PDA

View Full Version : Friend has problem with Scrambler 90

quadfamily
11-11-2003, 09:19 PM
My friends son has a 2001 Polaris Scrambler 90. He bought it new and didn't have any troubles with it (except for the chain falling off ocasionally) until recently. In fact it was still on the original spark plug until he started having the problems. It is sometimes hard to start now and it not weather related. Sometimes after riding it for a while it starts running really crappy and loses all power until it stalls and it won't start up again. Also he said it will stall after going through alot of water. I haven't seen it do this but I've seen it do all the other things. It will start right up if we put a new plug in it but it will also start up again if we just let it sit for about 10 minutes. Then it will stumble for a minute until it clears itself then it's fine again. But it will not start up immediately after it stalls. The plugs don't look too bad when we take them out either. After the first trouble he got some new spark plugs and it ran great for a while but then trouble again. I'm not sure what kind of plug is supposed to be in it but he didn't put in NGK's. Any ideas?

4TraxRider
11-12-2003, 12:33 PM
Make sure you have the right plugs in it first, then look at the plug wires and electrical coectoins. If they ground out or touch water the could foul the plug. Or cut spark until the wires dry out.

2001400ex
11-13-2003, 09:34 AM
Check your spark plug boot for it being open because when the water hits the spark plug it will cancel the spark and cuase it to stall. And when it's not by the water it could just vibrate off a little bit so it can't continue the spark but it could be so small you may not even notice.

660bigdaddy
11-21-2003, 08:38 AM
my son had one and we had the same proble. go to your dealer and get the right plug for it. it worked for me.;)

4punksdad
11-22-2003, 05:07 AM
is the gas cap breathing properly? Sounds like it might be air locking.

quadfamily
11-22-2003, 07:21 AM
Thanks guys, I'm going to tell him to get an OEM correct type plug from the dealer and we'll check all the other things suggested here. My first instinct says plug and this will give us somewhere to start at least. It rained so hard here this week that it will be another week before things dry out enough for us to even think about riding anyway. Everything is flooded here including the roads!