PDA

View Full Version : what is the best gearing for 100 yard drags???

660r2a400ex
11-16-2003, 08:31 PM
whats the best gearing for me, I want my bike to be faster in 100 yards?!? my bikes all stock

bradley300
11-16-2003, 08:52 PM
the rule of thumb for drag race gearing is this- you want to rev out your top gear at the same second you cross the finish line.

if your gearing is to high, you wont acclerate fast enough

if your gearing is too low, you rev out to quick and lose time because your at max speed before the finish line.

jshtex
11-17-2003, 07:49 AM
A 14t front sprocket would be good for you. You will lose a little top end mph but you will accelerate quicker. You should also start in second gear. Specially with a 14t sprocket. That will keep you from having to shift to second right out of the hole.

Steve-o 400EX
11-17-2003, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by jshtex
A 14t front sprocket would be good for you. You will lose a little top end mph but you will accelerate quicker. You should also start in second gear. Specially with a 14t sprocket. That will keep you from having to shift to second right out of the hole.

I second that. I use to run the 14t but its too much with a 416 kit.

660r2a400ex
11-17-2003, 05:14 PM
hey my bike is all stock....its not that its slow, i can hang with any bike from 3rd gear...the problem is i come up off the line, still up but shift in the air to 2nd and 3rd...it wont come down and when i need to put it down is when the guy flys past me....how do i keep my bike down, i have tried every thing i use to have a raptor and it never did this to me.

wilkin250r
11-17-2003, 05:38 PM
The Raptor front end didn't come up? :huh

I'd say something was wrong with your Raptor, the front end should have come up easier than the 400EX.

Taller gearing will help keep the front end down, because you lose acceleration. It might not be the best fix, but it's probably the cheapest.

The best fix would be a longer swingarm.

Or, use a little less gas off the line.

ewalker302
11-17-2003, 06:09 PM
Wouldn't he top out too soon with a 14t (100 yards)??

I dont get gearing down to start off in second.

:bandit:

thumper250x
11-17-2003, 07:29 PM
a couple of my friends tied their suspension down all the way, and that helped them out some.

jshtex
11-18-2003, 07:16 AM
660r2a400ex... (I assume we are talking about racing in Dirt) Start in second gear and you need to rev it up. You actually want to spin the tires some, both to keep the front end down and keep the rev's up. Also shift your weight forward as much as you can. My son actually sits on the tank at the start and then once he is moving, and is not woried about the front end coming up, he hangs his B*TT off the back. This keeps his body out of the wind also.

I can't believe your Raptor would launch without pulling the front end. Usually that is why we could hang with them in a drag race.
Several times (when we were in a different class) I have told guys on Raptors to go get a tie strap and pull all the suspension out of the front end, to keep it down.

ewalker302... We have raced on some pretty long tracks (It's amazing how some 300' tracks are longer than others...) and have never made it to the top of 5th gear. The point of the gearing is to accelerate faster. You don't start in 1st for two reasons, one because it will pull up the front end easier (torque multiplication is higher in first) and so you don't have to waist time shifting out of first as soon as you take off. It's definatly the way to go, but it does take some learning...

416exguy
11-18-2003, 03:01 PM
I run a 14 - 39 setup and I rev out too quick with my 416. My buddy says 16 - 38 worked for his 416.

jshtex
11-18-2003, 05:26 PM
416exguy... Our setup is almost identical to yours and yeah we run a 15 now that we have "upgraded". But we are also doing mostly XC these days. The weekend of thanksgiving Highlifter (www.highlifter.com) is having their "Mud Nationals" event at one of our local parks. They are suposed to have a big pot drag race. I might put the 14 back on and make a few passes to see how it works out. The track there is on the short side so we might be able to pull the 14.

1fast400ex
11-18-2003, 05:33 PM
i run struts on the front and back of my ex for drag racing. i take off in 2nd full throttle and dumping the clutch. 15-38 need to be 16 with the nirtrous. i also run the small drag front wheels.