PDA

View Full Version : stock suspension?

Moded86R
11-13-2003, 10:03 AM
I recently bought an 02 400ex.The bike has very low hours on it.

The thing is my buddy also has an 02 400ex.His has alot more hours than mine does.

ALL of our shocks are on the same setting.But my suspension is alot softer than his.It is very noticeable.His is almost harsh compared to mine.

Is this because shocks fade or what?

Anythoughts?

YLW400
11-13-2003, 10:23 AM
Are yours real springy?? They may be blown......

muff
11-13-2003, 01:30 PM
its not a problem with your shocks at all...with more abuse shocks will seem to become not so plush and will seem to be stiff but will bottom out more easily

Moded86R
11-13-2003, 07:10 PM
Yeah I know my shocks aren't blown.The guy I bought it from wouldn't even ride a wheelie.I think he was a doctor that wanted a bike so he would look cool when he went out to the country for picnics!

Hey muff remember when I bought those works shocks from you?I have riden my 300ex twice since then.They do work good though.But I was testing them out and broke the bike!

muff
11-13-2003, 07:12 PM
oh yea man I totally forgot about ya

what broke? glad you like the shocks

Moded86R
11-13-2003, 07:33 PM
I don't know if I cracked the frame or what.But now it leaks oil.It cracked the centercase right by the motor mount on the bottom front of the motor.

muff
11-14-2003, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by Moded86R
I don't know if I cracked the frame or what.But now it leaks oil.It cracked the centercase right by the motor mount on the bottom front of the motor.

I had to replace that case on my 300ex, I busted a chain and instead of it hittin the outer case it took a chunk out of the middle piece :( wasn't to fun replacing but with the clymer manual it wasn't that bad

Moded86R
11-14-2003, 01:22 PM
Yeah I just went through the same thing with my R.3 years ago the chain came off and pushed the shift shaft down and broke the center case.My dad tig welded it.It always leaked though.So I bought both new center cases and a new crank along with just about everything to make the lower end brand new.

If all goes according to plan I will fire her up next weekend for the first time in two years.

I am think I will just take some type of epoxy and fix the 300ex case.It's just a little crack.It wont drain all the oil out.If you let it sit for a week or so it will have a pretty good size puddle.But it's a PITA nontheless.I don't like the idea at all though.I think it will be alright.My 300ex is going to get fixed and basicly never riden.It was my dad's who passed away.More sentimental than anything.

muff
11-14-2003, 01:28 PM
wow thats sad to hear...

maybe try some of that jb weld, i havent used it but it seems like a few people have

F-16Guy
11-14-2003, 09:26 PM
When I bought my girlfriend's '03, I noticed that the coils on the front shocks were wound different. They looked to be a different gauge and the winding was tighter at the top. It looked like Honda tried to make it a more progressive spring rate. Maybe you have a later model with the different springs.

QuadJunkies
11-14-2003, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by YLW400
Are yours real springy?? They may be blown...... thats how mine were..All three:eek2: I kepot telling troy they felt spongy, LOL... you should see the rear shock...... All nasty Grey Mucky Ewwwwwwwww........ They since have been rebuilt so Im excited to try them out, I dont even run the stock fronts anymore, it was time to move up a little to a better shock.....:)

QuadJunkies
11-14-2003, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by YLW400
Are yours real springy?? They may be blown...... thats how mine were..All three:eek2: I kepot telling troy they felt spongy, LOL... you should see the rear shock...... All nasty Grey Mucky Ewwwwwwwww........ They since have been rebuilt so Im excited to try them out, I dont even run the stock fronts anymore, it was time to move up a little to a better shock.....:)