PDA

View Full Version : Brake lights

dirtbiker695
11-15-2003, 09:08 PM
On my buddies 02' 400ex the brake light either always stays on or off the whole time he is riding. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet but could you tell me where to look. I'm sure there's some kind of switch/sensor that tells when the brakes are on and its either sticking or screwed up from mud/water.

JOEX
11-15-2003, 09:15 PM
The 400ex does not have a brake light, it is a tail light. Only comes on when the head light is on. There are kits available to convert it to a brake light though.

Welcome to the site.

Joe

quadrider400
11-28-2003, 04:07 PM
True dat.;;;;;;

any idea where to get the kit ... I am tired of being rearended...:rolleyes:

JOEX
11-28-2003, 08:04 PM
There was someone on ebay selling them but I haven't came across them lately. I'm going to be making my own pretty soon.:)

Joe

11-28-2003, 09:48 PM
yah..those ones on ebay were going for a bunch for what you actually get...the cool thing about that guy on ebay selling them was you could if you wanted to send him your brake system & he will hook everything up & send them back to you for like $10 extra or something :eek:

shamisc
11-29-2003, 12:14 AM
Or, you can just do it yourself for under $20! It does reqiure a little common sense and mechanical ability though!:D

All you need is a brake light switch from Dennis Kirk, wire, electrical tape, test light, dual-element(1157) bulb and socket for the 1157, (you will have to modify your tail light to get the new socket to fit, a Dremel tool works good), a fuse and fuse holder, and a spring for the brake light switch. You take the original switch off of the clutch perch and it mounts right on the front brake lever. This will be your switch for the front brake. But, you do have to tie the two wires together that went to the switch. The only thing is then your quad will start without the clutch engaged. Then just wire everything up and WALAH, BRAKE LIGHTS!:D If this confuses you, print this off and let someone do it that has some mechanical ability!

JOEX
11-29-2003, 12:20 AM
The banjo bolts are a little spendy though...... about $16 each. There is another way with a mechanical switch that attaches to the spring. Don't know a whole lot about that one though.

Joe