PDA

View Full Version : Fenders

Ryan300exRider
11-15-2003, 12:04 PM
I'm thinking about cutting my fenders over the thanksgiving holiday....now i know there are alot of topics on this but im just wondering ..... I was looking at my fenders last nite and they have live a curve to them right where the "Nib" starts in the front all the way back. Do you guys cut right outside the nib ( cuz i want the look of the nib jutting out when i cut them) and just follow the curve or do you cut straight back.. ??:confused:

Ryan300exRider
11-15-2003, 03:52 PM
Bump....

suck my pipe
11-15-2003, 04:34 PM
depends how you like them, i followed the :NIB: lol cut right along it but at the bottom there will be fang lookin things stickn out i cut them off so therre like curved kinda. looks good with and with out thoe just use black electrical tape to mae lines were you want to cut if you dont like the way it looks pull the tape off and try again till you like the shape. Good luck

quad_racer_19
11-15-2003, 04:59 PM
what is the point really of cutting fenders??? i dont see one...it just means you get dirtier

K_Fulk
11-15-2003, 05:46 PM
It keeps the wind from blowing you around when you jump. And it helps your topend beacuse of the wind resistence.

quad_racer_19
11-15-2003, 05:52 PM
ooooooooooooooooooooooh

well i dont really need to worry bout it cuz i dont relly race o body at the track although cut fenders look trick if you cut them right

gimp419
11-15-2003, 07:45 PM
I cut mine so I can see my front wheels. I find it's hard for me to rail a rut or a berm if I can't see where my front tire is.

sportraxrider10
11-15-2003, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by K_Fulk
It keeps the wind from blowing you around when you jump. And it helps your topend beacuse of the wind resistence.

the 400 doesn't have enough top speed to make that help at all with wind resistance.:o most people just do it to look cool and racers do it so they can see where there front tires are

11-16-2003, 10:15 AM
i just cut mine how i thought would look cool , take some electrical tape and run it down the fenders int he shape u want and look at it, then pick the one u want and follow it when u cut

hondafox440
11-16-2003, 10:20 AM
You shouldn't be looking at your wheels during a race..

300XFST4602
11-16-2003, 11:49 AM
I cut mine cause i am tired of that da*m mud makin my fenders flap all around when i am ridin or on the track......

Chef
11-16-2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by sportraxrider10
the 400 doesn't have enough top speed to make that help at all with wind resistance.:o most people just do it to look cool and racers do it so they can see where there front tires are

Stick your cupped hand out of a window of a car while going 65 and feel how much wind resistance there is for that. Multiply that by 10.

400exr
11-16-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Chef
Stick your cupped hand out of a window of a car while going 65 and feel how much wind resistance there is for that. Multiply that by 10.

Yes, but when you ride the rider has more wind resitance than your fenders ever would. Even if you lay down then the rest of the bike has lot of wind resitance, so cuting the little fenders of has a very, very minor effect on wind resitance at all. I love the look of cut fenders and I'm going to do it to mine, but not because of the aerodynamics ;)

K_Fulk
11-16-2003, 02:58 PM
There is still less drag on it without fender than with. Those dumbo ears catch quite a bit especially if your out on a windy day.

4wheelboy
11-16-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by 300XFST4602
I cut mine cause i am tired of that da*m mud makin my fenders flap all around when i am ridin or on the track......

got any pics:confused: i cant find a good line to fallow. i was thinking about just getting maier 250r race cut:(

roostin_dale
11-18-2003, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Chef

never thought of it that way...it also looks badass

northeast400
11-18-2003, 05:42 PM
Do any of you go in the woods to ride? because without fenders you would be covered in mud real fast.

K_Fulk
11-18-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by northeast400
Do any of you go in the woods to ride? because without fenders you would be covered in mud real fast.

I just deal with it, arms get muddier. But its not always real muddy.

Ryan300exRider
11-18-2003, 08:14 PM
Does anyone have pics of the taping they did when they cut and left the "nips" cuz i cant figure out which way to do it....To cut it straight back from right where the nip is to let it jut out or cut along the crease and curve of the fender that follows the nip.....:eek2:

quadryda
12-18-2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by suck my pipe
depends how you like them, i followed the :NIB: lol cut right along it but at the bottom there will be fang lookin things stickn out i cut them off so therre like curved kinda. looks good with and with out thoe just use black electrical tape to mae lines were you want to cut if you dont like the way it looks pull the tape off and try again till you like the shape. Good luck

i did that too!