PDA

View Full Version : New york / Long island people read!

Greg Z
11-13-2003, 04:05 PM
Local paper today!

http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/newjacksm/paper.jpg

All terrain vehicle riders took a hit last week when Suffolk county park police deputy sheriffs and New York state department of envieronmental conservation police officers conducted an enforcement operation in Farmingville, Middle island and Yaphank
The operation targeted atv riders who were ridiing illegally and was conducted in response to numerous complaints from local offials,residents and civic groups. Suffolk county law prohibits the use of offroad vehicales on public land and on provate land with out written consent of the land owner.
Peter chen sales manager of maximum motor sports in riverhead said that in spite the laws governing atv use they are selling a lot of them infact he said they have been selling about four to five a week on average and that every year atv sales have gone up about 20%. Maximum motor sports is conscientious about the law and informs each person purchasing an ATV about it through a disclosure statement.
¡§we need to get more places people can ride¡¨ said Chen. He believes that the state and the county could make money through fees if they establisdhed a location for riders. It keeps popele kids especially off the street.¡¨ Chen added.
Jay grisham, 13 of east Hampton couldn¡¦t agree more with chen. Grisham who travels with his family and friends to places as far as upstate new york and new jersey to go riding said that he believes four acer facility out on the east end would be great so he can and kids like him could go riding there more often. His friend joepeh, 8 agreed with grisham stating that we should have one in east Hampton.
Jopsephs father, Maury chinchilla said he has to take off a half a day to drive from the east end to island motocross in yaphank so his son and his friend can ride. He said he sees all sorts of people in the woods from bird watchers and moutiain bikers to people on horse back while he believes island motocross is a good idea he cans ee why people would ride in the woods. ¡§you don¡¦t have to pay to go into the woods,¡¨ He stated.
¡§I think we should have more places to ride in different areas not just one place,¡¨ Grisham said as he worked on his motocross bike while he waited for island motocross to open its track for the day.
Island motocross is the brain child of tammy and joe. Who opend the track because of the difficulties with finding places to ride on long island. Tammy said that people don¡¦t understand that motocross is a real sport which is why they offer riding lessons and a track that is set up for novice skilled riders.
Jim trefz who was also wiaitng for the track to open said he and others are forming an organization for ATV and dirt bike rides he stated that there are close to 2500 atvs sold a year in this area alone and yet there is only one legal place to ride. The orginazation is also talking about buying 10 to 20 acers of land but they cant get a permit which is something merrills know about. It took them four years to get the track open
¡§there are a lot of people who don¡¦t want to ride illegally,¡¨ Trefz said. He knows people who ride illegally not because they want to destroy the qwoods but because they simply want a place to ride. Dan sandstedt agreed with Trefz stationg that he believes Suffolk County should open up a track because ¡§there would be that many less kids out there doing drugs.¡¨ Both men agreed that riding is a family activity.
There were 22 atvs seized in the operation and 58 summonses issued for violations including local and new york state vehicle and traffic law offense. The seized atvs were transported to the Suffolk county park police impound facility. It will cost the owners 250 dollars redemption fee to get vehicals back in addition to possible impose court fines.
Theres more but its all un useful information basic summary of the last paragraph is that a lot of people get hurt and it osts money to fix the hurt people ļ

SORRY FOR THE MISSPELLING IM SURE THERE IS IN THERE AND I MAY OF SCREWED UP ON SOME LINES MY HANDS ARE KILLING ME!!!

ny300exrider
11-13-2003, 04:15 PM
yup i have the article too..i got mine a couple days ago.. kinda sucks about the quads being impounded by us but i also like the article because its pushing for a legal riding area which we definitly need..

Honda4trax250x
11-13-2003, 04:16 PM
what paper is that???

ny300exrider
11-13-2003, 04:22 PM
suffolk life :)

Honda4trax250x
11-13-2003, 04:32 PM
thanks, i think i get that