PDA

View Full Version : LSR axcalibur question (the hub thing...)

xrracer36
11-14-2003, 07:49 AM
hi.
a friend of mine and i each have axcaliburs (sp?) for our 400ex's, and they both have freeplay in the billet hub that the sprocket goes on. you can buy another billet hub from LSR for $120, and then find a press to install it.
well, my friend called LSR and they(LSR) told him that a stock honda sprocket hub can be installed rather than a LSR one. :eek: is this true? :confused: has anyone done (or even tried) this? if so, what is the difference in the LSR billet hub and the stock hub, and why should i choose one over the other? (the LSR one is billet aluminum, the axle is steel, therefore the hub wears. I don't think i have ever seen a stocker with freeplay, and the stock axle is steel. is the stock hub steel, too?) :huh
could this be a permanent fix for the axcaolibur dilema?:macho
can i get some pros and cons of this and any input?
thanks,
racer36

11-14-2003, 07:52 AM
Call LS ask them to send you a axle clip ring which is what the axlenut pushes against to keep the axle snug. Put this ring next to the one that's already in place near the sprocket hub. It will help take up some of the slack and make the amount of movement a lot less or take all movement away. I did this and it works great,,i need to get some pics so you people don't think i'm talkin outa ma butt like usual.:o

Also Honda does not sell just the sprocket hub, you have to buy the entire axle. I suggest calling a atv junkyard and see if they have any like east coast atv....good luck.

xrracer36
11-14-2003, 09:04 AM
my friend's quad has the same play that you describe yours as having (frontto back AND SIDE TO SIDE) mine only has front to back (aka "rotational" play) freeplay, no side to side movement that i can detect, therefore i donnot see how your axle clip ring thing fix will fix mine at all, or if i even need to worry about it then???
if i can't get a stock hub reasonably (off a used axle or whatever), i'll probably just replace it with the billet on from LSR, but does anyone know if there is anyone who machines the hub out of a stronger material (like steel), but won't wear the axle instead. that is the only thing i would be worried about.
now should i replace the LSR hub and it doesn't last very long (less than a season:grr:) i'll probably look into buying a used stock axle off ebay or something...

11-14-2003, 09:12 AM
i believe RPM makes billet hubs with stainless inserts but they only fit RPM axles....:( I think they could make some cash offering a fix for LS hub issues...:o

xrracer36
11-14-2003, 09:21 AM
yeah you wold think so...
and it would probably run LSR right out of business... like saying "look! they suck, and we fix them!" LOL
you don't know of anyone selling their stock axles, do you?

what does one do if the stocker wears out, if honda doesn't offer it for sale? buy a whole new axle?:eek2: