PDA

View Full Version : Quietest exhaust for a 400ex???anybody know(opinions)

660r2a400ex
11-13-2003, 06:15 PM
hey, whats the quietest exhaust for the 400ex, i like the loud power pipes but i aint a hardcore racer, im a trailrider and i race maybe 3-4 times a year...i usually spend every day and night riding trails, i have been up riding as late as 3 in the morning, i live in a some what tight neighborhood too so i need to keep it as quiet as stock or quieter and add at least 5 hp...at least. also can i just run a powerbomb header pipe w/ my stock silencer, will i gain power, all opinions are welcomed, what is the stock db of the 400ex.

hondafox440
11-13-2003, 06:24 PM
You aren't going to gain 5HP by adding ANY pipe to the 400EX. Maybe 2-3 at the most.

That being said, the FMF MegaMaxII is fairly quiet and adds some power and low end torque. Plus is has removable disks and quiet core for when you race.

660r2a400ex
11-13-2003, 07:52 PM
that exhaust is out of the question, i have allready blown away an 01 ex with that full system, mines stock, also, i have blown away a big gun slip on and a eldebrock 38 carb....why is this...and 2-3hp...that sucks, hmf puts out 4-6 w/ a slip on, i

speedy400
11-13-2003, 07:53 PM
megamax2 with the quiet core insert is really quiet, I have mine I just put on ebay if you want to check it out.-darren

skemp
11-13-2003, 07:59 PM
You aren't going to get more than 3 HP out of any system, as stated before, regardless of what the pipe manufacturer might say.
The quietest pipe is the stock pipe, and in reality, to gain any kind of power you are going to have to go with a loud pipe. It is one of the definite trade-offs. It is good to see that you want to keep it quiet though. There are other ways to boost power, such as a high compression piston and a cam. These will keep you happy and quiet at the same time. :) Good luck.

660r2a400ex
11-13-2003, 08:18 PM
yeah, i know i could do that but i just got the bike its almost 3 years old and has less than 30 hours on it probally...i just dont see in going in the engine now and messing something good up...its strong, high comp, no smoke, no problems, i dont see why i would go in the engine til it blows, i think an LRD or R4 will be my pipe of choice, i just dont see many people running them and i'd like to have something different on mine, and my friends run alba and duncan racing wich put over 103 db each, i dont think it will matter what more noisy quad.

Diedrich
11-13-2003, 09:43 PM
hmf, t-4, sparks, lrd, hetricks...them are all good pipes but like they said they are gonna be loud..just get a quite core or something so it will cut it down a lil

ewalker302
11-13-2003, 10:49 PM
I know it's already been mentioned, but with the megamaxxII system "or any other disc type"

You can run it with the quiet core fully installed to make it about as quiet as stock, which is probabally what the guy you "blew away" was doing.

or you can run it with just the discs in for normal riding when sound isn't that big a deal

If you want to race, you can also put nuts, or spacers on the bolts that hold the dics in & really get it wide open (with the quiet core out of course)

Just my .02 but this is the closest thing you are gonna find if you want to be able to tune it from quiet to race.

Also If you are just against the megamaxx, I think the white bros e series is similar & has a lot of different encaps, discs, quietcores as well.

:bandit:

Smokin 440
11-14-2003, 07:38 PM
WB e series pro meg, good all around pipe, u could run a quiet core when u want to and otherwise regulate sound by the amount of disks, or take them all off for most flow, either way its a more powerful exhaust than the r4 and more changeable, but i dunno 'bout the lrd....... good luck

EvilJester400EX
11-15-2003, 06:13 PM
HMF and get a quiet core for it.