so your whole brand loyal idea went out the window. Sure the motor has good usable power I never denied that. But my point is, everyone is making it out to be something its not. I want you to show me all this so called technology that went into making this quad. My R is about as simple as it comes and it can still hang with pretty much any quad out there, especially on a local level. Your "likes" for the yfz are all based on rider opinion and preference..basically because you have one and are loyal to what you ride. I rode one and gave my view on what worked and what didnt...the brakes worked but felt really mushy, the seat was hard as a rock as well as the shocks, the power was great but not what I expected, the plastic is a ***** to lean with because my knees hit it, the clutch is great....I could go on...all of these are FACTS my freind, not my opinion or how i feel about the damn thing, cause truely I had high expectations for it before I rode it, not what it really is. If you dont like my review dont read it. But Im sick of everyone raving about it like its the quad that will make all other quads obsolete, when its not. first off i want to start out by saying your an idiot as well. This is a race machine buddy that has a seat that is designed to be able to move around on. Hell good riders stand more than they sit anyways. I can also tell from your post that your scared of big air. Those shocks ride rough on trails for a reason, yamaha wanted us racers that actually have a little skill to be able to get actual use out of the shocks when we grab big air. Then you'll find that there really not all that stiff. Then the rest of the crap your whining about is stupid. Plastics :rolleyes: And about the power, I would be willing to lay down some serious cash says your my YFZ would smoke your R in a drag race on pavement or dirt ( it doesn't matter ). Now this is if yours truly is a 250 or 265. I don't give a **** what other engine mods you have as long as it isn't nos or some kind of turbo kit. But all people thinking about buying a YFZ, buy one. Listen to ALASKA, he seems to be one of the smarter guys on here and he will give you facts. Not BS like a 400ex out running a YFZ. LMFAO :D

raptor_02
11-18-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by XANDADA
This moron forgets, what was Ballance riding at Ironman when he got first place? What was Borich riding at St. Claisville when he got the #1? Both those in Oct. 2003. Jeramiah Jones, Travis Cain, Shane Hitt, etc. etc. etc.

peace bro, lets not get angry, breath, hold, exhale....
http://www.rriders.com/trx250r_forum/images/smile2/rasta.gif noone getting angry here bub, lets compare prices of Jeremiah's MX QUAD vs Kory's MX QUAD. HMMMMMMMMMMMM what about that huh. I get what you 250r guys are saying now. With 20000 bucks you can make your quad better than my YFZ. HAHAHAHHAA I'll take 10 grand, have a better quad and buy me a Tacoma

RIDER11X
11-18-2003, 01:57 PM
all I have to say to you bunch of idiots is go look at something called race results MORONS!!! Kory Ellis took a YFZ with just a pipe , jet kit, and filter to help his power and got a podium against the fastest racers in the world against 20000 Z400's.

I agree with alot of your points, but one minor correction........He had aftermarket suspension, Aarms, axle, and wheels on it too. I was there.
http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/rider11x/web%20pics%202/Kory%20YFZ%202.jpg
http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/rider11x/web+pics+2/kory+yfz.jpg ;)

nacs400ex
11-18-2003, 02:00 PM
Well if you think your stock YFZ is king *****, why dont you make a trip and race chefs 250R, its bone stock;)

You need to realize your stock YFZ wont beat anything out there.

If you want to talk dollars and cents, well then. Like I said before the YFZ is a great PLATFORM QUAD. But if you are going to mod the hell out of it, like any racer would. Its cheaper to go with a OLDER machine. Which can perform exactly the same, if not better.

For the amount of money you paid for your YFZ, you cannot make your YFZ handle better then an R for the same price PERIOD. I am happy that I will only have $6000 CDN into my R with it RACE READY. Can you do that with your YFZ? NO.

RIDER11X
11-18-2003, 02:10 PM
Well if you think your stock YFZ is king *****, why dont you make a trip and race chefs 250R, its bone stock;)

You need to realize your stock YFZ wont beat anything out there.

If you want to talk dollars and cents, well then. Like I said before the YFZ is a great PLATFORM QUAD. But if you are going to mod the hell out of it, like any racer would. Its cheaper to go with a OLDER machine. Which can perform exactly the same, if not better.

For the amount of money you paid for your YFZ, you cannot make your YFZ handle better then an R for the same price PERIOD. I am happy that I will only have $6000 CDN into my R with it RACE READY. Can you do that with your YFZ? NO.

