PDA

View Full Version : I want a faster quad need ideas ??

dannyboy20
11-16-2003, 09:47 PM
What else can i do to make my 400 faster.

Toadz400
11-16-2003, 09:55 PM
big bore kit...port and polish...high comp piston...nos :blah:

dannyboy20
11-16-2003, 10:02 PM
what about gearing ???

hondarider2006
11-16-2003, 11:26 PM
Go down larger hills....:blah:

a 14t front sprockt just made you lose about 5 mph. And what size are your rear tires? you will gain some more speed with 22" rears. Also on your wb, try 18 disks, the more disks, the more top end. Theres not a whole lot left, but if you go with a 440, you can run a 16t font sprockt, but I'm not sure about the rear.

Steve-o 400EX
11-17-2003, 08:37 AM
A somewhat affordable way to get a quicker quad is a 416 kit. I got one and I highly recommend it. It gave me a pretty diecent power increase. Get a cam, bore and a little more compression, take the gearing back to stock and run the e-series strait pipe and u'll be lovin life. PM me for more 416 info.;)

wilkin250r
11-17-2003, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by dannyboy20
what about gearing ???

Gearing is a trade-off. You can't "create" power with gearing, all you do is shift it.

If you want to be able to jump right off the line, and wheelie really easy, then you get a smaller gear up front and/or a larger gear in back. This will give you better acceleration, but less top-end speed. You'll hit your rev limiter very quickly.

If you want the maximum speed, go with taller gearing, larger in front and/or smaller in the rear. This will make you quad have a faster top-speed, but you lose lots of acceleration. You can't wheelie as easily, and those hills you used to climb in 3rd, now you may have to shift down to 2nd gear to climb.

Cody_300ex
11-17-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Gearing is a trade-off. You can't "create" power with gearing, all you do is shift it.

If you want to be able to jump right off the line, and wheelie really easy, then you get a smaller gear up front and/or a larger gear in back. This will give you better acceleration, but less top-end speed. You'll hit your rev limiter very quickly.

If you want the maximum speed, go with taller gearing, larger in front and/or smaller in the rear. This will make you quad have a faster top-speed, but you lose lots of acceleration. You can't wheelie as easily, and those hills you used to climb in 3rd, now you may have to shift down to 2nd gear to climb.

He's 110% correct.

dannyboy20
11-17-2003, 04:48 PM
the 14 was only on for 2 weeks when i had the stock pipe. I hated in the open but good on trails. Ok if i go with more disks i wil have to go bigger main jet ???? Im running a 155 now

Narly R
11-17-2003, 06:41 PM

YA, a Big bore kit/pipe/carb and things is what you want. Im not an ex person though...:ermm:

11-18-2003, 04:10 PM
well this is what i want to do to mine: 416 kit about 11:1 comp. stage 2 hot cam, port and polish(polish only on the exaughst valves) yoshi pipe, k&n filter, and to top it all off im lookin at a new carb

hondarider2006
11-18-2003, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by member
well this is what i want to do to mine: 416 kit about 11:1 comp. stage 2 hot cam, port and polish(polish only on the exaughst valves) yoshi pipe, k&n filter, and to top it all off im lookin at a new carb

sounds good to me! I was thinkin about going with a 416 and a stage 2 hot cam also....but money is a big hold back for me:(

wilkin250r
11-18-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by member

I don't have any actual experience, but I've heard of people not liking the stage 2 cam all that much. It makes great top-end power, but less low-end power, so you have to constantly keep the rpms up, which can be an inconvenience in woods or tight trails.

I'm not saying that the Stage 2 is all wrong, I'm saying don't just jump into a "race" cam, you need to really analyze your needs. Are you constantly running at high rpms?

Chanman420q
11-18-2003, 07:08 PM
get a rev box, 22'' tires and 16/36 gearing, its gunna take u hella long to get to the top end but when ur there ur gunna be going damn fast

11-18-2003, 07:42 PM
maybe im mistaken but does the high comp. make up some of the bottom end lost over the cam?

Dave400ex
11-18-2003, 08:19 PM
YFZ450! j/k

I agree with the other guys. Look at getting a 416 kit with a Piston, Cam, Port/Polish, Valve Job, and may be a Carb!

Steve-o 400EX
11-23-2003, 11:24 AM
I don't have any actual experience, but I've heard of people not liking the stage 2 cam all that much. It makes great top-end power, but less low-end power, so you have to constantly keep the rpms up, which can be an inconvenience in woods or tight trails.

I'm not saying that the Stage 2 is all wrong, I'm saying don't just jump into a "race" cam, you need to really analyze your needs. Are you constantly running at high rpms?

Actually this is not true. I have the stage 2 and my bottom end is still killer. It fits my riding style perfect. Like you said though, you dont want a race cam if ur just gunna puts around. If you like power and ride hard then go with the stage 2.;)