PDA

View Full Version : Jumping Issue

DaveEX7
11-16-2003, 08:51 PM
Whenever my quads nose gets up a lil, I tap the brakes, but it doesnt seem to wanna work. Like it doesnt pitch foreward at all.

Any solutions?

Black400
11-16-2003, 09:21 PM
how fast are you hitting the jump?

BlasterRider200
11-17-2003, 07:59 AM
maybe you need new back brakes cause i have the same problem and that caused me to wreck

ReconRider25
11-17-2003, 04:30 PM
push down on the handlebars....thats what i do

Black400
11-17-2003, 05:11 PM
Its probably not his brakes because he would of noticed that on the ground. See if you hit a jump going 10 mph hitting the brakes isnt going to work very good, the faster you hit it the better hitting the brakes will work.

TotalImmortal
11-17-2003, 05:50 PM
ya u cant really notice it until about 3rd gear jumps...

seven
11-17-2003, 06:24 PM
Be sure you are pulling in the clutch!

DaveEX7
11-17-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by seven
Be sure you are pulling in the clutch!

I dont have a clutch;)

My brakes are fine, I just got new ones.

I hit this jump in 4th gear half open.

I think Il try doing what Dana Creech does.... he sits down and hits the brakes and that takes the nose rite down for him.

TotalImmortal
11-17-2003, 09:33 PM
Lesson 1: dont try what the pros are doing!!:p

Narly R
11-17-2003, 09:52 PM
what kind of bike are you ridding?

norrisboat
11-18-2003, 08:57 AM
DONT Have a clutch. What are you trying to jump? A honda rubicon?

YLW400
11-18-2003, 09:00 AM
You have to be airing out some stuff for that to work, but even weight shifting to the front of the quad, and body positioning prior to the take off will help you fly a little more flat....

kxrider
11-18-2003, 11:07 AM
here is what you do, you jump you have to have quite a bit of air for it to work cuz it takes time , either hit the brake and push the bars down, or just let loose on the bars like your gion to let go they will drop, thats wat i do its alot easier than hittin the brake

4TraxRider
11-18-2003, 11:14 AM
Make sure your loose on the bike to. I was teaching my friend to brake tap and every time he did it he'd pull up on the bars at the same time and it would negate the effect of tapping the brakes. I just kinda throw my body forward and tap the brakes at the same time.

DaveEX7
11-18-2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by norrisboat
DONT Have a clutch. What are you trying to jump? A honda rubicon?

Look at my signature..... do you honestly think they make those kinda parts for a Rubicon?

I ride a 250ex... its what I race with and if I can get a better landing, I would do better in the races. And since the quad is only 330 pounds, it should be easy to screw around in the air with.

The reason I said I was going to try what Dana does was when ever he did it, the nose of his quad shot rite down.

Any other suggestions?

DaveEX7
11-18-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by TotalImmortal
ya u cant really notice it until about 3rd gear jumps...

The jump I'm hittin is a small 40 foot double, I usually land on the rear wheels first which causes my shocks to bottom cause I cant land evenly... Im hitting the jump in 4th gear half open too and I still dont notice anything.

norrisboat
11-18-2003, 02:02 PM
I would rather jump a rubicon than a little 250ex.

kxrider
11-18-2003, 02:03 PM
let looose on the bars

let loose on the bars.

let loose on the bars

thats all it takes you dont even gota hit the brake that much, your obviouly reall tight in the air loosen up

kxrider
11-18-2003, 02:07 PM
norris i havent ridin my 250ex, and a long time, but i guarentee you i can do stuff on it you wouldnt believe, you ever seen a 250ex, go off a 5ft freestyle kiker

DaveEX7
11-18-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by norrisboat
I would rather jump a rubicon than a little 250ex.

Think you're funny dissing a 250ex?

Just because its not as fast as your 465exs, 505exs doesnt mean it sucks. Ive put 3 grand into mine and its better then 95% of the 250ex's out there.

Dont belive me? Im makin a video this winter and you can watch this "little 250ex" pull some ***** you didnt think was possible on them.

nacs400ex
11-18-2003, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by DaveEX7
Think you're funny dissing a 250ex?

Just because its not as fast as your 465exs, 505exs doesnt mean it sucks. Ive put 3 grand into mine and its better then 95% of the 250ex's out there.

Dont belive me? Im makin a video this winter and you can watch this "little 250ex" pull some ***** you didnt think was possible on them.

Well you could have put that $3000 into a quad that is better suited for your style.

DaveEX7
11-18-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by nacs400ex
Well you could have put that $3000 into a quad that is better suited for your style.

Yes, thats what I should have done..... but Im going to be driving this year... a car is more important.

When I come into more money, Il get a bigger quad so I can pursure my racing career.

TotalImmortal
11-18-2003, 04:16 PM
i wanna see the vid:)

DaveEX7
11-18-2003, 04:20 PM
i wanna see the vid:)

You will... Im sending it to Harlen to put on here as soon as its done.

11-18-2003, 08:03 PM
Lesson 1: dont try what the pros are doing!!:p

Lesson 2: dont try what the pros are doing.....on a shaft drive!!!

youre 250ex is faster than most of the 250exs out there, whats that saying????? and if your persuing your racing career quad comes first, then car.

11-18-2003, 08:05 PM
but im sorry, i know you didnt post this to get bashed, so ill say i guess your just not going fast enough for a noticable pitch. 4th gear on a 250ex is like maybe 2nd on an R.

trueblue450
11-19-2003, 05:24 PM
It can be done i just pull in my front brake cuz im too lazy to pulll the clutch in.. I could do it on my 300 in 4th and the 250 is geared pretty much the same.. but just try diff things..

