PDA

View Full Version : What to do about stiff clutch?

Narly R
11-15-2003, 08:12 PM
What can i do to make my clutch not soo stiff? How are those Ez-pull levers and purches? Do they make that much diff.? Or what about a Hydralic clutch? I cant shift when like cornering because I have to pull so hard my hand slips off...:mad:

airheadedduner
11-15-2003, 08:18 PM
I use the Fly quick adjust perch. After the start the first chance I get I adjust it down so the pull is only 2/3 normal. Enough that I can shift and slip the clutch a little if need be. You may just needa new clutch cable. I really like the fly setup though.

Narly R
11-15-2003, 08:23 PM
I have tried new cables, it only affects me when im going as fast as I can AKA racing....:mad:

Ill look into that Fly setup.

westcoastmxer
11-15-2003, 08:23 PM
j/clean your clutch cable good!

muff
11-16-2003, 06:28 AM
you may have a new clutch cable but make sure when you route it that you dont have any like kinks in it...I have found for the dollar the parts unlimited cr perch and lever ($8) works good...also look at how the cable comes out of the perch, try to get the cable to come straight out of the perch, not down, this will cause some friction between the cable and the perch/lever

if the setup is fine when you are going slow, putting around and trail riding, then its just when you get to the race you get tired easily and cant pull in the clutch anymore

or maybe you need new clutch plates and springs :(

11-16-2003, 10:02 AM
how hard is it to install the clutch plates & springs myself knowing very little with mechanics. I was able to change the rear bearings. Is this any harder than that? :confused:

Silverfox@C&DRacing
11-16-2003, 01:40 PM
You should be able to handle the clutch install, just remember how it came apart and you should be good or use the service manual that helps alot,
If I can change my clutch you can do it (I did have some supervision;) )

Narly R maybe you are getting arm pump and it feels harder to pull :confused:

I use the hydraulic clutch most of the time and some times I use the msr raptor lever and perch I like them both but perfer the hydraulic of course.

Narly R
11-16-2003, 08:12 PM
I do get a little arm pump, but its not that. Its just too hard to pull in. I will take my cable off and lube it up, but it has always been hard to pull... a Magura clutch might help.

I just had my clutch apart a couple weeks ago, and everything seemed to have some life left. I dont think its that...:ermm:

insaneracin2003
11-17-2003, 10:02 AM
my clutch is very stiff and i put a new parts unlimited cable on it and it is still stiffer-den sheet.let me know if ya figure something out and ill let ya know if i figure something out/

AndrewRRR
11-17-2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Narly R
What can i do to make my clutch not soo stiff? How are those Ez-pull levers and purches? Do they make that much diff.? Or what about a Hydralic clutch? I cant shift when like cornering because I have to pull so hard my hand slips off...:mad:

Once you have determined your cable is routed correctly and lubed, I'd try a RTC clutch lever. If that doesn't do the trick you'll have to shell out $200 and get a Magura hydraulic clutch.
What clutch springs do you have? If they are super stiff do they need to be? Some of the street bike racers alternate stiff and stock springs so they get plenty of bite without making it an arm breaker to shift.

airheadedduner
11-17-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by AndrewRRR
Some of the street bike racers alternate stiff and stock springs so they get plenty of bite without making it an arm breaker to shift.
We do that with the modded shees in our group. I do not want to recomend it with your 350r but on my buddies full on 310R he ran 400ex stock clutch springs with no problems and a much lighter pull. I don't know if they could handle the 350 though.

gimp419
11-17-2003, 05:56 PM
The problem may be that you are running super stout springs as mentioned above. I have a 270R and I run the stock springs to keep it from being a beast to pull in on the track. I have had problems in the past with the clutch basket getting grooves on it. That can make it hard to pull. You do have the 88 89 clutch up-date in the motor? Also try using an RTC lever and lube the crap out of the cable. I'd stay away from the hydro clutch, one of my friends had one and he had to send it back twice and still ended up not working right.

Narly R
11-17-2003, 06:54 PM
Ok, Im pretty shure I have stock springs on it. I might give that RTC lever a try, them magura if its not too bad, are they any good? I dont wanna spend 200 bucks and have it not work...:mad:

11-17-2003, 06:57 PM
right now I have to have spacers in my line near trhe perch to get the clutch to work & engage. I have adjusted bothe the mounts all the way out to make the cable as long as possible & this cable is brand new motion pro. Also, when I take the line off the swivel think on the case it goes all the way back & forth. So is this a lifter pin problem or my plates are worn? I would like to know so I can order the parts before I open it up & have to have my quad siting in my garage before the parts come in. ;) Thanks alot

Narly R
11-17-2003, 07:25 PM
You will prolly have to pull it aprt to tell...

11-17-2003, 07:32 PM
NOOOO....anyone else think they know whats wrong with it,.....i was told awhile ago it was the clutch lifter pin so i ordered the gaskets & pin & have in hand now but my friend has told me the clutch wouldn not work at all if it was indeed the lifter pin & he said " the clutch plates are worn out & to get stock OEM ones with new springs". I just need to know forsure b/c I ride everyday & couldnt take a week or 2 waiting on parts & not riding. Thanks :macho

Narly R
11-17-2003, 09:33 PM
I have no idea man....

I think im gunna get a Magura Clutch.

11-18-2003, 05:22 AM
i dont have that kind of money...im trying to save up for a rear works shock. :( I'm also thinking about sending in my stock rear shock to deririsi & letting him do his thing on it.

muff
11-18-2003, 11:09 AM
why buy a rear works shock? just have the quad shop rebuild your stocker into a zps elka for cheaper :p

AndrewRRR
11-18-2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by muff
why buy a rear works shock? just have the quad shop rebuild your stocker into a zps elka for cheaper :p

Ya, Quadshop charged me $200 to re-spring, re-valve, and convert my stock rear R shock to Elka SSD :D
That should leave you some clutch coinage.

XANDADA
11-18-2003, 12:19 PM
rtc is smooth as butta & soft as silk. Save your $ and get rtc ez-pulls.;)

11-18-2003, 02:59 PM
ok..i have an EZpull clutch that used to help but now it is a pain everytime I have to pull in the clutch. I'm pretty sure I need new springs...i wish someone had the answer to this. :(

insaneracin2003
11-18-2003, 03:39 PM
where can i purchase that(rtc easy pull)??

11-18-2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by XANDADA
rtc is smooth as butta & soft as silk. Save your $ and get rtc ez-pulls.;)

i agree, my rtc is a softer pull then the $200 magura.;)

I run a sunline billit perch lever and the rtc lever, wow what a setup.

ILGNCC400EX
11-18-2003, 04:50 PM
a little grease on the bolt that the lever pivits on works wonders

11-18-2003, 05:21 PM
I think im going to get those "Tusk" plates in rocky mountain..they look like a good deal..;) anyone know anything about them? :confused:

Bill Fuller
11-18-2003, 06:21 PM
Crazy,stick with stock plates.The clutch is not hard to work on.Do you have a manual?If not PM me your address and I'll send you my old one.You need to find out what is wrong before you end up tearing something else up.Do you have a new gasket?If not order one and get a clutch while your at it.Call me if you need help.

Bill Fuller
11-18-2003, 06:23 PM
Oh yea and save yourself some cabbage and call Jeff at the Quadshop about the rear rebuild.

11-18-2003, 06:27 PM
ok...lost your number...i also have a new gasket from when I bought my new clutch lifter pin (& the gasket). I have now heard that if the clutch lifter pin was broken than the clutch wouldnt work at all. my clutch wouldnt work at all though unless I put these spacers in the line to make the cable longer. so I guess its either the clutch plates worn out or the pin broke/./ :mad: also, the Tusk plates & springs are $40 shipped & the OEM plates & springs are like $80 shipped so I think im going to go with the Tusk :confused:

Out_Sider
11-18-2003, 07:09 PM
GET TUSK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

11-18-2003, 07:33 PM
just ordered them...i mean, how bad can they be? the OEM cost like $80 im pretty sure, & these just cost $40 with shipping ;)

Narly R
11-18-2003, 07:55 PM
Where mcan i get a RTC EZ-Pull purtch? And how much are they?

AndrewRRR
11-18-2003, 08:17 PM

You can get them directly from RTC but I fogot their website. You can also get them at LRD, K&K, Terry's, probably other places. They are the same price everywhere I checked.

kickin440
11-18-2003, 08:33 PM
you might try a 350x clutch cable. their are two different length cables for a 350x you will want the longer one. your 400ex cable runs between your pipe flanges and the motor.it has a prety hard bend anyway. the 350x cable can be routed aloung your frame and back to the adjuster. I know it sounds odd but it worked very nice for me.;)

Vtr_Racing
11-18-2003, 08:38 PM

RTC Clutch levers (http://www.rtcracingproducts.com/clutchlevers.htm)

Narly R
11-18-2003, 08:47 PM
Ok thanks man, does anyone know if the "Extreme Racer 4" is any better than the "Standard" setup? Or visa versa?

muff
11-19-2003, 04:35 AM
if your clutch lifter pin is broken you could move the clutch arm on the motor easily with your hand :(

its the plates

11-19-2003, 05:22 AM
when the line is off I can move the pin easily with my hands & it almost goes all the way around :eek: :confused:

muff
11-19-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Crazy400exMan
when the line is off I can move the pin easily with my hands & it almost goes all the way around :eek: :confused:

yea but are you turning it counter closewise

turn it til it hits (clockwise) if it hits something then gets really really hard to move the clutch lifter pin is fine....if it doenst stop on anything than the lifter pin is broken

2ex1R
11-20-2003, 02:52 PM
I run a PEP easy pull perch and lever.With a new OEM clutch cable and an 89 update kit.It works pretty good.It's still alot harder than my stock 400ex's though.

I have a brand new 89 clutch update kit to sell.It's still in box.

40 bucks.

bigredfan
11-21-2003, 09:17 PM
just a little racing secret. Buy a cable luber and use a graphite lube.If your local dealer doesn't have the lube goto a locksmith and buy key lock lube that is graphite in a arasol can.This works better than anything.One other thing how many pros do you see using their clutch to shift for a whole race(to take off and to feather for rpm's and also to stop without killing the motor)?I hope this helps, and if it don't, it didn't cost me a thing.GOODLUCK.You might try getting shorter levers like for a smaller M. cycle. Maybe for a CR,KX,YZ 80's this works if you have small hands.

Narly R
11-21-2003, 10:50 PM
I will try that cable lube you said and get back to ya!;)

muff
11-22-2003, 06:26 AM
i agree with bigredfan about the cable lube, i havent tried it but it sounds like its worked good for him

however i really disagree with getting a shorty lever...this would be a bad idea...you may not realize it but you do loose some leverage with the short lever and after a day of riding this becomes noticeable

insaneracin2003
11-22-2003, 10:38 AM
Where can I get one?

Narly R
11-22-2003, 12:27 PM
Our local bike shop has some cable lube, but not the graphite kind. He said try a locksmith store.:ermm:

bigredfan
11-23-2003, 08:04 PM
hey guys the reason you want the graphite is the liquid dries up only leaving the graphite powder, so there is no liquid for dust to stick too, plus with graphite it is always there.Just lube 2 or 3 times a month and I promise you will notice a big difference rite off. Good luck.

AndrewRRR
11-24-2003, 09:53 AM
I use dri-slide (a graphite spray). works great.

Narly R
11-24-2003, 08:23 PM
Where did ya pick that up at?

AndrewRRR
11-25-2003, 11:50 AM
We sell it at work (GMC dealership). It's made by Mr.Goodwrench (that's the packaging anyway), gray and black can, says Dri-Slide. You can probably get it, or at least the same type of thing at any auto parts store if you ask for a graphite spray lube. I'm sure most GM dealer's parts departments will have this stuff.

pnut420
11-26-2003, 10:33 AM
Ok, Im pretty shure I have stock springs on it. I might give that RTC lever a try, them magura if its not too bad, are they any good? I dont wanna spend 200 bucks and have it not work...:mad:

I just bought one and am going to install it today. Ill let you know how it works.

insaneracin2003
11-26-2003, 10:43 AM
yeah,let us know how it works,im having a stiff clutch problem too,i should be getting my new Barnett clutch in today.

Evan
11-26-2003, 01:08 PM
I have FLY lever and it sounds like your clutch is like mine..very stiff. I have a new cable, keep it lubed, 89 update, new plates. But Im thinking it is the clutch basket that is grooved. Just my 2 cents

pnut420
11-27-2003, 01:26 PM
Alright I got the magura installed, I was expecting it to make it a little easier than my buddies PEP perch setup, but it actually turned out way smoother, the throw at the transmission is long but at the handlebars it is pretty short throw, you cant even feel when it starts to disengage the clutch it is that smooth, you can also adust the clutch handle to be as close to to the handlebars as you like, just make sure it still disengages the clutch all the way. If you have upgraded or even stock springs and ride for long periods of time Id say it was worth every $200 of it. The instructions suck ***, but the install was really easy, some people said they had trouble getting the part that pulls the clutch in lined up, but mine was perfect the first time, just make sure you dont bend the rod when running the line throw the frame, and as far as everyone saying dont pull the clutch lever in before you install it, yes it is helpful but its not the end of it, you can just gently pull the cylinder back out, if anyone needs pics of the install I can get some...

Narly R
11-27-2003, 11:28 PM
Thanks man much appriciated!(sp) I am going to go with lube and the RTC since my buget is as tight as u know what right now. But its defently my 2nd choice.

QuadMatt
11-28-2003, 01:33 AM
I have had the Magura for a year now. I got it cuz i was tired of cable problems and just wanted to fix and forget it.

I am very satisfied with the Magura. It is super smooth and pretty easy with stock springs. If the system is working properly it is far the best system. I dont know of any downside except if something does go wrong. Fortunately, mine has worked very well. I have at least a year, including 6 or so races.

The only issues are the following:

-the slave cylinder is very close to my exhaust. But it hasnt caused any problems.

-When i first installed it, and once when the bike went upside down, the lever seemed a bit mooshy, like it needed to be bled. I bought the bleeding kit but never used it cuz it fixed itself.

Bottom Line, definately worth the money.

Narly R
11-28-2003, 07:59 PM
Ok thanks man. Ill see how the RTC and things work. if not a lot better Ill satrt savin agin....:rolleyes:

Thanks for the info everyone!;)

insaneracin2003
12-30-2003, 07:14 AM
i just got my Magura clutch kit in,do i need to remove the emergency brake?if so ,whats all needed to be done to do this?thanks........