PDA

View Full Version : I finally got my big break!!! BUT...

Jake250ex
11-12-2003, 11:02 AM
Well, I got a 250ex about 2 years ago, and usually it would be startling to ride but I was actually bored with the power the first day I got it, and I have been looking to can it. I put my quad in the paper and he said he would be willing to trade his 99 400ex for mine!!!! The only thing was he said 2nd gear rattled a bit, and my dad is sceptical of letting me trade because of it. So, I'm afraid I might get screwed out of an extrordinary deal. What do you guys think, and what the problem could be?

O yes it also has a Pingry oil tank, and skids and bumper/grab bar

4TraxRider
11-12-2003, 12:08 PM
If second gear is making a noise because of the gearbox, it will probably be rather expensive to fix. Take it for a ride with somone who knows a lot about quads and see what they think. Good Luck on whatever happens.

11-12-2003, 12:08 PM
99ex...:eek:

I'd say it's probably ragged the flock out and I'd keep your 250ex at least it runs. You get this POS and it might last you a week, then $1000 to rebuild the motor or fix other problems. If I were in your shoes I'd stick with what ya got for now..

skemp
11-12-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Rico
99ex...:eek:

I'd say it's probably ragged the flock out and I'd keep your 250ex at least it runs. You get this POS and it might last you a week, then $1000 to rebuild the motor or fix other problems. If I were in your shoes I'd stick with what ya got for now..

My thoughts exactly.

nacs400ex
11-12-2003, 02:30 PM
I wouldnt buy it, seems like its on its last legs now. You should put your 250ex in the paper, sell it and then buy a 400ex.

Jake250ex
11-12-2003, 03:12 PM
You guys don't understand. Even if I sale the 250, ( I had it in the paper 2 weeks already and this is the only call I had ) wich looks incredibly grim, I would end up with $1200 IF im lucky, so theres no way in HELL that I could have anywere near enough cash to buy a decent quad. Theres a good possibility nothing may be that wrong either, I just dunno I haven't rode it, I have only heard about it. It may be the clutch even... The guy kinda sounded like a hilljack anyway. And even if it did go out, my friend can most likely fix it for near free after I buy the part. YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW BAD I WANT TO GET RID OF THE 250, ASK STRIKER, HE KNOWS WHAT I MEAN!!!!

sickmojave
11-12-2003, 03:24 PM
well if i had a choice between 2 POS's I would take the POS 400. ;)

DMS
11-12-2003, 04:05 PM
Maybe the 400ex is stolen. He might be trying to off-it cheap.

11-12-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Jake250ex
You guys don't understand. Even if I sale the 250, ( I had it in the paper 2 weeks already and this is the only call I had ) wich looks incredibly grim, I would end up with $1200 IF im lucky, so theres no way in HELL that I could have anywere near enough cash to buy a decent quad. Theres a good possibility nothing may be that wrong either, I just dunno I haven't rode it, I have only heard about it. It may be the clutch even... The guy kinda sounded like a hilljack anyway. And even if it did go out, my friend can most likely fix it for near free after I buy the part. YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW BAD I WANT TO GET RID OF THE 250, ASK STRIKER, HE KNOWS WHAT I MEAN!!!!

I understand fully what your saying.

So is a running 250ex better than a broke down 400??

toby400ex
11-12-2003, 04:48 PM
You should be able to get way more than 1250 for your 250ex

Jake250ex
11-12-2003, 04:56 PM
THE 400EX RUNS. COULD WE STOP POUNDING THAT INTO THE GROUND?!? YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MANY TIMES I'VE TOLD MY BUDDIES IM GETTING A NEW QUAD ( NAME ANY HIGH PERFORMANCE QUAD AND I HAVE BEEN SCREWED OUT OF A DEAL OVER IT )!!! I have had "great oppurtunities" to get Blasters, Banshee's 250 R's suzuki and honda, but this is a serious deal... At least I think it would be if the guy called me and wanted to trade! I would dump the 250 for nearly anything, and you may say I'm too blind to realize I'm dumping a new 250ex for something eles, but I'm so bored with it it's beyond imagination. When I first got on it, I realized it wasnt any thing like I would have hoped for in the power dept., so I dumped a load of cash into it which was not a great idea, but hey I learned from my mistake.

P.S. - That was crude sickmojave!!!

416exmx
11-12-2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by 4TraxRider
If second gear is making a noise because of the gearbox, it will probably be rather expensive to fix. Take it for a ride with somone who knows a lot about quads and see what they think. Good Luck on whatever happens.

where exactly is the gearbox???

