PDA

View Full Version : Any street legal riders out there?

legaleagle
11-16-2003, 09:50 PM
Here is a pic of my street legal Raptor... http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid87/pc30fbf5590c622557cd77a0b4f1b5ce9/faa48551.jpg

kamikaze_rzrbak
11-16-2003, 11:02 PM
^^^you stole that pic from streetlegalatv.com:rolleyes:

ewalker302
11-16-2003, 11:20 PM
Are you Terry Jones of Castro Valley by any chance??

That bike is on page 10 in the Oct issue of Dirt Wheels.

:bandit:

11-17-2003, 05:25 AM
yah...i saw that bike in dirtwheels. :p :eek:

BlasterRider200
11-17-2003, 07:56 AM
saw it in dirtwheels

remlapr
11-17-2003, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by kamikaze_rzrbak
^^^you stole that pic from streetlegalatv.com:rolleyes:

That bike is located in Cali, and this guys is from Cali so maybe he is the guy that built it, or now owns it - ever think of that?

legaleagle
11-17-2003, 08:44 AM
I'm the guy that built and owns this Raptor, the same one from Dirtwheels. I didn't steal it, but I do pay for full coverage on it in the event someone does steal it... I heard about this forum on T.V. (Fisher ATV).:)

MOFO
11-17-2003, 08:57 AM
Why do they make you convert it to a reversed trike to be street legal? Is it because with a normal axle and 2 rear wheels, it acts like a regular car with the rear axle locked and does not go around turns smooth?

Natertot426ex
11-17-2003, 09:14 AM
Just like to welcome you to the Site.!!!!:D

legaleagle
11-17-2003, 09:20 AM
There isn't an easy answer to your question MOFO, so I'll tell you what I think, and some of what I know. There are three states that are progressive and responsive enough to their constituents that they have specific laws regarding ATV's and how to legally operate them on the roadways. They are Arizona, Wyoming and Idaho, there may be more but these are some that I know about. Other states either make no mention of ATV's in their statutes, or are very specific about ATV's not being operated on public roads.

Most states also list in their statutes the definition of a motorcycle as being three wheel or less in contact with the ground, having a saddle type seat (or something along those lines). Some states also require a differential for three wheeled vehicles if they are to operated on the roadways, which is why the reverse configuration works well (nothing to differentiate between). Add that with the greater stability of a "reverse" configuration, and you can see why this platform makes sense...

In California, I've been told by the C.A.R.B. that there is pressure from the larger motorcycle manufacturers to do whatever possible to prohibit their off-road vehicles from being licensed for street use. This is one reason why the recent "green" sticker ruling was handed down to the Dept. of Motor Vehicles, even though there are no smog requirements for motorcycles, other than for manufacturers of those vehicles.

Sorry for the long reply, but like I said, there isn't an easy answer to your question...:D

jtej
11-17-2003, 10:12 AM
a few general questions
-is this a kit you can buy or was is a one off thing?
-how does it handle on the streets?
-did you do anything else to the bike to make it better on the road?
-are those 5 lug wheels on the front?
-what type of tires do you run?

This idea has me very intreged. I love riding street bikes and love riding quads so it would be the best of both worlds.

MOFO
11-17-2003, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the detailed reply... BTW, welcome to the site!

remlapr
11-17-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by jtej
a few general questions
-is this a kit you can buy or was is a one off thing?
-how does it handle on the streets?
-did you do anything else to the bike to make it better on the road?
-are those 5 lug wheels on the front?
-what type of tires do you run?

This idea has me very intreged. I love riding street bikes and love riding quads so it would be the best of both worlds.

You can forget this - Kentucky is all over ATV's being on the roads because of all the people that have got killed in the last several months. They are even talking about revoking the law that let's people cross roads to get from one piece of their property to another :rolleyes:

legaleagle
11-17-2003, 11:51 AM
jtej, I'll try to answer your questions, let me know if I miss anything.

My Raptor is a one off, but I have invested in tooling for production if I decide there is a business. The first swing arm from that tooling should be installed on my Raptor by the end of next week, if all goes well.

