PDA

View Full Version : Cams...are they worth it??

trailburner
11-11-2003, 08:17 PM
OK.. I'm thinking about buying a cam [Hot Cam] I was wondering if you can "Feel" the difference after putting one in??are they worth the money???? & witch one to get the Stage 1 or 2. I trail ride & I'm looking for more MID-range...need more power coming out of the corners!! Thanks for any Info........

hondafox440
11-11-2003, 08:22 PM
From what I have heard from everyone who owns one, they are an excellent investment.

11-12-2003, 06:43 AM
well id go with the stage one cam for trails, anything else stage 2

wilkin250r
11-12-2003, 09:27 AM
A quick tutorial on how a cam works:

Theoretically, the intake valves open when the piston is directly at the top of the stroke, and close directly at the bottom. Well, this works fine up to about 2000 rpms. After that, the physics gets a little more complex, and you can take advantage of that.

The simple principle behind it all is, NOTHING HAPPENS INSTANTANEOUSLY. Moving air has momentum, and you can use that momentum to build power. The higher the engine rpm, the faster the air is moving, and thus the higher the momentum to utilize to your advantage.

This means, on the intake stroke, that the valves can stay open PAST the bottom, because the air momentum will continue to pack more air into the cylinder. Since this momentum is different for different rpms, you can tailor a cam around a certain rpm range.

A BIG aspect you will hear is the overlap, and scavenging. This is probably the most prevalent aspect of a cam next to lift. When the piston is on the exhaust stroke, the exhaust valves are open and the piston is traveling upwards to push the exhaust out. Once all the exhaust gasses have left the cylinder (but the valves are still open) the momentum of the exhaust gasses will actually create a vacuum within the cylinder. At this point, the intake valves open, and BOTH exhaust and intake valves are open. The momentum of the exhaust going OUT will help pull new fresh fuel/air IN. This is called scavenging, because you are using (scavenging) the energy of the exhaust gasses to help build power.

Again, these aspects are different for different rpm ranges, so you can tailor a cam for a certain rpm range. However, these aspects also have their drawbacks. Like we said, at high rpms you can leave the intake open longer, even while the piston begins traveling upwards, because the inrush momentum will continue to pack more air/fuel into the cylinder. However, at low rpms, you don't have that momentum, so if the intake is still open while the piston begins traveling upwards, you can actually begin to push air OUT the intake. The tradeoff? You get great top-end power, but you lose low-end power. It's a compromise.

nacs400ex
11-12-2003, 02:18 PM
I would definitly get a cam if you have motorwork. Otherwise no, you would only see a small gain.

muff
11-12-2003, 07:56 PM
with a cam and a high compression pistion you'll see a big difference..def. worht the $250 go with 10.5 or 11:1 comp and hot cam stage 1 and you'd be runnin pretty good for a low price

TIGER72
11-12-2003, 10:12 PM
i have a stage 2 with maybe 6 rides on it, and i have to tell you, for trail riding, i had to grow some bigger nuts, 'cuz you have to keep that thing revved up, it don't like to be lugged around. on the open trails, it is great, it is a vast improvement over stock. but for tight and technical stuff, it is hard to steer when your front tires are not on the ground because you are hammering the throttle to keep the engine revved. going up hills with that stage 2 is alot different to, i have already crashed and burned once because i used to go up some hills where i ride 3rd gear, and i just did not have enough steam built up with that stage 2. i think i am going to a 14 tooth front sprocket, i hope that helps me out a little on the low end. i know the stage 1 would be better suited for my style of riding, but i like the stage 2 alot. it is fun, but damn, it is taking some getting used too. this is my 2 cents...

hsr
11-13-2003, 06:15 PM
You won't see much of a gain w/ out a higher compression piston. This combo can be lethal :D

hondafox440
11-13-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
A quick tutorial on how a cam works:

Theoretically, the intake valves open when the piston is directly at the top of the stroke, and close directly at the bottom. Well, this works fine up to about 2000 rpms. After that, the physics gets a little more complex, and you can take advantage of that.

The simple principle behind it all is, NOTHING HAPPENS INSTANTANEOUSLY. Moving air has momentum, and you can use that momentum to build power. The higher the engine rpm, the faster the air is moving, and thus the higher the momentum to utilize to your advantage.

This means, on the intake stroke, that the valves can stay open PAST the bottom, because the air momentum will continue to pack more air into the cylinder. Since this momentum is different for different rpms, you can tailor a cam around a certain rpm range.

A BIG aspect you will hear is the overlap, and scavenging. This is probably the most prevalent aspect of a cam next to lift. When the piston is on the exhaust stroke, the exhaust valves are open and the piston is traveling upwards to push the exhaust out. Once all the exhaust gasses have left the cylinder (but the valves are still open) the momentum of the exhaust gasses will actually create a vacuum within the cylinder. At this point, the intake valves open, and BOTH exhaust and intake valves are open. The momentum of the exhaust going OUT will help pull new fresh fuel/air IN. This is called scavenging, because you are using (scavenging) the energy of the exhaust gasses to help build power.

Again, these aspects are different for different rpm ranges, so you can tailor a cam for a certain rpm range. However, these aspects also have their drawbacks. Like we said, at high rpms you can leave the intake open longer, even while the piston begins traveling upwards, because the inrush momentum will continue to pack more air/fuel into the cylinder. However, at low rpms, you don't have that momentum, so if the intake is still open while the piston begins traveling upwards, you can actually begin to push air OUT the intake. The tradeoff? You get great top-end power, but you lose low-end power. It's a compromise.

So scavenging is a similar concept to 2 strokes using the pipe to tune energy waves to keep the fresh mixture in the cylinder?

RED121572
11-14-2003, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by member
well id go with the stage one cam for trails, anything else stage 2

....I second that.

Cams are cheap and worth every penny. You can really feel the difference.
:D

cheetah
11-15-2003, 06:12 PM
A high comp. piston and cam is definately a great investment. I personally prefered the stage 2 and all I rode was trails. It did like to be revved, but I had rode a few banshees in the woods so I was pretty good at keeping it revved and if you can do that, you'll see a bit more power from it.