PDA

View Full Version : Higher Pitched Tick or Rattle?

kymo99
11-16-2003, 02:32 PM
I rode my ex hard today for a couple of hours. Noticed at the end of the day it had a higher pitched ticking sound coming from the motor. The ticking increases in speed as the motor is revved up. Would my valves be out of adjustment or is it something worse?
Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!
P.S.
My motor is stock with the only upgrade being an FMF slip on exhaust.

trailburner
11-16-2003, 03:54 PM
Sounds like valves to me???????????

bradley300
11-16-2003, 04:45 PM
thats what i would geuss, have they ever been adjusted?

kymo99
11-16-2003, 05:56 PM
No, they have never been adjusted. I just bought the quad three weeks ago. It is a 2002. The prior owner did not adjust the valves. The rear tires are half worn down, but there isn't a scratch on the frame. So it was ridden prior to me owning it a fair amount, but other than the tires, looks brand new. I think he rode it a lot on pavement.
Like I said, I rode her hard today in the woods. The tick wasn't there when I bought it, but at the end of today, it was ticking pretty bad.

TORO1968
11-16-2003, 06:15 PM
Definitely sounds like your valves need adjusting... There's a great article in the "Tech Articles" section of this site that shows you all you need to do to adjust your valves. Or, you could pick up a factory or Clymer service manual.

It's actually really easy to do and doesn't take all that much time either...

-Jordan

kymo99
11-16-2003, 09:21 PM
Thanks again for your help, everyone! I am going to give it a try this weekend. You will hear back from me begging for advice if adjusting the valves doesn't do the trick. :)
Later.

cals400ex
11-17-2003, 09:29 AM
i used the article on this site for adjusting valves. it is a great write-up. there is one thing that i don't agree with though. it says to make sure there is slight drag on the feeler guage. there needs to be more than slight drag on the guage in my opinion. it should be SOMEWHAT hard to move the guage. i noticed this made my valves quieter and also it ran a little better in the upper gears. good luck