Rider still plays a huge part in any of this. But, I disagree with the money aspect. Most, if not all competitve (Pro and A&B class) R's are nearly $15-20 thousand dollar machines, at least.
Here's a typical, yet nice A class machine at a local district 5 race.

http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/rider11x/web%20pics%202/mm.jpg

seven
11-18-2003, 03:35 PM
Dont disagree with the raptor guy or he will call you a idiot!! And if you really make him mad he will call you a moron!!! So just nod and say RIGHT

nacs400ex
11-18-2003, 03:45 PM
Seems pretty funny to me. I am building my R, and when I am done most of the things wil be aftermarket, except frame:( I only have approx $5000 US going into it(including the price of the R), thats with long tavel too, and LRD motor. So I dont really understand where your coming from. To me the 250r is the best platform to start with because you can easily change it to a 4-stroke just by changing the frame and motor. It all boils down to personal preference and thats the way it will always be.

Even if it cost me more to mod out the R then the YFZ, thats great. People do the exact same thing with cars. Why? Because we can.

Evan
11-18-2003, 04:23 PM
first off i want to start out by saying your an idiot as well. This is a race machine buddy that has a seat that is designed to be able to move around on. Hell good riders stand more than they sit anyways. I can also tell from your post that your scared of big air. Those shocks ride rough on trails for a reason, yamaha wanted us racers that actually have a little skill to be able to get actual use out of the shocks when we grab big air. Then you'll find that there really not all that stiff. Then the rest of the crap your whining about is stupid. Plastics :rolleyes: And about the power, I would be willing to lay down some serious cash says your my YFZ would smoke your R in a drag race on pavement or dirt ( it doesn't matter ). Now this is if yours truly is a 250 or 265. I don't give a **** what other engine mods you have as long as it isn't nos or some kind of turbo kit. But all people thinking about buying a YFZ, buy one. Listen to ALASKA, he seems to be one of the smarter guys on here and he will give you facts. Not BS like a 400ex out running a YFZ. LMFAO :D

Hey-your intelligence is showing...and it shows you have very little. Ill drag race you, if you will race me on a MX track:D

Your making to many exscuses for the yfz, none of them even hold water. Scared of big air....phssh shows how much you know, I didnt jump 65-70ft on it because its not mine.

Ive raced fully moddified yz426 hybrid quads on the track with my R and am fully capable of hanging with them, they usally get me by a bike length on the holeshot, but I am geared too low, and traction challenged because of a longer swingarm and worn tires.
It doesnt take much money to make an R competitive with these machines on a local level. I have around 6-8 thousand in my R-including the price of the quad, and they have around 15grand in theirs, yet Im still right there with them.

And...dont think the quad is going to make up for your lack of riding ability cuz it wont.

11-18-2003, 05:18 PM
http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/rant2.gif

Ryan8R
11-18-2003, 09:24 PM
raptor 02....ill just say i will take in account that you own a raptor and that maybe you are having problems with it that are causing you to PMS but dude....stop callin me an idiot...whats that doing for you. how many times can you say idiot...i would tell you what i think you are but i might get banned and i dont really care to do that....peace

RIDER11X
11-18-2003, 11:40 PM
http://www.ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/argue.gif

:rolleyes: Wow!:rolleyes:

Guy400
11-19-2003, 05:12 AM

trueblue450
11-19-2003, 09:41 AM
Seems pretty funny to me. I am building my R, and when I am done most of the things wil be aftermarket, except frame:( I only have approx $5000 US going into it(including the price of the R), thats with long tavel too, and LRD motor. So I dont really understand where your coming from. To me the 250r is the best platform to start with because you can easily change it to a 4-stroke just by changing the frame and motor. It all boils down to personal preference and thats the way it will always be.

Even if it cost me more to mod out the R then the YFZ, thats great. People do the exact same thing with cars. Why? Because we can.

WOW NEAT SIGNATURE..

Lets see how strong your 17 year old quad is. What are you gonna do when you blow the motor up and the frame cracks in half?

All im saying is that the yamaha and probably honda will be the best new generation racers.. just get over the whole 250r thing.

nacs400ex
11-19-2003, 06:37 PM
WOW NEAT SIGNATURE..
Lets see how strong your 17 year old quad is. What are you gonna do when you blow the motor up and the frame cracks in half?

All im saying is that the yamaha and probably honda will be the best new generation racers.. just get over the whole 250r thing.

:p I think you're just jealous.

Pappy
11-19-2003, 06:45 PM
well enough internet chicken chest in this thread.:macho

yall go hook up at a track and PROVE to each other which one is best. i cant believe all the BS over a quad that the majority of the people posting here havent even thrown a leg over