It handles like a tighter turning Raptor. I have a torsion bar (gotta have), Denton stabilizer and CRJ front lowering kit to help on the street.

All wheels are 5 lug, with 14" super swamper tires. I use motortech wheel adapters in the front, and I made the rear hub with that pattern.

This set-up works well for the street/freeway, but was done this way to allow dual-sport type activity. I have recently purchased a set of street tires, and will let you know of any improvements they offer if you are interested.

remlapr - What I have done is convert my ATV to a motorcycle, although it can be converted back quickly. If Kentucky were not to recognize it as such, how will they handle trikes in general? I'll take a look at the Kentuck statutes and let you know what I find.

400grl
11-17-2003, 02:00 PM
I know I can ride my Banshee on the city streets with just rear view mirrors and a horn - and of course insurance, etc. I just need to get it registered for street use. The way the AZ law is set up, it's pretty easy to have a street legal ATV, but what happens is each city has their own laws as well. I had to call all the cities around me and ask them about it. Turns out Chandler and Tempe will allow quads on the streets with proper equipment (listed above)....Gilbert, Scottsdale and Mesa said they would ticket me in a heartbeat. The DPS also says NO to ATV's on the freeways.....not that i would want to be on the freeway out here on a quad anyway - people are nuts!

But this is really cool - it won't take much to get my quad street legal, so I am going to do it and maybe just try a few short trips.....

How do you lock it up if you go in a store somewhere??

11-17-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by 400grl
I know I can ride my Banshee on the city streets with just rear view mirrors and a horn - and of course insurance, etc. I just need to get it registered for street use. The way the AZ law is set up, it's pretty easy to have a street legal ATV, but what happens is each city has their own laws as well. I had to call all the cities around me and ask them about it. Turns out Chandler and Tempe will allow quads on the streets with proper equipment (listed above)....Gilbert, Scottsdale and Mesa said they would ticket me in a heartbeat. The DPS also says NO to ATV's on the freeways.....not that i would want to be on the freeway out here on a quad anyway - people are nuts!

But this is really cool - it won't take much to get my quad street legal, so I am going to do it and maybe just try a few short trips.....

How do you lock it up if you go in a store somewhere??

If a hot momma like yourself goes parading around town on a quad I see a large increase in accidents in your area of town...:eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

400grl
11-17-2003, 02:57 PM
:devil:

Live2Ride300
11-17-2003, 07:23 PM
I would do anything to hop on my R and ride to school, and park it in the parking lot with a car alarm on it, thats something I daydream about while trying not to doze off in class:devil:

kamikaze_rzrbak
11-17-2003, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by legaleagle
I'm the guy that built and owns this Raptor, the same one from Dirtwheels. I didn't steal it, but I do pay for full coverage on it in the event someone does steal it... I heard about this forum on T.V. (Fisher ATV).:)
im sorry i jumped the gun and called you a fraud, ive been dreaming about a street legal quad for some time and im proud to meet you, Do you know anything about this idea in Oregon?

legaleagle
11-18-2003, 11:18 AM
Hey 400grl, I lock it up with full insurance coverage...:D

I ride my Raptor on the freeway in the busy S.F. bay area often, without a problem but I agree it's not the safest place to be... Good luck with your street conversion, post pics from the places you go with it for all of us to see!:)

I'll check the Oregon statutes when I get a chance...

legaleagle
11-18-2003, 05:38 PM
Hey all you riders in Kentucky, I found the info regarding ATV legality. It's too big to post here, check these links

http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/krs/189%2D00/515.pdf
http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/krs/189%2D00/860.pdf
http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/krs/189%2D00/120.pdf
http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/krs/186a00/072.pdf
http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/krs/189%2D00/285.pdf

Basically, Ky doesn't want an ATV to be street legal. But the definition of a motorcycle is clear, and as long as you comply with the motorcycle regulations you should be able to register for the street. This is the route I took here in California, but don't consider me to be a legal advisor. Use this information to check with local officials and open dialog with them.

If you want the printed version of the links above let me know.