11-12-2003, 05:42 PM
THE 400EX RUNS. COULD WE STOP POUNDING THAT INTO THE GROUND?!? YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MANY TIMES I'VE TOLD MY BUDDIES IM GETTING A NEW QUAD ( NAME ANY HIGH PERFORMANCE QUAD AND I HAVE BEEN SCREWED OUT OF A DEAL OVER IT )!!! I have had "great oppurtunities" to get Blasters, Banshee's 250 R's suzuki and honda, but this is a serious deal... At least I think it would be if the guy called me and wanted to trade! I would dump the 250 for nearly anything, and you may say I'm too blind to realize I'm dumping a new 250ex for something eles, but I'm so bored with it it's beyond imagination. When I first got on it, I realized it wasnt any thing like I would have hoped for in the power dept., so I dumped a load of cash into it which was not a great idea, but hey I learned from my mistake.

P.S. - That was crude sickmojave!!!

Well go buy the mofo cuz it sounds like your mind is made up no matter what we say. Let us know how ya like it..:cool:

PS..I'd ask what bushings and bearings have been replaced on it and check the frame over with a fine tooth comb because they all break or crack somewhere.. Ask him to pull out the pivot bolt and grease it for ya before you buy it....:eek2:

wilkin250r
11-12-2003, 05:56 PM
Here's the gamble I see. If you get the 400, you could find the entire transmission is completely shot, and you would be looking at a $1000 repair, and then it should run good. So basically, you could be looking at your 250 + $1000 for a good 400EX.

If you sell your 250 for $1200, you aren't going to find a 400EX for $2200.

On the other hand, it COULD only be a $200 repair, in which you would be way ahead of the game.

In any case, make SURE you test drive the 400EX before you commit to the deal. If along with the tranny problems the frame is tweaked, and the swingarm is cracked, and the axle is bent, you are looking at WAY more than a $1000 repair. Also, try to determine if the 400EX is stolen.

wilkin250r
11-12-2003, 06:06 PM
Ask him to pull out the pivot bolt and grease it for ya before you buy it....:eek2:

Great, let's take a quad with motor problems and add frame problems to it, because you know that mofo is gonna try to pound it out with a sledgehammer and ruin the frame... :macho

Meek
11-13-2003, 03:20 AM
Ask him to pull out the pivot bolt and grease it for ya before you buy it....:eek2:

Have you had problems with your pivot bolt? lol

pnut420
11-13-2003, 10:43 AM
Alright Ive had problems getting the pivot bolt, but if you cut it out it is only a $100 for the bolt, new bearings and sleeves. As far as $1,000 for transmission repairs, I have a 2000 motor with the top end apart and the bottom end is like new, I checked the gears and they had little damage and I would be willing to sell it cheap because Im going to a different college away from home.

The main thing you need to check is the frame, that is the most important thing. Even if it is messed up I see frames on here for $300-$600 for a fully gussetted frame. If you have money to put into the 400 (which I doubt you do, or you would sell the 300 and get a better 400ex). Good luck either way and if you do get the 400ex we have plenty of parts we casn sell yah:p

sparks400
11-13-2003, 11:49 AM
i had a 99 400 and that thing was a pos, like rico said less then a week it will break like mine did, it would have cost us 1000+ labor, i pulled the head off and the piston moved way to much then its supposed to. the sleeve was gone the piston was gone, the rings leaked, the crank was lose gear all f'ed up, and thats from just listen to it, imagine if we tore it completly apart, so we put it all back together and traded it in for the 2000 that runs strong:D

Chanman420q
11-13-2003, 01:35 PM
ask him if he has all the paper work first, if he says no i wouldnt even concider it, because if it is stolen, and the cops find out, there taking it and u just lost ur quad. And chances are u wont get ur 250 back either. Just keep it, this 400 sounds to iffy:huh

Jake250ex
11-13-2003, 01:36 PM
Pnut, how much damage is there done to the bottom end, and would you be willing to sell me the bottom only for a good price?

pnut420
11-13-2003, 03:50 PM
Pnut, how much damage is there done to the bottom end, and would you be willing to sell me the bottom only for a good price?

Oops, I messed up in my post. The bottom end looks new, when I changed the oil filter I took the screen out for the trannie and saw no signs of any metal, etc.... The motor still ran good, I just tore it apart to do a 426 and then ended up buying a complete 426 from someone and was going to make my other motor a stroker. PM me a price you would be willing to pay, the cylinder has never been bored and shows no scratches. But like these other guys said man make sure that quad is not stolen and he has a title on it, cause I wouldnt even want to sell you the motor that is going to be put in a stolen quad. Im not saying its stolen or jumping to conclusions, we are just trying to let you be buyer aware.

416exmx
11-13-2003, 06:33 PM
you could find a stock 400ex motor for like $600. put it in there, and sell the other motor as parts. the head, side cases and stuff like that may be good. just an idea...