PDA

View Full Version : Sand Mountain for New Years?.....Good Idea?

yellowZryder
11-11-2003, 06:01 PM
I was wondering what the weather is like at sand mountain after christmas. I know it will be cold at night but is it unbearable if you have to sleep in a tent and is it warm or cold during the day?

JD400exrider
11-11-2003, 06:36 PM
Just got back sunday. Went up on Thursday. It was snowing like a dog at donner summit. Sand mountain was good weather. No rain until sunday morning. Full moon / stars every night.

A Tent at new Years It will be cold. This last weekend it was very windy at night and in the mourning and very cold. Good riding weather :blah:

wilkin250r
11-12-2003, 11:00 AM
During the winter, Sand Mountain is a gamble for weather. It's most likely that it won't snow (just because we never get much snow on the valley floor in Nevada) but it IS entirely possible that it could be windy.

Either way, I'd say it would be WAY too cold for tent camping, even if there was no wind or snow. You'd wake up to icicles forming inside your tent. The valley floor gets dang cold at night.

yellowZryder
11-12-2003, 06:27 PM
I was kinda thinkin it would get cold. Is it as windy as it sometimes can be at pismo?

JD400exrider
11-12-2003, 10:43 PM
I don't know how windy pismo is. But the wind at sand mountain this last weekend was daaam cold. I had a great time though. Well worth the wind and cold. :D I will do it again

wilkin250r
11-13-2003, 01:11 PM
It can get pretty windy. The entire mountain was formed from wind picking up sand from farther away, and dropping it all in one place as it blows into the valley. So yes, the wind blows often, but there are also many days that the wind doesn't blow at all.

If you have a trailer with a heater, I'd say Sand Mountian would be good for New Years. However, in a tent, I think you'd be a little cold.

Crowdog
12-03-2003, 06:55 PM
http://www.sandmountain-nv.org/images/Snow.jpg

This was in March a few years back.....

Desert Rat
12-04-2003, 05:12 PM
Average day time temperatures are in the mid 40's with night time 1/2 that at Sand Mountain. Tough at night but okay in the day if it is not windy and the sun is shining. Check the long range forcast in advance of planning a trip. They are ususally right about 50% of the time.