PDA

View Full Version : Remove Gold From Old Style Rims?

JOEX
11-16-2003, 08:51 PM
Can this be done relatively easy? Will a paint stripper work or would I need something stronger? I suppose sandblasting would do it but i'd rather not go that route.

Joe

03400EX_Nacs
11-16-2003, 09:15 PM
how much is on there and how worn is it?

ewalker302
11-16-2003, 10:49 PM
Are you talking about some gold 250r rims???

If they are in relativley good shape you could prob sell em on ebay for more than new rims cost.

I know that Honda charges a buttload for the gold rims.

If they are the factory rims, I dont think you can remove the gold without a good bit of work.

:bandit:

danney f
11-17-2003, 01:49 AM
Your talking about the gold anodized rims that came stock on the earlier hondas?
I have tried sandblasting, takes a good while and is not a good choice if you are planing on polishing them afterwards. What you need is an anodize stripper. www.caswellplating.com sell it and works rather well.
Here is a short cut to it.
http://www.caswellplating.com/supplies/index.html

JOEX
11-17-2003, 04:10 AM
I have a pair of old 250r rear rims that I picked here awhile ago for real cheap. Non-rolled edge, they are a little banged up but not bad. I was thinking of stripping them having rings welded in.

There is a complete set of rolled edge rims on ebay right now at a low price I was thinking of bidding on. Not that I need them:p

Thanks for the info:)

Joe

AtvMxRider
11-17-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
I have a pair of old 250r rear rims that I picked here awhile ago for real cheap. Non-rolled edge, they are a little banged up but not bad. I was thinking of stripping them having rings welded in.

There is a complete set of rolled edge rims on ebay right now at a low price I was thinking of bidding on. Not that I need them:p

Thanks for the info:)

Joe

Joe I have a set of gold rim's I am fixing to strip myself. I have been told that you can use aircraft stripper and it will take it right off.

JOEX
11-17-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
Joe I have a set of gold rim's I am fixing to strip myself. I have been told that you can use aircraft stripper and it will take it right off.
Let me know how it goes, i'll let you be the guinie pig:p

Joe

Smokin 440
11-17-2003, 07:52 PM
Your killing gold rims:( why would you? jw bc there are alot of ppl that constantly look for the goldies, i have some on my ice tires and i had some ungodly offers for them jw why u wanna kill em

JOEX
11-17-2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Smokin 440
Your killing gold rims:( why would you? jw bc there are alot of ppl that constantly look for the goldies, i have some on my ice tires and i had some ungodly offers for them jw why u wanna kill em
The ones I have are the non-rolled edge and are a little banged up so I don't think they are very desirable. But if someone wants to buy them I might let them go;) :D How much are they going for?

Joe

Mikenar
11-18-2003, 03:15 AM
Belive it or not, oven cleaner strips anodizing pretty easily, used to do it all the time in the early 90's when everyone and thier mother anodized BMX parts... not sure if it makes the metal weaker or anything though... oh yeah, if i remember right, it turns it black, and then you have to do alot of polishing hehe..