PDA

View Full Version : My 400EX is smoking

FoxRacing400EX
08-15-2001, 09:52 PM
Ok here's the deal I haven't ridden my 400 in about three weeks then today I took it out to clean the air filter. I took the air filter off cleaned it with gas, then washed it out with hot soapy water then let it sit and dry. Onceit was dry oiled it then put it back on and started the bike without the airbox lid on. it started then quit a second or two after. then i put the box lid back on and started it again, this time there was a lot of white smoke comming from the exhaust. :huh

so did i put too much oil on the filter and have it sucked into the engine or what, i'd really like to know what i did and how to fix it... it's driving me nuts that i haven't been able to ride for the past three weeks without having this on top of it...sorry for the long post and thanks for any help.

08-16-2001, 04:31 AM
Sounds like too much oil and what type did you use?
80 or 90 weight from auto parts store or some foam filter spray oil from your motorcycle shop is what I use. You'll probably need to clean oil out with kerosene, not gas and try again. If you use 80 or 90 weight, you can take a clean rag and soak out any excess oil if you put too much.
Hope this helps,
John

FoxRacing400EX
08-16-2001, 10:55 AM
i used the honda foam filter oil from the motorcycle shop

08-16-2001, 04:33 PM
If you havent already, go ahead and clean filter again and re-oil with not as much oil and try again. Should work for ya'.
John

08-16-2001, 04:37 PM
Not for sure, but maybe by taking the lid off and starting it allows
too much air flow and sucks the oil right off the filter.

FoxRacing400EX
08-16-2001, 04:47 PM
Thanks everyone for your help. I started it up this morning to show my uncle what it was doing and low and behold it ran like a champ, no smoke at all not even a small puff. I'll just have to be a little more conservative next time i oil my filter and use less oil. Thanks again!:macho

MARCUMS ATV
08-16-2001, 07:41 PM
A light coat of fabric filter oil works perfect. Also everytime you clean your filter with gas it attacks the glues used in the manufacture of the filter and before you know it you will develop a split in the seams and suck dirt in your motor. I see it all the time. I use dawn dishwashing liquid and hot water. It works perfect on my K&N filters and even foam filters.

Terry