DaveEX7
11-19-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Atkins450
but im sorry, i know you didnt post this to get bashed, so ill say i guess your just not going fast enough for a noticable pitch. 4th gear on a 250ex is like maybe 2nd on an R.

Ya I hadda feeling I was going to get bashed when I mentioned a 250ex, and persuing a racing career with it; but I win most of the time in the 350 and under class cause most of the riders aren't that experienced.

Ya I wish I hadda R about now. But as people said before I could saved my 3 grand I put into the 250 on a newer quad; perhaps even the new Honda.

sam the brave
11-19-2003, 06:46 PM
try sitting closer to the handle bars or stand up and lean ovre the handle bars thats what worked fro me on my friends boyou 220

Bretmd94
11-19-2003, 06:48 PM
Forget a car. This is the first time my truck is worth more than my bike ever. But when i get my 450R it will be worth more than my POS truck.

Bikes go first. :macho

DaveEX7
11-19-2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by sam the brave
try sitting closer to the handle bars or stand up and lean ovre the handle bars thats what worked fro me on my friends boyou 220

Ya that was my next plan; try and lean forward.

Suppose I do lean forward, will the nose keep goin down until I hit the gas, or will it stop goin down once I stop leanin.

YamaWarr0121
11-19-2003, 07:42 PM
just go uot and try it, bottoming doesnt hurt that bad, ( trust me i raced mx on a warrior with stock shocks for a year and a half)

go in the air, lean forward, you'll see a slight decrese of nose upness:confused:

push down on the arms, and basically huck the quad up and like around until it lands facing downwards. Ive jumped 250ex's, they arent the easiest quads to move around on, but they have the wieight going for them.

Just try out different things, lean forward, tap the rear brakes ( harder and longer you push, the more it goes forward)

before you know it, you'll be launchin some big **** and hurting yourself and quad until it doesnt run anymore! well thats what i did anyway:macho

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid89/p763160a0cbffbb85b30d8e3d903a1b12/fa8b2f3c.jpg

Nausty
11-19-2003, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by DaveEX7
I dont have a clutch;)

My brakes are fine, I just got new ones.

I hit this jump in 4th gear half open.

I think Il try doing what Dana Creech does.... he sits down and hits the brakes and that takes the nose rite down for him.

A lot of the time when you see people going strait up on the face and then the nose pivoting down a ton the brakes are only a small part of it. So much of it is all in body positioning and how you set ur self up on the take off. You should know whats gonna happen before it does it. For instance you got a steep take off so as your leaving the face your almost trying to preload w/ your body leaning forward so the rear end can preload more and the front can preload less causing the rear end to jump up higher than the front.

EX-SOTO
11-19-2003, 09:16 PM
I have seen a lot of the videos on this site and I noticed that most guys are landing on the rear wheels rather than on all four wheels at the same time. Which is better?

RIDER11X
11-19-2003, 10:37 PM
Ok.........how many of you normally pull in the clutch while in the air? Just curious on this.

I never do, and on a long Ski type jump (Downhill) I make like the old BMX days and try to pull up with my ankles and push down with the bars with great results. Also, throttle at the take off has a big effect, if the throttle is chopped too soon, you won't have any need to lower the nose because it will most likely be too low already.:eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

DaveEX7
11-20-2003, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by EX-SOTO
I have seen a lot of the videos on this site and I noticed that most guys are landing on the rear wheels rather than on all four wheels at the same time. Which is better?

I would think all 4 wheels would be better for a softer landing.
Thats why I made this thread, to try and land on all 4 wheels.

Nausty
11-20-2003, 05:48 PM
rear tires first on the gas, makes the landings softer and puts you in more control imo as weird as it may sound.

DaveEX7
11-20-2003, 08:14 PM
The reason Im trying to land on four wheels is because a few times Ive landed on the back wheels and bottomed so hard that I wheelied after I wacked on the gas.

That was with stock suspension, Im trying not to do that with my new Works.

Nausty
11-20-2003, 08:46 PM
are you landing pretty hard on the gas to begin w/ or after you land?

DaveEX7
11-20-2003, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Nausty
are you landing pretty hard on the gas to begin w/ or after you land?

Right when I land.

Nausty
11-20-2003, 08:59 PM
imo I think thats to late. But if your front shocks are valved a lot stiffer than your rears it might be worth. I just know from experience your better off landing on your rear cuz its so much more forgiving than landing on your fronts. As in how hard the landing is and how quick it can throw off a lot easier.

EX-SOTO
11-21-2003, 07:35 AM
Nausty - so true!

DaveEX7
11-21-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Nausty
imo I think thats to late. But if your front shocks are valved a lot stiffer than your rears it might be worth. I just know from experience your better off landing on your rear cuz its so much more forgiving than landing on your fronts. As in how hard the landing is and how quick it can throw off a lot easier.

My fronts are harder then my rear.

I will buy +2 a-arms, and a Works Quad star rear shock in the near future.

KandK952
11-24-2003, 04:04 PM
Just cause your fronts are "harder" than your rear doesn't mean they are valved different... but it could. I used to land on my rear wheels first and slap down with the front end a lot... until I learned how to compensate for it. As many others have said, dont become stiff, that is the worst thing because then you wont bring the front end down... stay loose, lean forward and if you are really nose high lean far enough forward to have your face over the bumper, hit the rear brakes and if that doesnt work for you... im not sure what will.

landind rear wheels first can sometimes be softer than landing front wheels first, or all 4 at the same time. If it is a really steep landing, I would say front wheels first or all 4, if it is a short landing that you can get all 4 wheels on try landing front wheels first, and if it is a hard landing or flat... usually rear wheels a little before the front is the softest way.

optikid123
11-24-2003, 05:57 PM
let off the gas totally right when your about to go into the air that should drop your nose:devil: