PDA

View Full Version : outwears air box cover...

Tommy 17
02-11-2002, 03:52 PM
well guyz remember how i said i loved my air box cover i take it all back.... i took it off to replace some of the crappy velcro design the have bc it was junk and fell off on the front... so as i was takin it off all i hear is RIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP... it ripped about 5 1/2 inches long and it was a pos... the velcro set up was junk... i will find sumtin else b4 i buy another pos one of those... i am gonn email outwears see what they have to say about it... sry i had to vent... TOMMY

Honda Guy
02-11-2002, 04:19 PM
I had the same problem (dident rip mine though) so I started thinking about it. I took off the velcro(off the box) I cut out the whole airbox lie so I basically dident do anything (just was a frame) then layed the outerwear on then reinstalled the cut open airbox lid. I bought a new airbox lid because I dident want to cut the stock one, but It seems like I have more bottom end when I have the stock lid on(with no hole) so I dont use my outerwear lid anymore. The only problem is it pull it really tight.

Tommy 17
02-11-2002, 06:13 PM
i was gonna do that but never got the time... i didn't even pull that hard on it either and it just ripped i was mad bc now i can't ride much bc its so muddy out...

Stunz
02-11-2002, 09:40 PM
I got one and felt ripped off after I tried to put it on. Poor design to what could be a nice product.

I ended up using the material to cover a square hole that I cut out of the lid. It seamed to work fine this way. But i've since desided to stay with the stock cover. You will get more power out of the bike with holes in the cover or no cover at all and jetted, but I felt that this increase in power wasn't worth the risk of sucking in water and mud.

I have to admit, the bike did scream when I ran no lid, 18 disk E-Series and a 165MJ.

oynot400
02-12-2002, 08:18 AM
I cut a big hole in my air box lid and placed the Outerwars under it. When the lid was clamped down it held it in place. I didn't like the velcro design either. 4punksdad has a pretty good design that he did. I think I will run his design this year. :D

Stunz
02-12-2002, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by oynot400
I cut a big hole in my air box lid and placed the Outerwars under it. When the lid was clamped down it held it in place.... :D

I tried this as well. The problem with doing it this way was if any mud or dirt go into this hole, it would sit in there and eventually sift its way into the box.

You can try to put the material on the outside of the hole, and tuck the rest up under the cover. Then clamp it down so the lid would hold it in place against the box. The problem with this way is that along the front and back there is no seal to the cover. So you have to use velcro to hold it down tight to the outside of the cover.

It was all to big of a pain for me to keep using.

I've tried the 1" vents, but they seam to get clogged after a half hour of riding.

If I wasn't riding is such dusty conditions, these would have worked.

02-12-2002, 11:30 AM
Hey guys, thanks soo much for this thread and your replys. I was considering this option, but due to my riding conditions, I will take your replys and not buy the Outerware for the airbox.

This Forum (EXriders.com) is great, thanks again!!!:)

400exRacerX
02-12-2002, 02:01 PM
I have one of those outerwears air box covers and it works great, the velcro design sucks though.

Holty
02-12-2002, 03:34 PM
I also have an Outerwears airbox lid and it works great!!! It dosn't let any mud in at all, and is almost as good as running the air box lid off. It will let some water in however, and the velcor design does suck. I took my time and trimmed the velcro exactly to the box shape. (if you know what i mean). it works great if you take your time when removing it so it won't rip. I got mine from Nac's for about $20.

EXfireguy
02-12-2002, 03:54 PM
I was just talked into getting one by a friend and now I am having second thoughts... Guess we are back to square one! I hope someone comes out with one that ACTUALLY has a good design.
Thanx,
Chip